[Modding]Creating your own weapons

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: [Modding]Creating your own weapons

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:23 pm

So the weapon card bug can be worked around by centring the weapon in an even larger mainly empty sprite. Still there is another glitch when the weapon is attached in weapon slots that protrude and retract their weapons along the x-axis (see auto scouts).
I guess on this slots the way the game handles weapon retraction (for deactivation) is via reverting the animation to its zero frame and than moving it to double its "mounting point" x value? Because when I try this weapons on the Torus it just floats rapidly out of screen upon deactivation. Same when its mounted on the AI ships.
I see no way work around that glitch as well... I would wish for an adjustable "deactivation point" value in the animation. I guess that could be included in Overdrive but yet again the aim there is to make beam colours customizable anyway... well lots of spriting for nothing... :(
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 pm

That "flying" can be just an error in the anim.xml. Make sure u using the right sizes on the values fh, fw or else it takes the wrong sections from the image. The mounting point is only there for the position of the weapon. Make sure there are only coordinates there, that are still on the weapon picture (so if your weapon is 52 pix high and 33 wide dont set the mount point something like x= -12 y = 66)
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure everything is set right. Beside the deactivation glitch the weapon animates correctly. Code wise it looks light this:

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="beam_baton" w="182" h="2000" fw="26" fh="2000">weapons/beam_baton_strip7.png</animSheet>

<weaponAnim name="beam_baton">
   <sheet>beam_baton</sheet>
   <desc length="8" x="0" y="0"/>
   <chargedFrame>1</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>2</fireFrame>
   <firePoint  x="17" y="981"/>
   <mountPoint x="5" y="1015"/>
   <chargeImage>weapons/beam_baton_glow.png</chargeImage>
</weaponAnim>
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:07 pm

The mount point is at 1015, I guess theres the problem. Try 2000 and 0 for comparison.
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
Boomaholic

Postby Boomaholic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm sorry if this has been asked I kinda skimmed over everything and couldn't find something relating to what i was wanting to do... but basically a weapon with ion back-splash.

I made a powerful laser w/ shield penetration, large damage, decent cooldown, but low power cost. as a side effect after firing i want do Ion damage to the user's shield. I tried adding event modifiers but that isn't didn't work. Just curious if anyone else has tried to do this?
TheNewbie

Postby TheNewbie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Explain Step 4. I try to do what you say, but the Cmd says: the ftldat is not recognized as a internal or external command or executable programme
TheSwiftTiger

Postby TheSwiftTiger » Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 am

AtillaBosma wrote:
buzzyrecky wrote:Wouldnt the shops/loot function for the weapons just be setting the rarity to anything but 0?

Also, if you could clarify what the bp/sp in the weapon stats is, I'd be appreciative. I'm trying this weapon stuff out for the first time and having a blast... hopefully it works.

I am not sure what BP and SP means, but I think that SP means how much Shield Points it penetrates.
So if their shield points is like, 5, and your weapon SP is 6 it penetrates the shield, but if your weapons SP is like 4, it takes away 4 shield points.

Seriously not sure about BP.

Rarity has to do with how rare it is for an event to drops it, not sure about that.

BP is a way of finding out how powerful a weapon/drone etc. is I think.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu May 30, 2013 11:29 am

For explanation of the purpose of each tag:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... BSFE#gid=0
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
eerie3

Postby eerie3 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:55 pm

so i've made my weapon, the game works with it installed just i cant get it on any of my ships, anyone have a solution?
jonny_AB

Postby jonny_AB » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 pm

For it to be apart of a ship's loadout at start, add it to the ship's blueprints and to the starting weapons list in blueprint.xml.
For it to be purchasable in stores, set the rarity to something other than 0.
For it to be on enemy ships, add it to autoBlueprints.xml.
My Mods:
Need to contact me? Shoot me a tweet @Jonny_AB