Ship Color Customization

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
IxFa

Ship Color Customization

Postby IxFa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Anyone that messes with paint, or any other free image editor, will see that filling in a box with a colour is very easy.

Mess with something slightly more advanced than MS Paint, like Paint.NET, will see you can even have a design that is partially transparent and you can easily change the color behind it.

You could even just edit the image's overall hue to pass it through all colours of the rainbow.

Colour-editing is really quite easy. Many games even support a colour slider to customize things. So how about we put that in FTL?

Does this engine have the ability to support such a system? What if I want to colour my Kestrel black? What if i want a Crystal Cruiser with green crystal instead of blue or red? Maybe I want a red one, but with the blue loadout!

If I could somehow assign different parts of the ship to a colour slider or selector, then each ship would feel so much more my own. Base colour, secondary, tetriary/highlight.

Could this be done? If so, what would I need to do? How do I make the save game keep track of the colours?
Sleeper Service

Re: Ship Color Customization

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm

This is pretty much impossible with what we have access here (mostly the games xml files.) Sorry. :| Some deeper code rewrite in the style of FTL overdrive would be required for this, and no one got this going till now.
IxFa

Postby IxFa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Damn, thought I was onto something. Thanks for a quick answer though.
xlandar
Location: Bravo squadron, 49th heavy artillery brigade, federation fleet

Postby xlandar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:09 am

I don't think it would be to hard for the devs to implement a system sort of like crew customization. wink wink nudge nudge.
art and coding tutorials wanted, pm if you have some good ones please!Image
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:53 am

I couldn't do it, but it wouldn't be very difficult for someone with more programming experience to write a program for this. You could choose one of the main hills and have a color slider like you were talking about which would change the design of the ship and the export the hull image in the games files and even replace the gibs probably. It could create a personal .ftl just for your ship recolor(s).

Again though, SOMEBODY with more programming experience would have to have the motivation, time, and ability to do this. The infamous SOMEBODY....

xlandar wrote:I don't think it would be to hard for the devs to implement a system sort of like crew customization. wink wink nudge nudge.

On sort of a side note, I think the devs are pretty much done with FTL now. :( They will probably move in to other games and they've stated that they don't really intend to make a sequel of FTL. However, I hope that they do continue to make some small updates to the game in the future at least. Honestly this is one of those "100 games you must play before you die" type things so everyone should buy this game.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:42 pm

Not colour customisation, but interesting nontheless;
You can have system sprites extend outside of the room, yes?
Maybe you could use this to add stuff to the hull to reflect the systems?

I.e. having Battery could add a small generator to the side of the ship, or swapping medbay and clonebay could change the symbols on a medic-ship.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:55 pm

@Gencool
Yes, it's possible, however the problem is that the interior images will become invisible when your sensors are out and you have no vision of the room.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL