game crashes in hangar when viewing modded ships.

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ZippyDragon

game crashes in hangar when viewing modded ships.

Postby ZippyDragon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:22 pm

the game will close when i view some modded ships in the hangar. currently happening with most of omicron dynasty and the diseunity.
"Advertise like shameless whores" - Jesse Cox
New Guy

Re: game crashes in hangar when viewing modded ships.

Postby New Guy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:24 pm

If you're using the latest AE version, those ships are still not updated for AE, thus causing the crash. The only thing you can do, bar from modding it yourself, is to wait until the authors update those.

A pity, since there's a ton of ships in the modding forum still not updated.
======================
[WIP] Federation Strike Cruiser | Progress: 100% Art, 0% Coding
(Project pending until Superluminal2)
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Any ship that uses artillery requires an update. If the ship doesn't use artillery, it should work, although some graphics won't be right since cloaking and room glows have changed.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:17 pm

What needs to be changed or added to mod ships to make them AE compatible? I was comparing a couple different mods, one AE-ready, and one not, and it seems like the few new systems are all that are added. So I tried manually editing those systems onto a non AE mod ship and it just crashes every time. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I missed adding the location for the newly-mannable systems. You have to specify where in the doors and sensors your crewmember is supposed to go, and I messed that up. It works now just by fixing that.
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Tue May 13, 2014 11:30 am

mikekearn wrote:EDIT: I missed adding the location for the newly-mannable systems. You have to specify where in the doors and sensors your crewmember is supposed to go, and I messed that up. It works now just by fixing that.

How do you do that with superluminal, it doesn't let me. My ships don't have artillery either, and they also crash in he hangar just like yours. What is a list of everything that I need to do in order to have a functional ship?
mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Tue May 13, 2014 9:50 pm

I wasn't using Superluminal, since (at least when I last checked) it hadn't updated to support ships post-AE. I was editing the XML files directly using Notepad++, since it color-codes the XML and makes it much easier to read. I just compared what I had to the default ships, after using the FTL Dat Manager to extract the files for the game. After closely examining both sets, I saw what I was missing. Manually creating a new ship entirely without an editor would be a lot tougher, though. I was just messing with existing ships.