[WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

Re: [WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Postby rannl » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:
rannl wrote:Well, I've thought of doing something like this in the past, but I wasn't sure therwould be a lot of demend for such a tool.
Clearly this would help out. So I'll start working on something, and try to get a simple prototype ASAP so this could become a living WIP with feedback from users.
Besides, RR can be very convincing when he wants to :D

I hope it's not too much work for you, but you seem to know what you're doing if you made Endless Loot possible. Event modding is one of the hardest things to get a grip on for new people and right now it has to be edited manually, meaning even experienced people can make mistakes. So a tool like this will be very useful!!!

Hah, when I'm "convincing" I hope I'm also not pestering people...

Your OK, RR.
A few thoughts about the event editor project.
An important rule of thumb for all programmers is never create code if an existing, open source app can do what you want (don't reinvent the wheel).
So I've been doing some research on existing xml editors, and one windows based c++ editor caught my eye:
FirstObject XML editor. It's well made and tailored for xml editing, and has the ability to create small functions using simplified c++ like language.
This looks like a possible solution: assuming I can create functionality which will present the events tree and simplify event generation, everybody will be happy. I recommend that any modded use a more xml oriented editor, instead of notepad like editors.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Ohman! Love that you're on board :D
So, it would be a plug in for FirstObject? Personally I use Notepad++ for the majority of my coding, but switching for a project if it's substantially easier would be absoltely fine by me ^^

Honestly, it will be an absolute godsend howeven you choose to go about it!
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:16 am

rannl wrote:This looks like a possible solution: assuming I can create functionality which will present the events tree and simplify event generation, everybody will be happy. I recommend that any modded use a more xml oriented editor, instead of notepad like editors.

That seems like it could work! I'd just like to repeat that, if you can create it, it will be very helpful for everyone, so thank you very much :)

For the ships, I created two enemy ships from different factions:

Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:29 am

Like the new baddies, my only thing is that the mossy looks like he's stood still. Maybe lift te wings and make the feet bend inwards a bit so that he's flying?
ImageImageImage
rannl

Postby rannl » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:13 pm

My laptop is being sent for maintenance. I won't be able to make much progress the next week or so.
Just a heads up.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:25 pm

rannl wrote:My laptop is being sent for maintenance. I won't be able to make much progress the next week or so.
Just a heads up.

That's fine. We're all very patient people. ;) You have to be if you're a modder.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:48 am

Gencool wrote:Like the new baddies, my only thing is that the mossy looks like he's stood still. Maybe lift te wings and make the feet bend inwards a bit so that he's flying?

You're right :O

I was lazy, so I only really changed some of the bottoms of the legs, if you guys think it still doesn't look fly enough, I'll work on it more.

Oh yeah, and I decided the Tesla-race should spiritually replace the Zoltan since they are both energy-based, and both has the Zoltan shield. And the gold-aesthetic-defense-whirl-plates faction will replace Rockmen instead, since they both look pretty durable.

rannl wrote:My laptop is being sent for maintenance. I won't be able to make much progress the next week or so.
Just a heads up.

That won't be a problem :) There is still a really long way ahead of us...

So the current plan (that might change) for the next couple of months for me:

I'm going to continue making scout enemy ships for the remaining factions and create the Slug, Crystal and Lanius replacing player ships, and then take a break from ship-making to start creating the gibs for all the old ships.

Then, I'll create another round of bigger enemy ships for each faction (with their gibs)

After that, I am going to make the Layout B and C of the player ships.

Then, another round of ships for each faction, and maybe add in a "Stealth" enemy ship and 2 additional rebels. (and maybe add in a couple recolored old enemies)

After that, I'll start making the rebel flagship...

And after ALL that, I'll start putting all of them into the game. And maybe write events.

That should leave us with 28 new player ships and 31+ new enemy ships (which is more than the original game).

The only problem with this mod is that until almost all the graphics are done, the mod might look pretty ugly.
If about 80% of the everything else is done before I finish my plan, I'll immediately start working on the boss, so we can get a beta release as soon as possible.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am

That sounds like a good plan. I imagine you'll finally get more done when summer comes.

Also, I had an idea for another type of ship. Couldn't there be some kind of steam plane? One that isn't a blimp, but a propeller plane run by steam?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Looks much more like it's flying now! I'd say try it with raised wings though?

Had a creative itch just and crewD just wasn't scratching it. Unfortunatly I have no internet here yet, so this is going up from my phone, meaning no awesome gifs (and probably some horrid compression)

Still, are these more like what you had in mind?
I'm using the crewD techniques to make mix-and-match kits, though getting skin tones to work when there's no clear male/female zoltan divide is gonna be a bit of an issue.
Not impossible, just awkward...

image.jpg
ImageImageImage
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Thu May 01, 2014 1:37 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Also, I had an idea for another type of ship. Couldn't there be some kind of steam plane? One that isn't a blimp, but a propeller plane run by steam?

I guess I'm going to try that for the next ship!

Gencool wrote:Looks much more like it's flying now! I'd say try it with raised wings though?

Alright alright...

Gencool wrote:Still, are these more like what you had in mind?
I'm using the crewD techniques to make mix-and-match kits, though getting skin tones to work when there's no clear male/female zoltan divide is gonna be a bit of an issue.
Not impossible, just awkward...
image.jpg

I think they look great! I really like how its somehow very similar to the humans in FTL. I think it's the shape of the heads and the fact that they have no eyes... I like it.