Re: [WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:26 pm

the rebel symbol is changed.

from MFK to ISC
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:09 am

xlandar wrote:are you going to change the rebel symbol? Also, how do you propose doing charge up animations?

I'd like to keep a couple hints that FTL and LTA are somehow connected... Maybe they are even happening in the same universe...

For the charging up animations... I guess the steampunk gears and other stuff could spin around. The barrel of the gun could also retract, before firing. Maybe pistons retracting one by one? Or a small pressure valve? I'm not sure... It's not as easy as simple lights for spaceguns.

R4V3-0N wrote:the rebel symbol is changed.

from MFK to ISC

Did we ever find out what MFK meant?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:28 am

nope. I still think it means Mayonnaise Frankfurter King though.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
rannl

Postby rannl » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:47 am

This mod seems like a very interesting idea. If you need any help, I'll be happy to lend a hand.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 pm

The problem with ionisation is that you can't short-circuit a steam engine.

I'm guessing by 'ionstorm' you mean that you'd just use the limit-setting thing on all encounters? Would definitely work...

Maybe steampacks are used to generate extra power. Every class has one, but they just use them differently.
Workers output raw power to systems, Vanquishers use them to power a jetpack like device, Gaurdians use them to power huge, mechanical, battle suits...

-also, does anyone know how the game draws the borders for rooms? I can find the door sprites (which I'd suggest changing to make them larger), but that's all...
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:29 pm

ion's = sludge or something like that? tar? Something that is stinky and annoying that jams systems.
I think you can change the ion numbers and room flashes into a grey or black as it is a image you can edit that isn't hard coded.

It can work for a steam engine (puts out the fire, blocks the pikes, stops the gears, etc) and other systems.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:ion's = sludge or something like that? tar? Something that is stinky and annoying that jams systems.
I think you can change the ion numbers and room flashes into a grey or black as it is a image you can edit that isn't hard coded.

It can work for a steam engine (puts out the fire, blocks the pikes, stops the gears, etc) and other systems.

That sounds like a pretty good idea and yes you can change the images for the system icons in the UI, BUT the blue flashes on the systems themselves. The icons that appear on your ship. Are hardcoded so they will always be blue.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:59 pm

rannl wrote:This mod seems like a very interesting idea. If you need any help, I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Any help would be useful! If there's anything you feel like doing, it would be very appreciated!

Gencool wrote:The problem with ionisation is that you can't short-circuit a steam engine.

It could be replaced with debris getting stuck in the gears?

Gencool wrote:I'm guessing by 'ionstorm' you mean that you'd just use the limit-setting thing on all encounters? Would definitely work...

That's what I meant. It wouldn't completely fix the reactor problem, but it would raise the cost of "one energy" to 50-60 scrap... Lower the price of everything else in the game by half, and most people would probably prefer buying a Pre-Igniter rather than one energy bar.

Gencool wrote:Maybe steampacks are used to generate extra power. Every class has one, but they just use them differently.
Workers output raw power to systems, Vanquishers use them to power a jetpack like device, Gaurdians use them to power huge, mechanical, battle suits...

That sounds interesting... It would make more sense for the different attributes. Civilians and Precogs wouldn't need to have any.

R4V3-0N wrote:ion's = sludge or something like that? tar? Something that is stinky and annoying that jams systems.

Russian Rockman wrote:That sounds like a pretty good idea and yes you can change the images for the system icons in the UI, BUT the blue flashes on the systems themselves. The icons that appear on your ship. Are hardcoded so they will always be blue.

I guess that also works... The UI problem shouldn't be THAT big of a disturbance... Unless... the tar is blue! The ships could fire some kind of blueberry jam that jams enemy systems! :lol:
ebilly99

Postby ebilly99 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Ion weapons, what if instead you used a tar gun that would Stick up the gears of a system. The system would have to be cleaned up before it could be reused? That way it actually makes sense in a way.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:26 pm

didn't I just say that?... :|
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.