R4V3-0N wrote:yes. I have a few idea for drones, but we can't make them face 'up' if you will. well maybe besides defense drones, but either way.
I would love to help you but I am helping with one mod, trying to do my own. etc.
Both overhauls and such.... but I wouldn't mind pinching in time to time.
I think I would be best to make drones.
It's fine! Any help is appreciated!
R4V3-0N wrote:Quick question, are you planning to keep shields in game? if not we need to rework the concept of weapons in ftl by a lot.
I think there won't be any shields in the current imagination of the mod. I agree we would need to heavily re-balance hull and weapons.
R4V3-0N wrote:I think upping the rarity of beam weapons would be in order. Beam being stuff like fire beam, focused sun light, etc.
replacing the concept of lasers with ballistics.
Missiles seem okay, just a bit more rare but not as rare as the other stuff.
I think ballistics should be the main weapon most groups will use. While being deserve such as a series of ballistics that can do extra damage to system, double hull damaging, shield pierce (1 bubble), incendiary (can cause fire), etc etc etc. Heavy (cannon) ballistics, fast breaching sniper. etc.
Just some ideas and concepts, I got quite a lot of ideas so if you do not like this one or want it altered I can patch up another right up for you.
These ideas are all decent and could all really fit into a steampunk world. I especially like the sun-beam though!
R4V3-0N wrote:I am on break for 2 weeks atm, I am board so I will most likely make a drone for you today.
Thanks a whole lot!
Russian Rockman wrote:The bug faction should probably just have wings though. That way not everyone has to have jet packs. Also the jet packs that Gencool made could easily be just jet burst/bursts of steam, not combustible jet packs. They only activate for a second at a time.
That makes a lot more sense in a steampunk world. Nice idea!
Russian Rockman wrote:Also, a couple questions on how you propose to handle certain things:
- Will you keep mind control, hacking, sensors, and the backup battery?
- As far as enemy ships go I realized that if you are doing a side view, then you don't have much room for them because the targeting window can only be expanded a few pixels.
- The enemy hull indicator will look weird past 22 pixels so if you want to make them stronger then that you may just want to give them beefed up versions of the Rock Armor augment.
- Flying drones, I would like to keep them, but will you be able to make them fit the side view style.
I think these are all systems that can be kept in the game, but I don't see a lot of people usng mind control and sensors when the energy is extremely limited and based on where the crew is. I'd rather have one more weapon than being able to mind control an enemy. (except for boarding events) Hacking can be useful since it has a cooldown, meaning that the human-zoltan doesn't have to be in the room all the time for it to work. Backup Battery would be super-useful because of this. The sensor system... I'm not so sure if it would be useful, but it can easily be in the game.
I also figured out that problem with the targeting window... I guess the enemy ships will be a lot taller than wide.
I guess using the rock armor augment could work... Or maybe giving them a OP healing drone?
For the flying drones, I know that the drone needs to be somewhat circular and rotate in every direction... It might be hard but hopefully the drones would still look good with those limitations.
Russian Rockman wrote:And some ideas:
- Shields may actually work as a sort of magnetic reflection field.
- Since the mod will focus more on hull and dealing with breaches you may want to be able to upgrade "pressure control" past level 3. If you removed doors that would make this even more necessary and kind of an interesting concept since you couldn't really balance out oxygen anymore between rooms. And on a side note I can see a Lanius automaton being interesting.
- The lack of shields will actually make it much easier to damage systems, which wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily if they weren't so hard to repair. Also crew will be much more vulnerable too. So as far as weapons go you may want to focus on weapons that do simple hull damage, cause breaches, cause fires, and then only certain classes of weapons that can actually damage systems and damage crew.
- And also, I thought I would let you know that I know a way how you could redo the entire upgrade screen so that it has your own descriptions of the upgrades for each system. No hardcoded explanations of what each upgrade does. It also wouldn't be as weird if you want to upgrade certain systems past 8 power. So when you get to that point.... Let me know.
Magnetic reflection field still doesn't sound extremely steampunk-y :/ But besides, a big reason for the removal of shields is because of the great amount of energy that shields need to operate. Always wasting those precious human-zoltans in the shield room wouldn't be very effective... Some of these ideas are great! I like the idea about weapons made for damaging systems... I'l let you know if I need the help for the upgrades
Russian Rockman wrote:Also, so much steampunk airship stuff on deviantart.
Obviously you can't use any of it directly without permission, but for inspiration I suggest you take a look.
I already checked most of deviantart for inspiration Thanks for the advice anyways!