[MOD][COMATOSE] Open Artillery v0.32

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
dmi3

Re: [MOD][WIP] Open Artillery v0.32

Postby dmi3 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:02 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Hey dmi, I went through all the files in the new version and made a few small changes, fixed a few problems. There were a few ships that had the artillery overlapping other systems, the crystal ship was using the laser artillery, and other things like that all of which I can't remember right now.

Yeah, I realized the crystal artillery wasn't assigned shortly after 0.32 was uploaded. Thanks for all the help, by the way. I think you've done more work on this mod than I have.

Generic Artillery: I can confirm that the 0 radius thing you found does work ;) , the artillery will always hit the center of random rooms and will not miss more than normal. I checked the Fed C Flak Artillery and it has a radius of 35, so that is why it does not miss very often. While this can be useful, I actually think that having a higher chance of missing would balance the artillery since it has 6 shots. So maybe it should have a radius between 35-70 and/or only 5 shots. What do you think? Also, keep in mind that the artillery fires "heavy" lasers with a higher fire and breach chance than normal lasers, which also makes it even more powerful.

I think it's good to have the radius fit within a 2x2 room, but not a 2x1. Ideally it should be slightly more powerful than a BL3.
Engi Artillery: With the discovery that the radius applies to each room individually when using Burst Artillery, the radius for the Engi ship should probably be decreased to something like 70, that way it still won't be as good against systems, but right now it often even misses the shields entirely. :lol:

Mantis Artillery: Same as the Engi Ship, I think the Mantis Artillery should have a radius of 35, with this tweak it should hit pretty much every room on the ship, making it extremely useful for boarding preperation. :) I do not think the weapon should do system damage though because it has sooo many projectiles and such a large range. A very slight breach chance is fine though. What do you think? Also should I change the projectiles to tiny "scatter" missiles? I think the artillery should be like CE's flashbang missiles, just with added Mantis flavor.

Agreed. These two were designed with the idea that every shot would hit in the same radius, so now that we know that's not true they should be adjusted. If that's the case, mantis artillery will be hitting too many rooms to make system damage fair. As for graphics, I always imagined it as small, corrosive doodads.
Slug Artillery: After playing with this the 3 shots is not a problem at all, in fact it feels like the weapon got stronger! :lol: I was generally able to kill the enemy's crew every time with a level 2 artillery. It is much more effective than the Zoltan artillery because the enemy crew has to deal with the fire and breaches before they can repair their systems. I think the weapon should do only 1 system damage to keep the Zoltan Artillery more unique. Perhaps the Breach/Fire chance should be changed to 5/4 also so that it has a high chance of causing a hazard, but still not a %100 chance. I also added in a slight stun chance.

I was afraid of this one missing systems altogether, but hadn't tested it much. Trading hazard chance for stun seems smart.
Zoltan Artillery: 2 system damage is a lot better than 3 system damage each! But now the beam is a bit more on the underpowered side than the overpowered side. To find the middle ground a had an idea, what if the beam also stunned crew? Even if it just stunned them for just 3-5 seconds that would prevent them from repairing the systems right away and give the beam a little while longer to charge up again. The fire chance should probably be decreased back to 1 though in that case, I noticed that it was setting a bit too many fires. Which brings me too...

It does seem like 3 fire chance is too high, considering the length. A few seconds of stun would work well.
Rock Artillery: This thing is sooo satisfying, but right now it's a monster. :lol: A Fire Beam in vanilla gas a fire chance of 8 and a length of 140. The Sunfire Beam is basically the same, but nearly THREE times as long. So it is impossible for the enemy crew to put all the fires out before the beam charges up again. Even at 1 power it isn't hard to kill the enemy crew with this... :roll: So it should probably either have a Fire Chance of 6 and/or a shortened beam length, something like 250-300???

I really hadn't thought of the Sunfire's balance at all. I think it's best to keep the length more or less the same and decrease its fire chance.
Lanius Artillery: I really like this one, I like the description, and I like what it does. However, it is slightly buggy, I will use an analogy yo explain... In CE Sleeper originally had an Anti-Bio Beam drone. It was buggy because it would not hit certain rooms due to the way the AI aims beams, therefore it could not do what it was meant to do it could not kill off all the enemy crew because they would hide in the rooms it could not hit. So he took that drone out of the CE mod. The Lanius Artillery does sort of the same thing right now, it will often hit the same few rooms and drain the oxygen from them entirely, but will not hit other rooms at all. This isn't as much of a problem with the Rock Artillery because fire spreads... Fire also does system damage so that is another plus over the Lanius Artillery.

So here is my suggestion for the Lanius... I think it should be more of a flak type weapon than a beam, that way it will be able to hit all rooms with the same probability. It could fire something like small shards of Lanius metal which embed themselves in the enemy ship and not only cause breaches, but suck the oxygen out of rooms. It would also add even more variety to the artillery... One less beam... But I think something like this is necessary for the weapon to work more consistently.

My idea here, if we get the different cooldowns working intuitively, is to make the Anaerobizer a (relatively) fast shield piercing laser type that shoots one or two hull breaching shots. This would fix its targeting and make it even more unique, since only the crystal artillery is laser-based.

I'm excited to see your improvements, especially the stealth artillery. If you put it up tomorrow, I should be able to check everything and upload the first officially "working" version.
Russian Rockman

Re: [MOD][WIP] Open Artillery v0.32

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue May 13, 2014 3:34 am

dmi3 wrote:Yeah, I realized the crystal artillery wasn't assigned shortly after 0.32 was uploaded. Thanks for all the help, by the way. I think you've done more work on this mod than I have.

Maybe that's technically true, but you did all of the initial xml stuff and by you using the SMM mod: tags you basically taught me how to use these so thank you fore that. :D I would never have started this on my own either. Most of what I did was make the interior images and test out each of the artillery for balancing and that was fun. ;)

Sleeper Service wants to add player artillery into CE now, but he's making his own weapons based around the CE ones. I sent him some stuffs we've done sincere will make our job easier if he adds it into CE directly. We will not have to make a compatibility patch. ;) I told him to credit you if he uses anything from this mod. I hope your OK with that. I'll PM you the more [classified] details.

Generic Artillery:
I think it's good to have the radius fit within a 2x2 room, but not a 2x1. Ideally it should be slightly more powerful than a BL3.

Alright then I will add it a small radius of 35, than shout make it just barely better than the Burst laser III, though I think even with 5 shots would be because of the higher breach and fire chance.

Engi & Mantis Artillery:
Agreed. These two were designed with the idea that every shot would hit in the same radius, so now that we know that's not true they should be adjusted. If that's the case, mantis artillery will be hitting too many rooms to make system damage fair. As for graphics, I always imagined it as small, corrosive doodads.

OK, I'll change the radius on the Engi one to 70 so it still has a higher chance of missing. I probably won't mess with the projectile amount. The Mantis Artillery I'll probably give a radius of 35 so it can ideally hit as many rooms as possible. Even having a radius of 17 might not be too bad for it, but I'll leave it at 35 since it will still have a small breach chance. Probably won't mess with the number of projectiles on that either.

I'll leave the Mantis projectile graphics the way they are currently since they look cool red. If you want to change them to missiles or something else though later, go ahead. ;)

Slug Artillery:
I was afraid of this one missing systems altogether, but hadn't tested it much. Trading hazard chance for stun seems smart.

if even one of these bombs hits a system that system is screwed. :lol: Most enemies don't seem to have evade chances beyond %30-%35 though that is an assumption. Ideally at least 2 of these bombs should hit each time. They also have the added bonus of being able to bypass defense drones. I think what I'll do is give the bombs a 4/4 Fire/Breach a chance for now and maybe a guaranteed 3 second stun or relatively high stunChance.

Also :D came up with a name for them now finally!! Maelstrom Cluster Bomb!! Sounds pretty Sluggish I think.

Zoltan Artillery:
It does seem like 3 fire chance is too high, considering the length. A few seconds of stun would work well.

Yeah I think I'll give it about 5 or 10 seconds of stun, that should prevent the crew from repairing things to fast without actually increasing the damage. 8-)

Rock Artillery:
I really hadn't thought of the Sunfire's balance at all. I think it's best to keep the length more or less the same and decrease its fire chance.

I agree with that. It is better to light the fires over a wider are than a shorter are and just more of them. I will decrease the fire chance to 5 or 6 and that should work well. It'll still be pretty dangerous and oh so enjoyable! :D

Lanius Artillery:
My idea here, if we get the different cooldowns working intuitively, is to make the Anaerobizer a (relatively) fast shield piercing laser type that shoots one or two hull breaching shots. This would fix its targeting and make it even more unique, since only the crystal artillery is laser-based.

That's a very good idea. I am sorry I haven't had time to make a graduated artillery cooldown timer. :( For now maybe what we should do is make the Lanius artillery is make it sort of like CE's Light Lasers, just without the personnel damage. It should be able to create about 4-5 breaches like it does right now, just more consistently spread out over multiple rooms. What I'll do is write up a a Blueprint in the comment block for a laser based version of this artillery and you can decide what you want to do with it.

I'm excited to see your improvements, especially the stealth artillery. If you put it up tomorrow, I should be able to check everything and upload the first officially "working" version.

I will upload it tonight after I make the changes I just said. Thanks for giving me your opinion. :D
dmi3

Re: [MOD][COMATOSE] Open Artillery v0.32

Postby dmi3 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:33 pm

It turns out that buying artillery in stores triggers a game-crashing bug. In light of this, I'm going to stop working on OA unless Subset gets it working. The link is still up, though, and anyone who wants to use the files for custom ships or weapons or whatever is free to do so.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue May 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Weird, that never happened to me pre-AE. Are you sure the artilleries are all linked to the right weapons?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue May 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Crashes happen when a ship with artillery start="false" with artillery installed is loaded. That affects enemies that have artillery available and happen to get spawned with it and the player once he/she bought artillery from a store and reloads a save game with that ship. All that indeed worked out fine before AE, but now it does not.