Mod to make Zoltan crew less annoying?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
zarakon

Mod to make Zoltan crew less annoying?

Postby zarakon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm

One thing that's always bothered me about FTL is how the Zoltan crew member power works. I hate needing to micromanage their energy bonus as they walk around, and I find it especially dumb that in a weapons room the bonus power can only go toward the first weapon.

Is there any mod that will modify the behavior of their bonus to be less of a hassle? At the very least I'd like to get a fix to the weapon issue. Even though it would make them slightly more powerful, it would also be cool if they just added to total system power while onboard, regardless of what room they're in.

I didn't see anything obvious in the master mod list post, and a google search didn't turn up anything useful. Searching the forums is useless because it ignores "zoltan", "power", and "mod".
Kieve

Re: Mod to make Zoltan crew less annoying?

Postby Kieve » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:37 pm

The behavior is hardcoded, and not one of the things we can mod with the methods available. It'd require an executable hack in order to alter it.
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 am

Ah, unfortunate.

Thanks for the info
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:50 am

Micromanagement of zoltans is one of the cons, free power that's immune to ion damage is a pro.
I don't mind having 2 shield bars that are immune to ion.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 am

If you think about it, everything must be balanced... ish... for any ship to have any value. The Carnelian and Crystal in general are not included in that list.
The Zoltan offer free power (Beyond normal reactor limits, might I add) at the cost of it's always in the room they are stationed at. It's worth it.