[Modding] R&D and current findings

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Yourshadow

Re: [Modding] R&D and current findings

Postby Yourshadow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Code: Select all

<eventList name="ALISON_DEFECTOR_QUEST">
   <event>
      <text>Arriving at the specified coordinates you find a sizable stash of useful materials.</text>
      <autoReward level="HIGH">stuff</autoReward>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>You arrive at location of the hoard, but discover that it was not quite as large as advertised.</text>
      <autoReward level="LOW">scrap_only</autoReward>
   </event>
</eventList>

I have a question here about this event do both of the events happen? Or is it determined by the autoReward?
BlackAlpha

Postby BlackAlpha » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm

One of the events is chosen randomly.
CaptainShooby

Postby CaptainShooby » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 am

BlackAlpha wrote:Why release mods on a Wiki? That makes no sense. Storing files on Wikis always makes them cluttered. It's not a good way to organize mods. It would be much better to create a modding section on this forum.

You're quite right. I never intended for the wiki to be used as a hosting platform, but as a place to share information. I only suggest we gather links and such there. Quite a few tiny mods are popping up here and there and it'd be a shame if they got lost under all the threads on the discussion board.
Cmdr.Redshirt

Postby Cmdr.Redshirt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:36 am

I was wondering if someone could write up a rough guide on how to make custom ships. It doesn't have to be perfect - just a basic overview would be nice. I'm particularly lost as to how the room layout file works.

And thanks in advance from all us n00b shipwrights who are dreaming of the stars.
Vaughner

Postby Vaughner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:34 am

Cmdr.Redshirt wrote:I was wondering if someone could write up a rough guide on how to make custom ships. It doesn't have to be perfect - just a basic overview would be nice. I'm particularly lost as to how the room layout file works.

And thanks in advance from all us n00b shipwrights who are dreaming of the stars.

I am working on this right now. Might be a week or so as I am on a ship in the South Pacific at the time and have a lot of my own work to do. So far, I have created a fresh shipname.txt file. Edited the blueprints.xml file to change the placement of the system. Decoded what half of the interior images are for, IE: 1x2 room, 2x1 room, or 2x2 room and which wall/corner the system is on. Working on the graphics and .gibs right now. Need to create the overview image, the floor plan image, and the .gibs so the ship will blow up properly. The coding for this is in the shipname.xml file.

So I have made a lot of progress but still a lot to go. Unfortunately, I only have Gimp to work with the graphics on and am not a big fan of it. I will be checking the forum daily so if there are any questions, just ask. I might start creating the tutorial and explanation page for you tonight though.
kevinandersson

Postby kevinandersson » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:38 am

Vaughner wrote:
Cmdr.Redshirt wrote:I was wondering if someone could write up a rough guide on how to make

I am working on this right now. Might be a week or so as I am on a ship in the South Pacific at the time and have a lot of my own work to do. So far, I have created a fresh shipname.txt file. Edited the blueprints.xml file to change the placement of the system. Decoded what half of the interior images are for, IE: 1x2 room, 2x1 room, or 2x2 room and which wall/corner the system is on. Working on the graphics and .gibs right now. Need to create the overview image, the floor plan image, and the .gibs so the ship will blow up properly. The coding for this is in the shipname.xml file.

So I have made a lot of progress but still a lot to go. Unfortunately, I only have Gimp to work with the graphics on and am not a big fan of it. I will be checking the forum daily so if there are any questions, just ask. I might start creating the tutorial and explanation page for you tonight though.

Vaughner, if you want you can use my assets of the NX-1 for your writeup. (As well as for the interface if you want to write a guide on that as well)
Cmdr.Redshirt

Postby Cmdr.Redshirt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:35 am

Vaughner wrote:I am working on this right now. Might be a week or so as I am on a ship in the South Pacific at the time and have a lot of my own work to do.

Don't worry about helping me out and just get the guide up to your satisfaction - I can wait a few weeks. Besides I could use the time to get resources (screenshots, concept art, etc.) and ideas in order.

Also, sorry you don't like GIMP. It's been invaluable to my modding "career". Is the problem with it technical? Maybe I can help you out.
Last edited by Cmdr.Redshirt on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
buzzyrecky

Postby buzzyrecky » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:54 am

I've been figuring out how to code events, and after finding the sectordata xml everything FINALLY makes sense, but I was wondering two things:

-Is there any way to tell an even to take a specific weapon from you? You can do it with crew/fuel/missiles/etc... but what if I wanted an event to take my Leto?

-Where is the shop data located?

If anyone can answer I'd be very appreciative.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:45 am

It's definitely possible to remove augments, and given the way the game is coded, I wouldn't be surprised if you can remove weapons as well.
Take the sectorEnergy.xml and search for the Crystal-Alien-Revive event, it removes the Damaged Statis Pod augment.

Shop appears to be hardcoded (like the randomReward engine, too), couldn't find anything yet and in-code it's merely called <store/> without any reference.
Greetz,
Alblaka
generalTostada

Postby generalTostada » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:26 am

This is an awesome game and you all are awesome for trying to mod this and expand what we can do with it.
Have you thought about "crew events"? As in, ie, between jumps you get a random event with someone in your crew and have to deal with it and the results would be reflected in some way. Like finding out your engi gunner has been tinkering with your laser burst I and some drone parts and could either transform it into an anti-ship I drone or a laser burst II.