AE R&D - What is new? What can we do now?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: AE R&D - What is new? What can we do now?

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 am

RAD-82 wrote:Reactors above the normal limit crash the game when entering ion storms. (Test: My OP Testrel has extra power, and it couldn't enter an ion storm. Game auto-saves now, so progress isn't lost. Sorry, Potential. It seems your days might be numbered.)

Yeah, I guess the potential could still start with full standard power (25) and a boasted backup battery. Would make the early game feel the same as before and add a new aspect to the late game, once you upgraded system beyond you starting power.

kartoFlane wrote:When shields are hit by ion beam, 1 bar of shield system gets ionised. I have no idea whether this increases with more shield layers / more ion damage.

Interesting, but the problem with random full shield ionazition usually just shows with shields that have more than one layer.

kartoFlane wrote:More likely than the above, ion damage is applied in half- or one-second ticks, once per room. Which would coincide with my other observations when I fought a zoltan ship: shields weren't down instantly, but instead took 2 and then 3 damage, roughly in that interval (0.5 - 1 second)

I actually think that when beam damage is dealt to Zoltan shields completely depends on beam length and beam speed. The damage is always dealt two times as th beam line, once when it completed 30% (?) of its beam lane, second time when it has completed 60% (or all?) of its beam line. Can be tested with long, slow beams. How much damage it deals to Zoltan shields is always the same in the end (double the normal). The question is if ion damage on beams observe these rules now...
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:17 pm

About the Potential:

My younger brother's testing shows that a ship with 28 (or 38, don't remember anymore) power will enter ion storms and be treated just like it should, no crashing.

Replacing systems:

Medbay and clone bay replacing each other appears to be hardcoded. I can't be certain, as I haven't tested yet and I've only glanced at the code, but from what I could tell and what I think I've read other posters say...
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 pm

@Potential: The game crashed when I click start with the Potential; it can't even load with all that power. I don't remember how much power my OP Testrel had when it crashed, but I think it was some random number like 44.

@Ion Beams: They look to be the same for me. The Advanced Hacking System on my Frankenstein works like it always did, except now it is PURPLE! :lol: Unfortunately, I ran into a few other problems that I still need to fix before releasing an update.

My A.H.S. uses a 1 length / 1 speed beam with 2 ion damage and 1 system damage. In order to pierce 1 layer of shield and still hit the system beneath, I had to set shield piercing to 2. During my recent test against 4 layers of shields, it would usually hit 3 times, leaving 1 shield layer left, but sometimes was capable of hitting a fourth time and completely removing the shield.

@Eight system cap: When including the subsystems, there appears to be a 12 system cap. My Frankenstein test started with nine systems and two subsystems. The upgrade screen UI only has 3 subsystem slots instead of 4. When I bought a subsystem, I couldn't find anymore stores that would include a system section. I don't know what would've happened if that store had offered both of the missing subsystems.

@Medbay/Clonebay: Assigning them to different rooms does not allow you to have both. It will remove the other one.

I feel like I'm forgetting something again... :?
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
jhmgrose

Postby jhmgrose » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:24 pm

This one will be a lot more meta, but FTL Profile Editor v18 has become outdated, and the achievements and suspended data is no longer editable. If it's doable, I'd like to have the Profile Editor updated for Advanced Edition.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:05 am

I may have some time to fiddle with my mods (including Potential which I know is totally broken right now) but I wonder, how are people adding new stuff to ships right now? Just editing the blueprints xml manually?

I'm allergic to too much xml editing :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 am

jhmgrose wrote:This one will be a lot more meta, but FTL Profile Editor v18 has become outdated, and the achievements and suspended data is no longer editable. If it's doable, I'd like to have the Profile Editor updated for Advanced Edition.

Vhati is already working on it. It hasn't even been a week since AE was released, be patient.

5thHorseman wrote:I may have some time to fiddle with my mods (including Potential which I know is totally broken right now) but I wonder, how are people adding new stuff to ships right now? Just editing the blueprints xml manually?

I'm allergic to too much xml editing :D

I'd imagine. Superluminal is basically non-functional right now, so the only way you can add the new systems / stuff is via XML editing. You can still edit txt layout files using the editor, though.

@RAD-82
It's probably just me not having tested ion beams previously, then *shrug*
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:19 am

It has always been a dream of mine to be able to add new systems... However, this will most likely never be possible.

Although... :-). With the Advanced Edition this might be somewhat possible, to an extent, using the new way artillery works. Since the artillery now is versatile in the way it is tied to different weapons. These weapons can then be linked to events.

A commonly requested example: A Rock Ram weapon/system. The ram itself is a dummy weapon, however it can be made so that away the beginning of any fight an option to use the ram is given. Using the new ae event options it could damage a random system or a system of your choosing from the start. This is similar to the way the Captain's Edition uses special augments to give faction specific choices, except it uses a system rather than an augment. Only downside obviously is that there is one less system slot.
jeffg10

Postby jeffg10 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:23 am

dalolorn wrote:About the Potential:

My younger brother's testing shows that a ship with 28 (or 38, don't remember anymore) power will enter ion storms and be treated just like it should, no crashing.

Replacing systems:

Medbay and clone bay replacing each other appears to be hardcoded. I can't be certain, as I haven't tested yet and I've only glanced at the code, but from what I could tell and what I think I've read other posters say...

i have done some tests and i think the maximum power you can have without a crash is about 50 - 60 i would need to do more tests for the exact numbers *ion storms not included just starting game*
xlandar

Postby xlandar » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:13 am

Just a quick quirk i noticed, Engis don't have any layers for some reason.
art and coding tutorials wanted, pm if you have some good ones please!Image
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:32 am

jeffg10 wrote:i have done some tests and i think the maximum power you can have without a crash is about 50 - 60 i would need to do more tests for the exact numbers *ion storms not included just starting game*

Thanks for doing that much legwork. I plan on taking it when I edit the Potential. 80 (or whatever I set it to) was overkill anyway. 50 should be fine :)

xlandar wrote:Just a quick quirk i noticed, Engis don't have any layers for some reason.

I think it's because they're robotic. They're supposed to all look alike.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."