MrRazerWolf

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby MrRazerWolf » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 am

Alright thank you very much :)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:12 am

Lightwavers wrote:Now the selection of whether or not I want to investigate the wormhole appears, and if you click no, nothing happens. However, if I click yes, it just loads a random event from the game.

Errors I am getting with the error checker:
Referenced event or eventList does not exist.
Referenced text list does not exist.
This element has an invalid name, or cannot be a child to its ancestor.

Looking over the code I posted, I see I missed a mistake and it may be causing problems.

Find this line:

<textList name="SELL_WORMHOLE_DATA"/>

and remove the slash at the end so it looks like this:

<textList name="SELL_WORMHOLE_DATA">

If that doesn't fix your problem, then I'm at a loss, because I couldn't see any other errors.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:23 am

FederationScumX1999 wrote:I've run into an oddity. A new modder wanted to create a burst artillery that gases the enemy ship, killing everyone on board (though the original cooldown was like 200 seconds). He made some custom resources to go with it. The sounds themselves work fine and the gun is borrowed from CE (appearing as the Ion Burst Stun), but whenever the gun attempts to fire, the game crashes. Switching the custom projectile to a flak projectile temporarily, the gun fired just fine.

I can't figure out why the custom projectile is causing issues since it was meant to replace med_flak and therefore uses the same dimensions and info for its animations (with different names linking to the image in the Weapons folder and specific reference, of course). I even tried re-exporting the image to ensure it wasn't because there was some issue with the format, and it still crashed.

I include a download of the mod as it is so far if anyone would like to take a closer look at the coding or images. I would appreciate any help, especially from someone who has plenty of experience designing artillery and weapons.

Note: I have noticed that the weapon doesn't do bio-damage in its current state. The addition of bio-damage changed nothing.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6v0z2 ... ocaust.zip

I see a typo in the projectile name. It should be holocaust_gas_med, not holocasut_gas_med.

There is no <persDamage> tag in the blueprint, so it doesn't do any crew damage. Each point of persDamage does 15 crew damage.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:28 am

Captain Markus wrote:Is this possible to make weapon like Chain Vulcan (Laser), but boosts not cooldown, as example damage or shoots ?

Code: Select all

<boost>
      <type>damage</type>
      <amount>2</amount>
      <count>5</count>

<boost>
      <type>shoots</type>
      <amount>2</amount>
      <count>5</count>

will this work?

Only cooldown and damage work. The game wasn't programmed to boost other stats.
MrRazerWolf

Postby MrRazerWolf » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:17 am

So someone posted the names for the sounds, is there a way i can find names for different styles of shots? (EG the planetary defense ones, the heavy laser ones etc) and also any place for new sounds other then ones in the game. Thank you!
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Lightwavers

Postby Lightwavers » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:27 am

RAD-82 wrote:
Lightwavers wrote:Now the selection of whether or not I want to investigate the wormhole appears, and if you click no, nothing happens. However, if I click yes, it just loads a random event from the game.

Errors I am getting with the error checker:
Referenced text list does not exist.

Looking over the code I posted, I see I missed a mistake and it may be causing problems.

Find this line:

<textList name="SELL_WORMHOLE_DATA"/>

and remove the slash at the end so it looks like this:

If that doesn't fix your problem, then I'm at a loss, because I couldn't see any other errors.

I have removed the slash, but the same 6 errors still appear. I will match the errors with the code that it says is in error.

1. Referenced event or eventList does not exist.
<event load="CONSULT_WORMHOLE" />

2. Referenced event or eventList does not exist.
<event load="FIFTY_FIFTY_WORMHOLE" />

3. Referenced text list does not exist.
<text load="SELL_WORMHOLE_DATA" />

4. This element has an invalid name, or cannot be a child to its ancestor.

5. This element has an invalid name, or cannot be a child to its ancestor.
<eventList name="FIFTY_FIFTY_WORMHOLE">

6. This element has an invalid name, or cannot be a child to its ancestor.
<eventList name="CONSULT_WORMHOLE">
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are all the custom event names I put in... do I need to create another file that describes what these do instead of putting them all in the events.xml.append?
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:04 am

Lightwavers wrote:I have removed the slash, but the same 6 errors still appear. I will match the errors with the code that it says is in error.

I looked over it again, and I found another error. My eyes are bad... :( This error may have also been my fault, since I had to change so much around.

In the eventList CAUTIOUS_WORMHOLE, in the first choice where you detonate your fuel, I forgot to include a slash to close an event tag. My code here is pointing it out, not fixing it, so don't copy this.

<choice hidden="true">
         <text>Detonate your fuel reserves in order to reach it.</text>
         <event>
            <text>Your ship accelerates at terrifying speeds, and the detonation damages your ships hull, but you made it to the wormhole just as it is about to fade away.</text>
            <item_modify>
               <item type="fuel" min="-12" max="-8"/>
            </item_modify>
            <damage amount="10"/>
            <choice>
               <text>Continue...</text>
               <event load="UNSAFE_WORMHOLE"/>
            </choice>
         <event>    <----  Right here should be </event>, not <event>
      </choice>

The problem with these slashes that I've missed is that it messes up all of the code that follows. That is why one mistake can appear to be many.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:43 am

To elaborate on that, see not closing the event tags properly as not closing parentheses properly in a mathematical equation:

What does this mean?

(2+2*3

This will evaluate to 2+(2*3) = 2+6 = 8
And what does this mean?

(2+2)*3

This will evaluate to (2+2)*3 = 4*3 = 12

Not properly closing code tags like <event> with a corresponding </event> will make the game think that everything below the <event> tag is part of that particular event, when your <event> tag should actually have been closed by a </event> tag following it further down, closing the evaluation of that particular event.

See <event> as "(" and </event> as ")" in a mathematical equation and the analogy should follow logically.

What does this mean?

<event>
  <text>Hello!</text>
<event>
  <text>Who are you?</text>
</event>

This evaluates as one event calling the text "Hello!" having within it nested another event calling "Who are you?" as text.

What does this mean?

<event>
  <text>Hello!</text>
</event>
<event>
  <text>Who are you?</text>
</event>

These are two entirely separate events, one calling the text "Hello!" and the other calling the text "Who are you?" when either are loaded.

Just mentioning this for anyone who's confused about how tags work and why it's important to check that each is closed properly.

PS
My code examples won't work in-game. They are highly simplified examples to keep the amount of code to a minimum. Bare basics, if you will. You'd have to incorporate the <event>s in a properly loaded event of their own if you'd want to test this in-game. Also, there's no proper event-chaining. You'd need choice options to continue to the next nested event etc. etc.. Look up a proper event coding example for this.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:20 am

MrRazerWolf wrote:So someone posted the names for the sounds, is there a way i can find names for different styles of shots? (EG the planetary defense ones, the heavy laser ones etc) and also any place for new sounds other then ones in the game. Thank you!

Those are just animations listed in animations.xml. Any <anim> tag can be used as a projectile.

Also for future reference, since apparently not many people are aware of that: the database of errors in the ErrorChecker is incomplete. However, it is also not hardcoded, and can be modified by anyone.
If you have the aptitude for programming, check out the database/ folder in the ErrorChecker's directory. Script files can be added/modified at will (though new scripts have to be listed in validation_scripts.json, under the name of the tag they can check)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Lightwavers

Postby Lightwavers » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:48 pm

RAD-82 wrote:
Lightwavers wrote:I have removed the slash, but the same 6 errors still appear. I will match the errors with the code that it says is in error.

I looked over it again, and I found another error. My eyes are bad... :( This error may have also been my fault, since I had to change so much around.

In the eventList CAUTIOUS_WORMHOLE, in the first choice where you detonate your fuel, I forgot to include a slash to close an event tag. My code here is pointing it out, not fixing it, so don't copy this.

<choice hidden="true">
         <text>Detonate your fuel reserves in order to reach it.</text>
         <event>
            <text>Your ship accelerates at terrifying speeds, and the detonation damages your ships hull, but you made it to the wormhole just as it is about to fade away.</text>
            <item_modify>
               <item type="fuel" min="-12" max="-8"/>
            </item_modify>
            <damage amount="10"/>
            <choice>
               <text>Continue...</text>
               <event load="UNSAFE_WORMHOLE"/>
            </choice>
         <event>    <----  Right here should be </event>, not <event>
      </choice>

The problem with these slashes that I've missed is that it messes up all of the code that follows. That is why one mistake can appear to be many.

Thank you! This community is fantastic. :D