Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
StilleLibelldra

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! Updated Dec 12th!

Postby StilleLibelldra » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Kieve wrote:
StilleLibelldra wrote:Again, anything I'm doing wrong?

Gotta be a problem with the way the image is saved. If no image is found, you'd get a white triangular /!\ warning symbol. Because it's simply invisible, that suggests an issue with the image format. Try resaving it as 32-bit PNG and see if it'll appear.

It was a problem with how the image was saved. Changed it to a 32-bit PNG and worked perfectly. Thank you!
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Where do you find the data for weapons?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 pm

agigabyte wrote:Where do you find the data for weapons?

Weapon stats are in blueprints.xml
Weapon sprites and animation sheets are in animations.xml
Sound effects are defined in sounds.xml
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:21 am

I have one question. All I need to know is where this is located:

Code: Select all

Patching failed: org.jdom2.JDOMException: While processing "The SUrprise.ftl:data/animations.xml.append (wrapped)", strict parsing failed, then sloppy parsing failed: [b]Error on line 1: At line 1, column 92[/b]: Unexpected characters.

This is bugging me so much. As far as I can tell, I've done everything right here. I've studied the same files from other ships that function, and they look the same. Please, put me out of my misery.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:47 am

theDoomBox wrote:I have one question. All I need to know is where this is located:

Code: Select all

Patching failed: org.jdom2.JDOMException: While processing "The SUrprise.ftl:data/animations.xml.append (wrapped)", strict parsing failed, then sloppy parsing failed: [b]Error on line 1: At line 1, column 92[/b]: Unexpected characters.

This is bugging me so much. As far as I can tell, I've done everything right here. I've studied the same files from other ships that function, and they look the same. Please, put me out of my misery.

Seems pretty clearcut to me: "Unexpected characters" on line 1 (the beginning) of your mod's animations.xml.append.
This might be the Unicode issue I've seen crop up here and there, where your notepad has simply saved it in the wrong format. If it's the same code as you linked previously, that seems like the most likely answer, as I can't find anything wrong with the code itself.
Look over this and see if that helps you out any.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks, I got that down now. I still have figure out what I'm doing wrong though, because when I load up ftl my custom weapon is a complete mess. Thanks for the help!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:00 pm

theDoomBox wrote:Thanks, I got that down now. I still have figure out what I'm doing wrong though, because when I load up ftl my custom weapon is a complete mess. Thanks for the help!

Define "A complete mess." Misaligned according to the ship, pixels stretched funny, does not animate correctly...?
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Its not actually as bad as I made it sound. My weapon image doesn't show up, it has no name, the in game cooldown meter goes infinitely up, and when I fire it ftl crashes. Its probably something I could easily fix though.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 pm

• "My weapon image doesn't show up,"
    -If the weapon is invisible, it's likely the 32-bit PNG issue. Resave the sprite sheet as 32-bit and you should be fine.
  • "it has no name, the in game cooldown meter goes infinitely up,"
    -Bad code with your blueprint, sounds like. If you can't get it working, post the code for your weapon's blueprint and we'll see where the problem may lie.
  • "and when I fire it ftl crashes."
    -Could be a few things, but crashing usually indicates bad XML code. Be sure your projectile is named properly and that the blueprint is calling that name, verbatim. Best guess, your weapon is trying to fire a projectile the game cannot locate.
jhmgrose

Postby jhmgrose » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:07 pm

This is my first time trying to make a mod, and I'd like to improve upon the Star Trek sounds mod by adding additional sounds from Trek Core. I'd like to know how to edit sound files in the .dat before I try anything.