Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby NarnKar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:34 pm

I think the beams just straight-up don't work, neither double-barreled nor double-strength.

Interesting idea with the Charge Flak. I haven't tested it yet (although I will; you've sparked my interest). But here's what I know.

If you set a BURST type weapon to 2 or more shots, it first fires each projectile individually, then fires a cluster of projectiles. So if you declare that there are three large projectiles and two small ones, a 2-shot flak gun would fire:
[a small projectile, another small projectile, a large projectile, another large projectile, one more large projectile], for shot 1
and finally a cluster of 2 small and 3 large projectiles, for shot 2.

I imagine charging would work the same way. Charge to one shot, and it fires a cluster. Charge to two or more shots, and it fires in bursts and then a cluster.

EDIT: Tested, and it does work that way. Charge to 2 shots, and it fires 1 burst and 1 cluster. Charge to 3 shots, and it fires 2 bursts then a cluster; etc. What's notable is that with the cluster, it doesn't fire it as a clump, but fires it as one solid line. It's kind of weird.

You should almost definitely not make a Charge Flak weapon.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:58 am

what exactly is happening with that "flak line" :shock:
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:09 am

Projectile speed was set to 1 for the purposes of demonstration.

Shot #1 all comes out of mount #1. Shot #2 fires as a charge laser ordinarily would; that is, each projectile of the shotis further and further down the gun, which explains the vertical displacement. Each projectile fires one after another, which is why there's horizontal displacement. Shot #3 increases the vertical displacements. Shot #4 is a standard 'clump' fired all at once, which is why there's no horizontal displacement; interestingly enough, the vertical displacement is at its highest.

Those are all my observations.

I used the projectiles from the Flak II to test (3 bigs, 4 mediums, 6 smalls), along with additional coloration so you could see it more easily. The big projectiles were red, the medium ones green, and the small ones blue. You can see in shots 1 through 3 that the small ones are fired first, then the medium ones, then the big ones--I believe it's in reverse order of declaration in the blueprint (so if you listed smalls first under <projectiles>, they would fire last).

I guess if you make a Charge Flak gun, don't go overboard on the projectiles, or you end up with this weirdness.
redstonetorches

Postby redstonetorches » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 pm

To anyone who knows how to use Superluminal Ship Editor:

To start off modding FTL, I thought an easy start would be making a ship. So I start making a USS Enterprise (So original, I know :roll: ) So I'm almost done with the ship and I try the save feature. I save the resources (data & img) to my desktop, and then I accidentally close the editor! I wasn't too worried until I learned that Superluminal only opens .shp files and ships already in the game... Does anybody know how to fix this? (Keep in mind my ship is not finished and I probably can't upload it to FTl yet)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:09 pm

redstonetorches wrote:To anyone who knows how to use Superluminal Ship Editor:

To start off modding FTL, I thought an easy start would be making a ship. So I start making a USS Enterprise (So original, I know :roll: ) So I'm almost done with the ship and I try the save feature. I save the resources (data & img) to my desktop, and then I accidentally close the editor! I wasn't too worried until I learned that Superluminal only opens .shp files and ships already in the game... Does anybody know how to fix this? (Keep in mind my ship is not finished and I probably can't upload it to FTl yet)

Well one way is that you could put (or copy) the data and img files into a .zip. then rename the .zip to a .ftl.
Then upload / patch it into the superluminal and then when you go to load ship you will see what ever ship you replaced will have an arrow, and when you click it it drops a list of ships sharing the same blueprint.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
redstonetorches

Postby redstonetorches » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:

Well one way is that you could put (or copy) the data and img files into a .zip. then rename the .zip to a .ftl.
Then upload / patch it into the superluminal and then when you go to load ship you will see what ever ship you replaced will have an arrow, and when you click it it drops a list of ships sharing the same blueprint.

It worked, thanks!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:13 am

redstonetorches wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:

It worked, thanks!

Anytime. Glade that I could be off help.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
redstonetorches

Postby redstonetorches » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:13 am

I don't really have a question, it's more of a request. I spent a lot of time making my first mod for ftl that replaces the Kestrel A with the USS Enterprise. It also has kind of custom weapons, although I used sounds and images from the star trek universe mod. Once I finished making the last weapon, I verified it in Slipstream Mod Manager, and it said said there were problems with the xml or something but I ran it anyway and it was just vanilla. There was no Enterprise, just the Kestrel. If someone could check out the files for problems, that would be a huge help. Thanks!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/poar7tgxf4n09//USS%20Enterprise
Btw I don't think I did the link right either.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do things that I probably don't need to be doing.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:24 am

Code: Select all

<desc>The classic USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A.&#xD;
Equipped with a Phaser, a Photon Torpedo, and two Pulse Cannons.&#xD;
Hull strength is doubled.</desc>

&#xD; :?: :?: :?:

This would be my guess for why it isn't working, but I don't know. I don't really see a problem anywhere else, although I only looked at the blueprints.xml.append.

redstonetorches wrote:Btw I don't think I did the link right either.

I don't know what you did, but it looks like I can view all the files in your .ftl/.zip file, so it seems sufficient, but not the most efficient.

If you uploaded everything, then it appears you didn't copy enough information for those custom weapons. You are missing an animations.xml.append file, a sounds.xml.append file, and you are also missing images for the phaser weapons.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
redstonetorches

Postby redstonetorches » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 am

When making a custom ship, is it possible to make the engines on the image of the ship itself to turn on and off when you power on/off the engines or a crewmember enters/exits the cockpit like on the kestrel?
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do things that I probably don't need to be doing.