bamalf

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby bamalf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 am

4474 lines? Are you serious?
Image Image Image
FTL ProjCoal team

Postby FTL ProjCoal team » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 am

what's changed in the newest ftl.dat? is it anything big? what do we need to do to restore compatibility of mods?
Anon

Postby Anon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 am

I would like to change the 50% & 80% values on the autopilot capabilities of the piloting subsystem. How can I do that? It's the last piece of a little mod of mine.

In fact, I don't see any way to change any integer values in FTL besides cost and various level entries. Is changing a simple value like the above (or the damage of a weapon) really too much for FTL?
Technophage

Postby Technophage » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Hello everyone !

I just modded my first weapon yesterday and I'm quite hyped to make more, as a Game Designer.
Although I'd have several questions for either weapons or... other ideas. Here they are, and thanks to anyone finding the courage and time to answer them :

1. Which art software is best suited for FTL ? I planned to use Illustrator (cause it's easy to "draw" with it when you're not an artist) then convert the vectorial into pixellated png.
  2. Is it possible to apply Mind control effects to a weapon ?
  3. Is it possible to apply Hacking effects to a weapon ?
  4. Is it possible to multi-fire a beam ? (As in firing 2 or more lasers in a pattern)
  5. Is it possible to quick fire a beam ? (as in Charge weaponry)
  6. Is it possible to modify teleporters to target your own ship using the Teleporter System?
  7. Is it possible to teleport enemies to your ship using the Teleporter System ?
  8. Is it possible to have weapons other than beams with 100% accuracy or weapons that ignore a set percentage of enemy avoid ratio ?
  9. Is it possible to have chain buffs other than damage and cooldown ? (Such as projectile speed, shield piercing, Effect chances, etc...)
  10. Is it possible to combine chain and charge functionnalities on the same weapon ?
  11. Is it possible to make a subsystem (Same slot as the battery) that gives XP each jumps similar to the clonebay heal ?

Anyway, thanks for your time again, i have a plethora of ideas, now all i need is the time, will and knowledge to make it happen !
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Technophage wrote:Hello everyone !

I just modded my first weapon yesterday and I'm quite hyped to make more, as a Game Designer.
Although I'd have several questions for either weapons or... other ideas. Here they are, and thanks to anyone finding the courage and time to answer them :

1. Which art software is best suited for FTL ? I planned to use Illustrator (cause it's easy to "draw" with it when you're not an artist) then convert the vectorial into pixellated png.
  2. Is it possible to apply Mind control effects to a weapon ?
  3. Is it possible to apply Hacking effects to a weapon ?
  4. Is it possible to multi-fire a beam ? (As in firing 2 or more lasers in a pattern)
  5. Is it possible to quick fire a beam ? (as in Charge weaponry)
  6. Is it possible to modify teleporters to target your own ship using the Teleporter System?
  7. Is it possible to teleport enemies to your ship using the Teleporter System ?
  8. Is it possible to have weapons other than beams with 100% accuracy or weapons that ignore a set percentage of enemy avoid ratio ?
  9. Is it possible to have chain buffs other than damage and cooldown ? (Such as projectile speed, shield piercing, Effect chances, etc...)
  10. Is it possible to combine chain and charge functionnalities on the same weapon ?
  11. Is it possible to make a subsystem (Same slot as the battery) that gives XP each jumps similar to the clonebay heal ?

Anyway, thanks for your time again, i have a plethora of ideas, now all i need is the time, will and knowledge to make it happen !

1. Most modders use GIMP or Paint.net as its free and easy to do pixel art on. Although any art software would be suitable.
  2. No
  3. No
  4. No
  5. You can’t apply charge effects to a beam, you can however apply chain effects (faster/stronger each fire)
  6. No
  7. That’s already possible in vanilla game if the enemy is mind controlled. Its not possible to do this if not mind controlled.
  8. No, although you could use events to disable enemy engines.
  9. Maybe? I’ve never tried it myself.
  10. I think so? I think I’ve seen it elsewhere.
  11. Making custom systems or subsystems are not possible, so no.

Hope these answer your questions
Technophage

Postby Technophage » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks Jumbocarrot0, it does answer my questions although that impressive amount of NOs are a bit of a bummer. I imagine these aren't possible with the XML modifications of modding, but isn't there a way to find and possibly modify hard coded stuff for the game ? A lot of not mod friendly games get modded anyway, so I'm guessing FTL could be forced into shapes as desired with the requiered knowledge. Any idea on the subject anyone ?

I also have another question. Is it possible to combine two types of weaponry with their associated bonuses ? For example the BOMB typ and the BURST type allowing to launch multiple bombs in an AeO pattern ?
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 am

Technophage wrote:Thanks Jumbocarrot0, it does answer my questions although that impressive amount of NOs are a bit of a bummer. I imagine these aren't possible with the XML modifications of modding, but isn't there a way to find and possibly modify hard coded stuff for the game ? A lot of not mod friendly games get modded anyway, so I'm guessing FTL could be forced into shapes as desired with the requiered knowledge. Any idea on the subject anyone ?

I also have another question. Is it possible to combine two types of weaponry with their associated bonuses ? For example the BOMB typ and the BURST type allowing to launch multiple bombs in an AeO pattern ?

There are people working on rewriting the executable. Although they have to rewrite it EVERY time FTL updates, so they’re set back quite a bit.
And no, each weapon can only have 1 type assosiated with it. Sometimes weapons can be mimicked to look like combining two types, such as swarm missiles which is actually a BURST type with a missile texture. The example you specifically suggested cannot be done however without some really quirky stuff.
Dalas120

Postby Dalas120 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:42 pm

Anon wrote:I would like to change the 50% & 80% values on the autopilot capabilities of the piloting subsystem. How can I do that? It's the last piece of a little mod of mine.

I'd love to do this too. Does anybody know if it's possible?
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Thu May 02, 2019 2:41 am

I'm trying to add new choices to a mod's existing event, from within my own mod.

The event is the single, unnamed event in CE_PRODUCTION, as shown below:

Code: Select all

<eventList name="CE_PRODUCTION">
   <event>
      <text>You consider your options.</text>
      <choice req="AE_PRODUCTION" hidden="true">
         <text>(On-Board Assembly Line) Spend time manufacturing trade goods.</text>
         <event load="CE_ONBOARD_PRODUCTION"/>
      </choice>
      <choice req="AE_AMMO_MANUFACTURER" hidden="true">
         <text>(Ammo Manufacturer) Assemble some missiles while you wait for the FTL to charge. [ Scrap: -20 ]</text>
         <event load="CE_AMMO_PRODUCTION"/>
      </choice>
      <choice req="AE_DRONE_MANUFACTURER" hidden="true">
         <text>(Drone Manufacturer) Assemble some drone parts while you wait for the FTL to charge. [ Scrap: -15 ]</text>
         <event load="CE_DRONE_PRODUCTION"/>
      </choice>
      <choice req="AE_FUEL_RECYCLE" hidden="true">
         <text>(FTL Fuel Recycler) Recycle some FTL fuel cells.</text>
         <event>
            <text load="CE_FUEL_RECYCLE_TEXT"/>
            <item_modify>
               <item type="fuel" min="2" max="4"/>
            </item_modify>
         </event>
      </choice>
      <choice req="AE_HOLOGRAM_GENERATOR" hidden="true">
         <text>(AI Avatar Generator) Bring a sentient holographic crew member into existence. [ Scrap: -15 ]</text>
         <event load="CE_HOLOGRAM_BIRTH_LIST"/>
      </choice>
      <choice req="AE_CLONE_LAB" hidden="true">
         <text>(On-Board Clone Lab) Clone one of your carbon based crew members.</text>
         <event load="CE_CLONING"/>
      </choice>
      <choice>   
         <text>Change your mind and move on.</text>
         <event/>
      </choice>
   </event>
</eventList>

I want to add a new <choice> section to it.
I'm trying to use the special <mod:*> tags in Slipstream but I'm not sure if I understand the syntax.

Can someone help?
Woona

Postby Woona » Thu May 02, 2019 4:08 am

Kiloku wrote:I'm trying to add new choices to a mod's existing event, from within my own mod.

Can someone help?

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="eventList" name="CE_PRODUCTION">
   <mod:findLike type="event">
      <mod-append:choice>
      </mod-append:choice>
   </mod:findLike>
</mod:findName>

Something like that probably.