Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:55 pm

You really need to work on your indentation skills, this was very difficult to read, no wonder you made some mistakes...

Cleaned up:

Code: Select all

<event name="LANIUS_DESERTERS" unique="false">
   <ship load="ANAEROBIC_DESTROYER_DESERTER" hostile="false"/>
   <text>You arrive within a quiet area of space, but sensors soon detect a rare sight: a Lanius destroyer! Fortunately, it is not accompanied by any other ships and appears to be unaware of your presence. Barely translated chatter indicates that members of the crew are upset about something, but you cannot understand what precisely.</text>
   <choice>
      <text>Contact the ship</text>
      <event load="HEATED_DISCUSSION_1"/>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>Leave</text>
      <event>
         <text>The last thing you want is a misunderstanding to set the warship upon you. However, as you pilot away, the destroyer suddenly self-destructs. The explosion scatters debris far and wide. As you sweep in to collect what scrap you can find, you cannot help but wonder what led the Lanius to commit to their fate.</text>
         <autoReward level="LOW">standard</autoReward>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>Attack the ship</text>
      <event>
         <text>You move in, weapons charging, and this gets the attention of the destroyer. Within moments, you are hailed by its captain who, in a panic, nearly shouts in translated hysterics "Stop! We mean no harm! Cease, please!"</text>
         <choice>
            <text>Continue...</text>
            <event load="HEATED_DISCUSSION_2"/>
         </choice>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>

<event name="HEATED_DISCUSSION_1" unique="false">
   <text>The Lanius ship's captain responds to your hails promptly. Even to your untrained eye regarding Lanius expression, you can see a deep worry resonating in her. She gives a basic explanation in your language "I give a warning: Leave. There is much unrest...anything could happen." You notice Lanius crewmen wielding firearms and screeching at one another in the background. Tensions appear to be high amongst the crew.</text>
   <choice>
      <text>Do as she says and leave.</text>
      <event>
         <text>You decide to respect the captain's warning and close the channel. However, as you pilot the ship away, the destroyer suddenly self-destructs and the explosion scatters debris far and wide. Your crew is stunned by the turn of events. You order a sweep of the area for any scrap that can be found, but cannot help but wonder why the Lanius committed to their fate.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>Get involved. Find out what's happening.</text>
      <event load="GUILT"/>
   </choice>
</event>

<event name="HEATED_DISCUSSION_2" unique="false">
   <text>You notice Lanius crewmen wielding firearms and screeching at one another in the background. Tensions appear to be high amongst the crew.</text>
   <choice>
      <text>Attack the ship anyway</text>
      <event load="UNFORTUNATE"/>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>Get involved. Find out what's happening.</text>
      <event load="GUILT"/>
   </choice>
</event>

<event name="UNFORTUNATE" unique="false">
   <text>Despite repeated pleas, you contiune on an attack vector. Before the channel is cut however, you witness the Lanius captain murdered in cold blood by a subordinate who screeches a barely comprehensible "All a mistake! Weakling...worthless!" before signing off to presumably take command and engage you in combat. Prepare yourself.</text>
   <ship load="ANAEROBIC_DESTROYER_DESERTER" hostile="true"/>
</event>

<event name="GUILT" unqiue="false">
   <text>You insist on resolving the issue at hand, but the captain is hesistant. She appears to be unsure of your motivations, but opens up eventually "Ship was in fleet action against human colony. Inhabitants were killed, around many thousands, for sake of harvest. There are...disagreements." You easily concur that the crew is divided on this act of genocide.</text>
   <choice>
      <text>Continue...</text>
      <event>
         <text>While focused, you are surprised as the captain is pulled aside by two crewmen as a higher-ranking subordinate takes the helm. He directly states in your language "Human ship...here for revenge. I knew it." His gesturing is twitchy, appearing on the verge of drastic action. He continues "No end to this. We must go back. We cannot remedy peace."</text>
         <choice>
            <text>Continue...</text>
            <event load="PEACE"/>
         </choice>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>

<event name="PEACE" unique="false">
   <text>The Lanius subordinate engages the destroyer's battle systems, but, before fire can be exchanged, another crewman bursts onto the bridge screeching in an untranslatable dialect. The subordinate and his allies are frozen in shock. On demand, an update from your helmsman reveals a power overflow in progress within the destroyer's reactor: the ship will be destroyed within moments if nothing is done.</text>
   <choice hidden="true" req="anaerobic">
      <text>Let your Lanius crewman talk to them</text>
      <event>
         <text>Your Lanius crewman steps in to reason with the destroyer's crew. It states, with much romanticism, that peace can be forged between their species and the Federation, and that the crew can be forgiven in due time. Seeing your crewman as proof of these statements, tensions cool quickly as the captain gives an order to the new arrival to prevent disaster. A minute later, your helmsman reports that the destroyer's reactor is stabilizing.</text>
         <text>After a moment of reconcilation, the captain chimes in to thank you. Informing her of your mission, she nods and states "I will relieve two of my own to join you." Once goodbyes have been exchanged, two Lanius crewmen beam in with gifted materials and you welcome them aboard.</text>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="anaerobic">Adell</crewMember>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="anaerobic">Lelouch</crewMember>
         <autoReward level="HIGH">standard</autoReward>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="energy">
      <text>Let your Zoltan crewman talk to them</text>
      <event>
         <text>Your Zoltan crewman gets straight to work in negotiations. It explains one of the ancient proverbs of Zoltan law: justice can absolve. While their actions were wrong, a righteous intent can allow them to redeem themselves and pave a good example of their species to other members of the Federation. The alternatives of battle or suicide would solve nothing; it would only complicate current relations.</text>
         <text>Presented with this logic, the Lanius crew stand down. The captain, now released, gives an order to the new arrival to prevent disaster. A minute later, your helmsman reports that the destroyer's reactor is stabilizing.</text>
         <text>After a moment of reconcilation, the captain chimes in to thank you. Informing her of your mission, she nods and states "I will relieve two of my own to join you." Once goodbyes have been exchanged, two Lanius crewmen beam in with gifted materials and you welcome them aboard.</text>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="anaerobic">Adell</crewMember>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="anaerobic">Lelouch</crewMember>
         <autoReward level="HIGH">standard</autoReward>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="teleporter" lvl="1">
      <text>(Teleporter) Rescue the captain</text>
      <event>
         <text>You send a boarding party of one to quickly incapcitate the mutinous Lanius crew and return with the captain. While successful in the former with the use of flashbangs, the teleporter takes a few seconds too long to recharge and you can only watch in horror as the ship explodes with your crewman on board. The explosion scatters debris far and wide. Weakly, you give the order to sweep the area for any salvagable scrap, while your crew mourns the loss of their comrade.</text>
         <crewMember amount="-1"/>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="teleporter" lvl="2">
      <text>(Improved Teleporter) Rescue the captain</text>
      <event>
         <text>You send a boarding party of one to quickly incapcitate the mutinous Lanius crew and return with the captain. Using flashbangs, the operation is a success and, with only seconds to spare, your crewman and the captain beam back onto your ship before the destroyer explodes.</text>
         <text>While your ship sweeps the area for any spare scrap, the Lanius captain mournfully asks herself "Why?" After a moment of silence, she offers to join your crew, seeing it as her only option now.</text>
         <crewMember amount="1" class="anaerobic">Yin</crewMember>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="hacking" lvl="2">
      <text>(Improved Hacking) Reverse the power overflow</text>
      <event>
         <text>A hacking module is deployed whereupon it attaches itself to the destroyer's central hull. The system succesfully overrides the security protocols dictating the power overflow and prevents the ship's destruction.</text>
         <text>Realizing that his captain no longer has leverage to threaten him with, the subordinate re-engages the battle systems. You are sure he is ready to give the order for her execution. You have seconds to act.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>Damn...</text>
      <event>
         <text>With no other options, you are unable to save the captain as she is executed with a headshot right before your eyes. The channel is then cut and the destroyer bears down upon you. Get ready.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="mind" lvl="1">
      <text>(Mind Control) Brainwash him to stand down</text>
      <event>
         <text>Under new suggestions, the subordinate once again disengages the battle systems and orders the release of the captain. However, the effect soon wears off and, gaining his bearings, angrily kills the captain himself. His allies move off to engage the rest of the crew. The channel is cut and the destroyer soon roars to life, weapons hot. Prepare yourself.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="mind" lvl="2">
      <text>(Improved Mind Control) Brainwash him to stand down</text>
      <event>
         <text>Under powerful new suggestions, the subordinate once again disengages the battle systems and orders the release of the captain. The effect lasts long enough for a quick transfer of the captain out of an airlock in the general direction of your ship before he gains his bearings. Angrily, he cuts the channel and the destroyer soon roars to life, weapons hot. Prepare yourself.</text>
      </choice>
   </event>

<choice hidden="true" req="engi">
      <text>Allow your Engi to remotely access their systems</text>
      <event>
         <text>Your Engi crewman is able to hack into and override the security protocols dictating the power overflow, preventing the ship's destruction. Additionally, it also sabotages their reactor and locks out the controls to prevent its reversal.</text>
         <text>Realizing that his captain no longer has leverage to threaten him with, the subordinate re-engages the battle systems. You are sure he is ready to give the order for her execution. You have seconds to act.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="mind" lvl="1">
      <text>(Mind Control) Brainwash him to stand down</text>
      <event>
         <text>Under new suggestions, the subordinate once again disengages the battle systems and orders the release of the captain. However, the effect soon wears off and, gaining his bearings, angrily kills the captain himself. His allies move off to engage the rest of the crew. The channel is cut and the destroyer soon roars to life, weapons hot. Prepare yourself.</text>
         <text>The Engi's sabotage has drastically reduced the destroyer's power output. This should give you a tactical advantage.</text>
         <ship load="ANAEROBIC_DESTROYER_DESERTER_WEAK" hostile="true"/>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="mind" lvl="2">
      <text>(Improved Mind Control) Brainwash him to stand down</text>
      <event>
         <text>Under powerful new suggestions, the subordinate once again disengages the battle systems and orders the release of the captain. The effect lasts long enough for a quick transfer of the captain out of an airlock in the general direction of your ship before he gains his bearings. Angrily, he cuts the channel and the destroyer soon roars to life, weapons hot. Prepare yourself.</text>
         <text>The Engi's sabotage has drastically reduced the destroyer's power output. This should give you a tactical advantage.</text>
         <ship load="ANAEROBIC_DESTROYER_DESERTER_WEAK" hostile="true"/>
      </event>
   </choice>

<choice>
      <text>Offer leniency</text>
      <event load="LENIENCY"/>
   </choice>

<choice>
      <text>Leave them for dead</text>
   </choice>
   <event>
      <text>You order the helmsman to punch it and get out of range before the ship explodes. Unable or unwilling to give chase, the Lanius crew visibly resign themselves to their fate, with the subordinate pitifully asking "Why?" The channel is abruptly cut as the ship explodes, sending debris flying far and wide. You order a sweep of the area to gather any usable scrap, content that you minimized risk to your ship and crew.</text>
   </event>

</event>

<eventList name="LENIENCY">
   <event>
      <text>You offer to save the crew, regardless of their actions. The subordinate decides to believe in you and, en masse, the destroyer's crew leaps from an airlock in the direction of your ship. You are able to secure them in the nick of time as their ship explodes. They agree to be dropped off at a station, with the exception of the captain, who offers to join your crew. "I will forge peace this way."</text>
   </event>

</event>

<event>
   <text>You offer to save the crew, regardless of their actions. The subordinate decides to believe in you and, en masse, the destroyer's crew leaps from an airlock in the direction of your ship. You are able to secure them in the nick of time as their ship explodes. They agree to be dropped off at a station, with the exception of the subordinate, who offers to join your crew. "I have much to absolve."</text>
   <crewMember amount="1" class="anaerobic">Cage</crewMember>
</event>
<event>
   <text>You offer to save the crew, regardless of their actions. However, the subordinate denies you, unwilling to trust humans "out for blood." He cuts the channel and you watch in solemn silence as the ship explodes with all hands. You order a sweep of the area for spare scrap and prepare to move on, having done what you could.</text>
</event>
<event>
   <text>You offer to save the crew, regardless of their actions. However, before a response can be made, the ship suffers an unexpected, violent acceleration of its power overflow. The resulting explosion completely vaporizes the ship, hurdling molten debris in all directions. Your ship takes a hit from a piece of slag. Unfortunately, there is no usable scrap to be found, leaving you to charge the FTL drive with nothing gained.</text>
</event>
<event>
   <text>You offer to save the crew, regardless of their actions. Before the subordinate can respond, he is shot dead by the new arrival who, in a state of blind hysteria, continues firing. The channel is cut by a stray shot to their helm, leaving you with no choice but to pull back. The ship explodes with all hands, and you simply order retrival of any scrap.</text>
</event>

</eventList> <!-- dangling closing tag -->

Anyway, what I noticed:
There's a </event> tag in the middle of the LENIENCY event list, closing its tag prematurely, and leaving some events outside of its body. As a consequence, there is a closing tag which has no opening counterpart, which may or may not wreck shit up, depending on how FTL's parser handles such errors (probably ignores them).
Also, in some events you have multiple <text> tags, which IIRC is not allowed. In some <choice> tags, you have additional tags after the <event/> tag, which signifies the end of that choice branch (meaning, the tags that come after it have no effect, IIRC).

I have no extensive experience working with events, maybe someone else can chime in and cover the rest.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:11 pm

I have two questions:

A) I made a beam with -10 person damage, and yet when I board an enemy ship, and hit my crew with it, it does not restore health. How do I make it affect my crew?

B) While I'm have grown quite a lot in weapon modding, events are still uncharted territory for me. Can you make an event that checks for X weapon, remove it, and give you Y weapon in it's place? Like the engi virus event?
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:42 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:I have two questions:

A) I made a beam with -10 person damage, and yet when I board an enemy ship, and hit my crew with it, it does not restore health. How do I make it affect my crew?

B) While I'm have grown quite a lot in weapon modding, events are still uncharted territory for me. Can you make an event that checks for X weapon, remove it, and give you Y weapon in it's place? Like the engi virus event?

A) Tried it myself as well. As far as I can tell, beams are incapable of healing crew, only hurting. Which is fairly odd seeing how all other weapon types are capable of it...

B) No, whilst an event can check if you have a weapon, there is no way to remove equipment in the game other then selling it or not having room for it. Only consumables can be removed which funny enough includes crew.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
FederationScumX1999

Postby FederationScumX1999 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:37 pm

kartoFlane wrote:You really need to work on your indentation skills, this was very difficult to read, no wonder you made some mistakes...

Not entirely sure what ya mean. The indentations got a bit messed up when copying and pasting, where new tags appear to be directly underneath previous ones (which wouldn't work as far as I know). I also didn't wanna bunch the events up into one event because the indentation would get a bit out of hand, especially since it appears having multiple text events invalidates tags that come after it.

kartoFlane wrote:Anyway, what I noticed:
There's a </event> tag in the middle of the LENIENCY event list, closing its tag prematurely, and leaving some events outside of its body. As a consequence, there is a closing tag which has no opening counterpart, which may or may not wreck shit up, depending on how FTL's parser handles such errors (probably ignores them).
Also, in some events you have multiple <text> tags, which IIRC is not allowed. In some <choice> tags, you have additional tags after the <event/> tag, which signifies the end of that choice branch (meaning, the tags that come after it have no effect, IIRC).

The multiple text tags is an interesting observation as it would make sense. I'll have to rearrange the extra text boxes under new events probably, or trim them down so that the text fits in one paragraph. Worth a shot to see if PEACE will trigger then. Also, I'll be taking a look at the LENIENCY list to fix that as well. Thanks.
The future hinges on each of a thousand choices. Living is making choices! - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
FederationScumX1999

Postby FederationScumX1999 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:58 pm

So, I've since managed to get the event work properly and added much more to it. However, does anyone know how to make it appear properly in-game? I tried creating an .append file where I added it to the list under NEUTRAL_LANIUS events and additionally to events that take place in a Lanius Sector (with a minimum and maximum chance of encountering only one instance of it per Lanius Sector). In the first change I did, it caused the game to soft-lock upon traveling to an Abandoned Sector. When I added the second change with a different .append, the game now refused to start a game at all.

How does one make an event appear properly in-game?
The future hinges on each of a thousand choices. Living is making choices! - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:22 pm

FederationScumX1999 wrote:How does one make an event appear properly in-game?

I don't know everything about what you've done, but I'll try and start with something simple.

I added it to the list under NEUTRAL_LANIUS

For this, I would use this code in dlcEvents_anaerobic.xml.append:

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="eventList" name="NEUTRAL_LANIUS">
   <mod-append:event load="LANIUS_DESERTERS"/>
</mod:findName>

That should be sufficient to get it to appear in the Abandoned Sector.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:28 pm

How do you make gifs of your weapons?

EDIT: NVM, I figured it out.
Last edited by WhiteWeasel on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Future Pilot

Postby A Future Pilot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm currently working on my first mod, and have a couple questions:

1. Where is FINISH_BEACON called from? I'm currently using the crystal sector as a pre-start sector, and I need to modify its exit beacon.

That leads me into 2...

2. Is there anyway to make the player jump from the crystal sector into sector 1? I don't like the idea of my mod being one sector shorter than the base game (if there's not, is there any way to have the crystal sector operate in my custom way the first time through, and then like a normal sector the second time through?)

And finally...

3. What's the recommended way to edit the text of LAST_STAND_START with keeping maximum mod compatibility? (My goal is for this mod to work with CE and the polish kit...I'd really like to figure out a way to make it work with infinite mods too...but I guess that depends on whether or not there's a way to make my own sector separately...). So far, the only real way I can see to edit it is to clobber it completely, and I feel like there's gotta be a better way than that.

Also...instead of using the crystal sector, is there any way to make my own sector and then jump to it via an event? I figure that would probably have to happen to have compatibility with infinite mods, right?

Thanks!
My Mods:
Defector Mod
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 pm

1. Where is FINISH_BEACON called from? I'm currently using the crystal sector as a pre-start sector, and I need to modify its exit beacon.

That leads me into 2...

2. Is there anyway to make the player jump from the crystal sector into sector 1? I don't like the idea of my mod being one sector shorter than the base game (if there's not, is there any way to have the crystal sector operate in my custom way the first time through, and then like a normal sector the second time through?)

I don't think it's possible to make a pre-start sector. You always start in Sector 1 and it's a Civilian Sector.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:21 am

@Future Pilot: As far as i know:

1. FINISH_BEACON is called from any and every exit beacon event. If i recall correctly it's an eventList that contains some generic events. I haven't found a way to set up a specific event for the exit beacon of a sector.

2. I doubt it. The only way to jump to a sector with events is by using the <secretSector/> element. It jumps you to a sector called "CRYSTAL_HOME". It doesn't count as an additional sector, instead its exit advances you to the next one.
Basically: if you're in sector 1 and jump to the crystal sector, when you reach its exit you'll be transported to any of the available sector 2's.

The first sector in a game will be the one defined in the STANDARD_SPACE sectorDescription tag found in sector_data.xml.
This sector is also used whenever the game tries to load a missing or faulty sector. You can modify the first sector by STANDARD_SPACE to your liking, but the name of the first sector of a game will always be "Civilian sector". It seems to be hardcoded.

3. I dunno. ¯\_( ·_· )_/¯

maybe... just maybe... you could define a sector 2, though.

I mean, if you do this:
- rename the original FINISH_BEACON eventList to else, let's say OLD_FINISH
- make a new empty eventList called FINISH_BEACON
- put this child element in it: <event load="OLD_FINISH"/>
- now make the exit event that you want and give it a name, let's say "HOLY_BALLS"
- put this attribute in your event: unique="true"
- put like 20 of these child elements in the FINISH_BEACON list: <event load="HOLY_BALLS"/>

What should happen is that the game draws HOLY_BALLS first, then it doesn't draw it anymore because it's unique! Since all the options but one lead to HOLY_BALLS, the game will only be able to draw from that one, and in this case it's the old eventlist. This cannot not work!!! :lol:

I've once tried to do this same thing even with one HOLY_BALLS and one OLD_FINISH, and the game seemed to always draw the unique option first..! (translation: i'm a stupid primate that can't understand chaos theory. OOHK OOK OOOHHK!!)

But yeah, the point is: if HOLY_BALLS sends you to CRYSTAL_HOME, and you set up STANDARD_SPACE, you can basically define what sector 1 and 2 will be! ...prob'ly!

This will remove the crystal sector though, so you should probably remove some vanilla events or something. >_>
ImageImageImageImageImage