Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
TaxiService

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby TaxiService » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:26 am

earlyraven wrote:though preferably, I'd put all events except the START_BEACON event from the event.xml.append file into my own CUSTOM_FLEET_DELAY_MOD_events.xml file, and just call upon that file's events.

Wait, why? I think you could just put all the custom events in the "main" events.xml.append file. I'm saying this because I've never heard of custom-named files being able to be appended. :|
There should be no problem if you just put all your events in one file that already exists. You'd still have to make an .append file for each race's events to add the call for your own events, but i'm pretty sure you can put them in any other file.
events.xml.append is possibly the best one!

In case you don't know, I made a "mod" that helps people test things like these. You can get to its thread by clicking on the fed bomber in my signature. Feel free to "steal" some code and adapt it for your purposes if you think it can help you!
I mean, i'm pretty sure you'll find something useful in it! I suggest you to get the v2 beta version (the one with the blue-ish links), for its code is the most optimised. >_>

PS: welcome to the forum lol
ImageImageImageImageImage
earlyraven

Postby earlyraven » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:56 am

Thank for the prompt reply.

RESOLVED... the culprit was a missing <choice> start tag.

PS. I tried your MTE 1.2 CCP.zip but other than giving me free upgrades and crew I'm not sure how it helps. I guess I just don't know how to use it.
What would really help my testing is a quick way to open the sector choice window to jump to a new sector (tried calling EXIT_LIST but that didn't help... just gave an event that can happen at exit).

Thanks for the welcome :)
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:27 pm

What would really help my testing is a quick way to open the sector choice window to jump to a new sector (tried calling EXIT_LIST but that didn't help... just gave an event that can happen at exit)

Good thinking! But... hmmmm. I am not so sure if that can even be done! 0_0 I mean... as far as i know, the [jumping-to-a-new-sector] is a hardcoded thing that can only happen at the exit beacon, the one that is chosen by the game.

There is a way to make you go to the crystal sector from anywhere, just by appending a <secretSector/> tag to an event like you would with a <store/>, but i don't think the sector actually advances from, say, 1 to 2 or 5 to 6. Check the code of mods like infinite space or captain edition infinite. They use shenanigans to make it look like you're progressing with sectors, but you're actually repeating the same sector over and over again. (at least, that's what infinite space did when i last checked; and i suppose CE:I does the same XD)

Somebody like Sleeper Service certainly knows more about this than me. :V I'm sure he'll respond if there's anything else to add!

I'm not sure how it helps. I guess I just don't know how to use it.

That MTE thing is basically a sector where people can test their own stuff. It's mostly meant for shipmakers, for it allows you to spawn enemy ships, boarders or hazards. It also lets you do more stuff like quickly blowing your ship up (to test how gibs look) and even load your own custom events! I'm continuously working in the shadows to add more useful stuff to it, hoping to release an optimised version someday.

I want to add another cool functionality as well. Maybe as a patch to add to the main dot ftl file.

I thought: "what if somebody wants to test how a sector's events spawn? Is there a way to make normal events appear alongside the testing event that I made?"
and then "what if the starting event made the player choose how many testing-events to spawn in the sector by using quests?"
...so yeah im Soon™ gonna add this thing too (if it's actually possible). >_>
But yeah, the thing is meant to help people test their stuff. :V I should probably make a video tutorial on how to use it..? And also update that shitty thread. >_<
ImageImageImageImageImage
earlyraven

Postby earlyraven » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:09 pm

TaxiService wrote:
What would really help my testing is a quick way to open the sector choice window to jump to a new sector (tried calling EXIT_LIST but that didn't help... just gave an event that can happen at exit)

Good thinking! But... hmmmm. I am not so sure if that can even be done! 0_0 I mean... as far as i know, the [jumping-to-a-new-sector] is a hardcoded thing that can only happen at the exit beacon, the one that is chosen by the game.

There is a way to make you go to the crystal sector from anywhere, just by appending a <secretSector/> tag to an event like you would with a <store/>, but i don't think the sector actually advances from, say, 1 to 2 or 5 to 6. Check the code of mods like infinite space or captain edition infinite. They use shenanigans to make it look like you're progressing with sectors, but you're actually repeating the same sector over and over again. (at least, that's what infinite space did when i last checked; and i suppose CE:I does the same XD)

Hm... well it's not exactly what I wanted, but while working on my Super Store mod (a mod that lets you buy any weapon, augment, crew, etc), I came across drone weapons (particularly drone missles)... they have 0 power req. and no cooldown and don't use missles... so I can give myself one and just mow down the enemies till I get to the sector exit. Though by the time I had discovered this I had already confirmed my mod worked in all sectors.

BTW, I finished and published my first FTL mod: Custom Repeated Fleet Delay... it's at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27618 (so, Sleeper Service if you would add it to your mod-list I'd appreciate it.)
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 pm

So, question from a novice modder here:

How exactly do I take a change/addition that I've made and make it into a mod without having to re-release the entire data/resource.dats that I've made changes to?

Apologies if it could be worded better, but I'm an idiot, you see.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Take the code from say blueprints.xml and call it blueprints.xml.append

Mod management programs like Slipstream will know what to do. Hopefully.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 pm

So let's say your change is in blueprints.xml. Put whatever your change is -- JUST your change, not all of blueprints.xml's code--into a file called blueprints.xml.append. The file should still be in XML format, but with an extra APPEND suffix at the end of the file name. Once that's done, you make a directory called data, and put blueprints.xml.append into the data directory.

Zip up the data folder (in other words, make it a zip archive), and change the extension from .zip to .ftl. Then just put it in SMM's "mods" folder and you're good to go.
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:54 am

NarnKar wrote:So let's say your change is in blueprints.xml. Put whatever your change is -- JUST your change, not all of blueprints.xml's code--into a file called blueprints.xml.append. The file should still be in XML format, but with an extra APPEND suffix at the end of the file name. Once that's done, you make a directory called data, and put blueprints.xml.append into the data directory.

Zip up the data folder (in other words, make it a zip archive), and change the extension from .zip to .ftl. Then just put it in SMM's "mods" folder and you're good to go.
stylesrj wrote:Take the code from say blueprints.xml and call it blueprints.xml.append

Mod management programs like Slipstream will know what to do. Hopefully.

Thanks for the help.

So if I've made changes to both the resources and the data folder, what would I do then? I'm assuming I'd have to do the same thing with the directory for resources? Can I take both and make them into a single .ftl file or would I need them both be separate?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:53 am

Resources can be put into am .ftl file. Look at how other mods do it for examples. I recommend Captain's Edition
95% Chance

Postby 95% Chance » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:03 am

stylesrj wrote:Resources can be put into am .ftl file. Look at how other mods do it for examples. I recommend Captain's Edition

I know they can, I'm just wondering if I can use stuff from resources and .xml.append files in the same .ftl file, because one depends on the other for what I'm doing.

EDIT:: Figured out what the hell to do, thanks CE