Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
User avatar
Noobjuice
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:23 am
Location: Engi Hive 01000001 01110101 01110011 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101100 01101001 01100001

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby Noobjuice » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:30 pm

Hey guys, so here's my question. I'm trying to change the song that plays at the end credits, in a similar way Sleeper did with an earlier version of CE (I think it was around Version 1.241).

I assumed that if I replace [audio\waves\ui\bp_MUS_Victory.ogg] with my chosen song it would play as normal, and the main menu theme would queue behind it and start playing after it finished. I've just discovered that doesn't work though, the main menu music just starts playing like normal 15 seconds in, behind the track that's already playing.

Does anyone know how Sleeper got around this problem? I've tried looking through the old CE mod files to figure out how he did it, but so far I've turned up squat. :P
Image
Image
User avatar
NarnKar
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: this forum
Contact:

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby NarnKar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:01 am

Sleeper Service never actually did get the song to play over it. See, Victory SFX is actually just a short jingle that plays OVER the main screen music, which conveniently has a few moments of silence so you don't notice the transition. I remember in earlier builds of CE, the victory jingle used to be an entire song (Triumphant March of the Nano-Warrior); once that italian satire-metal-fest was over, the normal title screen music would fade in, mid-way through its playing. If you listened real carefully while Triumphant March was playing, you could hear some bars of Space Cruise playing very faintly.
User avatar
Noobjuice
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:23 am
Location: Engi Hive 01000001 01110101 01110011 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101100 01101001 01100001

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby Noobjuice » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:05 am

Righto, guess I'll have to figure out another way around the problem. Thanks for the quick reply, btw. :)
Image
Image
WhiteWeasel
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 am

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby WhiteWeasel » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Hey, I have a question. When I use a mod I made for FTL, and then fire up a game without SMM, I still get the mod taking effect. Is that normal?


Also my weapons mod that I was testing fine yesterday won't work. Namely the custom missile launchers don't show up in the kestrels loadout correctly. It's the issue you get if you don't spell your weapon tags correctly. But I assure you they are spelled the same and it still does not work. EDIT: Resolved, I placed the </mod:findName> in the wrong spot
Image
redstonetorches
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 pm
Location: Probably on YouTube

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby redstonetorches » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:03 am

Hey, I have a question. When I use a mod I made for FTL, and then fire up a game without SMM, I still get the mod taking effect. Is that normal?



You actually don't have to launch FTL from SMM to play with your mods, as long as you've patched them. You can patch, decline its offer to run the game, close SMM, and then go launch it from your desktop or dock or taskbar or something. But to play vanilla again, you must load up SMM again and click patch with nothing checked. What you're doing is pretty much patching the backup of vanilla that SMM has made before you patched any mod, ever.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do things that I probably don't need to be doing.
WhiteWeasel
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 am

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:03 am

redstonetorches wrote:
Hey, I have a question. When I use a mod I made for FTL, and then fire up a game without SMM, I still get the mod taking effect. Is that normal?



You actually don't have to launch FTL from SMM to play with your mods, as long as you've patched them. You can patch, decline its offer to run the game, close SMM, and then go launch it from your desktop or dock or taskbar or something. But to play vanilla again, you must load up SMM again and click patch with nothing checked. What you're doing is pretty much patching the backup of vanilla that SMM has made before you patched any mod, ever.

Ohhhh... An I thought I coded something wrong. :lol: Also my second question. How do I add a custom projectile sprite to my weapon, and can I have an image of one of the burst laser bolts to I can use it as a base?
Image
redstonetorches
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 pm
Location: Probably on YouTube

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby redstonetorches » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:17 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:How do I add a custom projectile sprite to my weapon?


If you already know how to make a projectile animation, ignore this part:
Ok, so, for example, if you want to make a gun that shoots a nyan cat, you would take a picture of nyan cat off of the internet, scale it down to a normal projectile size (you just have to assume) in some sort of image manipulation program. If you wanted to make it so that nyan cat would run in flight, you would add multiple pictures side by side, like the frames of a gif.

Here's how to actually make your gun use that projectile:
The first step would be to add it to your animations.xml.append in your data folder. If you don't have an animations.xml.append sheet, here is what would be in one:

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="nyan_cat" w="480" h="40" fw="40" fh="40">weapons/nyan_projectile.png</animSheet>

<anim name="nyan_cat">
   <sheet>nyan_cat</sheet>
   <desc length="12" x="0" y="0"/>
   <time>0.2</time>

Next, you would go into your blueprints.xml.append where I assume you have already written the code for your weapon, and in the <image> tags you would write the name of your anim. I highly recommend you make the name of the animsheet and the anim the same.

Since I am not sure how to add an image to this :oops: you can download FTL UnPacker from somewhere in the forums and it will unpack your data.dat and resources.dat so that you can look at the game files and clarify anything that may not have made sense coming from me, and you can also go into the unpacked img folder and find the picture of a laser bolt (in the weapons subfolder) and edit that, and save it as a new one.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do things that I probably don't need to be doing.
WhiteWeasel
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 am

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:14 pm

redstonetorches wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:How do I add a custom projectile sprite to my weapon?


If you already know how to make a projectile animation, ignore this part:
Ok, so, for example, if you want to make a gun that shoots a nyan cat, you would take a picture of nyan cat off of the internet, scale it down to a normal projectile size (you just have to assume) in some sort of image manipulation program. If you wanted to make it so that nyan cat would run in flight, you would add multiple pictures side by side, like the frames of a gif.

Here's how to actually make your gun use that projectile:
The first step would be to add it to your animations.xml.append in your data folder. If you don't have an animations.xml.append sheet, here is what would be in one:

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="nyan_cat" w="480" h="40" fw="40" fh="40">weapons/nyan_projectile.png</animSheet>

<anim name="nyan_cat">
   <sheet>nyan_cat</sheet>
   <desc length="12" x="0" y="0"/>
   <time>0.2</time>

Next, you would go into your blueprints.xml.append where I assume you have already written the code for your weapon, and in the <image> tags you would write the name of your anim. I highly recommend you make the name of the animsheet and the anim the same.

Since I am not sure how to add an image to this :oops: you can download FTL UnPacker from somewhere in the forums and it will unpack your data.dat and resources.dat so that you can look at the game files and clarify anything that may not have made sense coming from me, and you can also go into the unpacked img folder and find the picture of a laser bolt (in the weapons subfolder) and edit that, and save it as a new one.


Cool. I found a picture of the laser sprite. It has four laser bolts on them. Do I just edit all four? How does the game know to separate them if they are in one image?

Also for the life of me I can't figure out how to get my beam weapon with a custom sound to play.
-removed-
Last edited by WhiteWeasel on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
redstonetorches
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 pm
Location: Probably on YouTube

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby redstonetorches » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:23 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:Do I just edit all four?


That's what I was talking about for the gif thing, as the projectile flies, it will quickly switch through the four frames so that it's not one still image, even though they fly too fast for most to notice.

WhiteWeasel wrote:Also for the life of me I can't figure out how to get my beam weapon with a custom sound to play.


I will check it out. EDIT: Your subfolders are in the wrong order. It should go audio>waves>weapons>sound goes here.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do things that I probably don't need to be doing.
WhiteWeasel
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:36 am

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:37 am

redstonetorches wrote:
That's what I was talking about for the gif thing, as the projectile flies, it will quickly switch through the four frames so that it's not one still image, even though they fly too fast for most to notice.

Doubly so since my railgun projectiles travel about twice as fast as a standard laser bolt. I kinda fudged it and made it a single image as you won't really be able to tell anyways. ;)

redstonetorches wrote:I will check it out. EDIT: Your subfolders are in the wrong order. It should go audio>waves>weapons>sound goes here.

IT LIVES!!!
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 31 guests