Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
meklozz

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby meklozz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:57 pm

TheVastComplex wrote:
meklozz wrote:Don't really understand what the issue is (didn't launch the game with it). You should probably either add the actual drone blueprint, though, or find the vanilla ion drone that isn't used and change the rarity higher for it to show up.

Btw, above you wrote superluminal not slipstream.

I took the working code from Drones+ and cut out all the stuff not relating to the ion drone. I'm using mod testing software to generate a list of 40 or so random drones, and although in Drones+ the ion drone appears on this list, it does not as a result of my mod.

Originally it sounded like you had too many drones in your own mod somehow (rather than just the ion drone). As said above, you have only included the drone's weapon, what you need is the droneBlueprint. There is one in vanilla files, but the rarity is 0, and there is probably one in the drone+ mod. Be careful, though, that mod looks like it's from before AE, so there may be stuff missing or something, though I don't think blueprints changed much, and I see you included the new override lists.
FasterThanKestrel

Postby FasterThanKestrel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:12 am

I figured it out: the data.dat file just has all the .xmls on Macs. Good thing, too - I would have given up had I not noticed the insane size of it.
TheVastComplex

Postby TheVastComplex » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:59 am

FasterThanKestrel wrote:I figured it out: the data.dat file just has all the .xmls on Macs. Good thing, too - I would have given up had I not noticed the insane size of it.

Literally what we've been saying.

macOS master race.
FasterThanKestrel

Postby FasterThanKestrel » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:02 am

Yeah, macOS users don't exactly inspire confidence in those who Know What They're Doing.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:35 am

FasterThanKestrel wrote:I figured it out: the data.dat file just has all the .xmls on Macs. Good thing, too - I would have given up had I not noticed the insane size of it.

You still need to patch in from slipstream, you'll just break the file if you outright edit it.
TheVastComplex

Postby TheVastComplex » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm

FasterThanKestrel wrote:Yeah, macOS users don't exactly inspire confidence in those who Know What They're Doing.

?

macOS is the best OS. Only ArchLinux matches it, and archlinux takes a while to set up.
Mackchee

Postby Mackchee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:52 am

Hi, I want to make a mod with enemy ships that the player can use it will be all main enemy ships. Anyway what would be a good and safe way of making and distributing this mod?
Thanks!
He's not active, but he's not inactive, he's none other than the "Largely Obscure Fludders!"
TheVastComplex

Postby TheVastComplex » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Mackchee wrote:Hi, I want to make a mod with enemy ships that the player can use it will be all main enemy ships. Anyway what would be a good and safe way of making and distributing this mod?
Thanks!

Well, if you look on this forum, you can see how people distribute their mods. As for making, I think Superluminal would be best for this, and it would make creating this mod very easy.
Zenith

Postby Zenith » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:33 am

Alrighty then.

I have no clue as to what I'm doing, I've used slipstream to get the audio, data, fonts and img folders, but have no clue what to use where to get to the xml (i think?) files where the coding actually takes place.

EDIT: I opened up the Beginning Scrap Advantage Mod in internet explorer apparently, and it told me to use the Universal Starting Beacons Mod as a better framework.

So I turned the .ftl files into .zips and they contain a data folder and a mod-appendix folder.
The mod-appendix folder seems to contain a metadata.xml file that opens text in internet explorer (or microsoft edge or whatever they want to call it now).
The data folder has two .xml.append folders

What do I use to open what?

(Sorry for all of the incredibly "noob" [haha2012termyay] questions, this is my first time trying anything like this.)

Thanks!
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Zenith wrote:So I turned the .ftl files into .zips and they contain a data folder and a mod-appendix folder.
The mod-appendix folder seems to contain a metadata.xml file that opens text in internet explorer (or microsoft edge or whatever they want to call it now).
The data folder has two .xml.append folders

What do I use to open what?

first of all, .xml and .xml.append are text type files. you can open them in notepad, but then you don't get any different colors for the various tags. you can use something like notepad++ or gedit (both of which are free software) to see the tags in different colors. here is a side-by-side comparison of notepad and notepad++: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27399&p=92485#p92485 .

.xml and .xml.append are the same thing basically. the ".append" suffix just makes you able to add and overwrite stuff without overwriting the entire file. for example, I want to add 1 weapon and change the stats of another. if I set the file as blueprints.xml I'd run into trouble because if you look in the data folder you extracted with Slipstream you'll know that blueprints.xml has lots of stuff in it like all the augments, races, weapons etc. in the vanilla game. using blueprints.xml.append on the other hand will let me add just that 1 weapon and change/overwrite that other weapon. note that in some cases you'll want to replace the entire file and not use .xml.append

if you're using notepad++, it doesn't recognize .xml.append by default, but as meklozz pointed out in some previous post, "You could just add the extension to be recognized as xml. http://superuser.com/a/40878 "

the metadata.xml file details the description of a mod in Slipstream. it's formatted for titles, version number, description, author, etc. which is displayed when you select/highlight a mod in slipstream. if you want tips for a description if I recall correctly when I looked into the sM Polish Kit's metadata.xml files they had a description for every detail and what it does as well as notes for a good description.

Zenith wrote:(Sorry for all of the incredibly "noob" [haha2012termyay] questions, this is my first time trying anything like this.)

don't worry dude. you're new to all this as we all once were (well maybe not all of us, especially the devs, and probably the people that have braced the frontier to make modding easier). questions, questions, ask away.

to be honest, there isn't much activity here usually, but I'm constantly browsing the forums nearly everyday as are the handful (well maybe, a bit more) that still browse frequently.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:edit: I hope I was informative enough. I try to be comprehensive, but sometimes I write too many details (aka, not brief/concise) or I skip ahead of myself and confusion is abound. any follow-up questions? please do ask.