Slipstream Mod Manager v1.9.1 (2018-01-07)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Vhati

Re: Slipstream Mod Manager v1.1 (2013-08-28)

Postby Vhati » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:09 pm

5thHorseman wrote:While modding, I unzip my ftl files and edit them, then have a batch file that re-zips up the ftl and then runs modman (hence wanting command line options) If I could skip the zipping step that'd be just all the more convenient.
7-Zip will let you edit text 'inside' archives (right-click or double-click).
It extracts the file to temp and spawns a text editor. After you close the editor - it checks if the temp file was modified and offers to re-add it to the archive.

If I add commandline, I could maybe include an arg to do the zipping...

5thHorseman wrote:when you resize the window it'd be cool if the program both remembered that for next time...
Another good idea.

dalolorn wrote:seeing as the mod manager already updates the descriptions weekly, why not make it capable of updating itself?
Writing an app that replaces itself as it runs is... complicated.

I could have it let you know there is an update. The way the Profile/SavedGame Editor does.
Last edited by Vhati on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Vhati wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:While modding, I unzip my ftl files and edit them, then have a batch file that re-zips up the ftl and then runs modman (hence wanting command line options) If I could skip the zipping step that'd be just all the more convenient.
It extracts the file to temp and spawns a text editor. After you close the editor - it checks if the temp file was modified and offers to re-add it to the archive.

If I add commandline, I could maybe include an arg to do the zipping...

5thHorseman wrote:when you resize the window it'd be cool if the program both remembered that for next time...
Another good idea.

dalolorn wrote:seeing as the mod manager already updates the descriptions weekly, why not make it capable of updating itself?
Writing an app that replaces itself as it runs is... complicated.

I could have it let you know there is an update. The way the Profile/SavedGame editor does.

Well, I've seen programs that, while incapable of updating themselves as they ran (don't get me wrong, I've seen some that did that as well), were capable of downloading the update.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Vhati wrote:

I spend my life on the command line, so the idea of using a gui to access a text file inside a zip file is completely counter to my workflow. I consider every time I have to touch the mouse to be a loss in the game of computing. :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Dovawolf

Postby Dovawolf » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:19 pm

I have little to say other than, this one works, gorgnak's didn't on my pc
thefinn

Postby thefinn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks so much for this, today my computer crashed while playing FTL and it - somehow - wiped ALL my stats, ships and achievements, while I don't know any of the stats at least I can get back to earning the rest of the ships.

Thanks!
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 am

thefinn wrote:Thanks so much for this, [...] I can get back to earning the rest of the ships.

I'm not sure how the mod manager's helping with that, unless you're using mods to make the game easier...

Maybe you meant to post that in the Profile/SavedGame Editor thread (link).

Glad either of my apps helped, in any case. ;)
Sovereighn2280

Postby Sovereighn2280 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Hey Vhati. You helped me months ago when I first tried using Grognak's.
Anyway, I've run into a small issue. :?

I've recently removed my saves so I could start the game again (I did this by moving the prof.sav file). I went to download some graphical mods and Turning the Tide (Graphical mods include Diversity Graphical version, Better Asteroids, Better Planets and Backgrounds, and High-Res Backgrounds). However, when I attempted to play the game again, it froze when the game finished loading (I was still on the loading screen but the loading bar was full). I decided to validate the mods and got this

Code: Select all

@ KRS Turning the Tide.ftl:
  -------------------------

> data/rebel_destroyer.xml

~ Strict XML Parser Issues:
  ! <gib1>...</gib2>

@ Highres Backgrounds V1.0.ftl:
  -----------------------------

> data/events_imageList.xml
~ UTF-8 BOM detected. (Some tools may not handle BOMs)

~ This mod doesn't append. It clobbers.

@ better_asteroids.ftl:
  ---------------------

@ Better Planets and Backgrounds_v1.3.ftl:
  ----------------------------------------

> data/events_imageList.xml
~ UTF-8 BOM detected. (Some tools may not handle BOMs)

@ diversityMod_0.3_Graphical.ftl:
  -------------------------------

> data/blueprints.xml.append

~ Strict XML Parser Issues:
  ! <?xml... ?> should only occur on the first line.
  ! <!-- No other dashes should touch. -->
  ! <tooltip...>...</desc>
  ! <speed...>...</image>

FTL itself can tolerate lots of XML typos and still run. But malformed XML may break tools that do proper parsing, and it hinders the development of new tools.

In future releases, Slipstream will try to parse XML while patching: first strictly, then failing over to a sloppy parser. The sloppy parser will tolerate similar errors, at the risk of unforseen behavior, so satisfying the strict parser is advised.

I downloaded all the up to date files (As far as I can tell) and I'm on v1.03.3 of FTL. Any idea on what I could do?
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Sovereighn2280 wrote:I went to download some graphical mods and Turning the Tide (Graphical mods include Diversity Graphical version, Better Asteroids, Better Planets and Backgrounds, and High-Res Backgrounds). However, when I attempted to play the game again, it froze when the game finished loading (I was still on the loading screen but the loading bar was full).

Nothing out of the ordinary in those messages...

The usual proceedure:
  • Just to get the game running: no mods.
  • Add one or two mods, and try again.
  • Repeat this until encounter problems: whereupon you'll know the culprit was most recently added.
  • Changing the their order might resolve conflicts. But some mods can't coexist.
  • If you see anything odd in the log, post it here.

Btw, these both entirely replace the same file (events_imagelist.xml), so the mod that comes first has no effect.
Highres Backgrounds V1.0.ftl
Better Planets and Backgrounds_v1.3.ftl
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Vhati wrote:
Sovereighn2280 wrote:I went to download some graphical mods and Turning the Tide (Graphical mods include Diversity Graphical version, Better Asteroids, Better Planets and Backgrounds, and High-Res Backgrounds). However, when I attempted to play the game again, it froze when the game finished loading (I was still on the loading screen but the loading bar was full).

Nothing out of the ordinary in those messages...

The usual proceedure:
  • Just to get the game running: no mods.
  • Add one or two mods, and try again.
  • Repeat this until encounter problems: whereupon you'll know the culprit was most recently added.
  • Changing the their order might resolve conflicts. But some mods can't coexist.
  • If you see anything odd in the log, post it here.

Btw, these both entirely replace the same file (events_imagelist.xml), so the mod that comes first has no effect.
Highres Backgrounds V1.0.ftl
Better Planets and Backgrounds_v1.3.ftl

However, if you really don't like those errors, you're free to go and solve them.

The issue in T3 is pretty easy to resolve, just change </gib2> to </gib1>.

The UTF-8 issue should be resolvable by opening the relevant file in Notepad and saving it with another encoding. I'm not sure which one is best, sadly.

Issue 1 in DiversityMod is pretty self-explanatory, issues 2-4 are... tricky...

They're far too easy to conceal.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:51 pm

dalolorn wrote:The UTF-8 issue should be resolvable by opening the relevant file in Notepad and saving it with another encoding. I'm not sure which one is best, sadly.

Telling Notepad to save as "ANSI" will make that warning go away (see readme_modders.txt for a primer/glossary on encodings).

Article: Super User - Notepad, ANSI, and Unicode

dalolorn wrote:issues 2-4 are... tricky...

! <!-- No other dashes should touch. -->
  ! <tooltip...>...</desc>
  ! <speed...>...</image>

They're far too easy to conceal.

It's simple enough to search for "<tooltip" or "<speed".
Skip along until you see ones that end inappropriately (it's all on a single line), and correct it.

<speed>75</image>

Likewise searching for "<!--", though it can be a small block of text.
Sometimes it's really obvious that dashes in the middle are touching each other, or touching the ends.

<!----------
Section Name
 ---------->