[SHIP][WIP] Deep Blue

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Lanvi

[SHIP][WIP] Deep Blue

Postby Lanvi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Deep Blue.

concept is a ship that maximizes blue options.

graphics is a simple recolor of engi b. room layout is the same. (for now?)

initial design

The huge number of blue options for teleport, mantis and rock requires them to be in the build which in turn makes the ship lean towards a boarding oriented role.

Weapon loadout needs a lot of work. might change it to a mini beam + ion bomb + anti personnel drone

Beam type weapon is needed for a blue option.
Ion type weapon is needed for a blue option.
Bio-beam/anti-personnel drone/boarding drone is needed for Giant Spiders. (what would be the point of making a blue option oriented ship if it couldn't deal with those stupid spiders)

I really need feedback on this as I'm having a hard time balancing it.
dalolorn

Re: [SHIP][WIP] Deep Blue

Postby dalolorn » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Lanvi wrote:Deep Blue.

concept is a ship that maximizes blue options.

graphics is a simple recolor of engi b. room layout is the same. (for now?)

initial design

The huge number of blue options for teleport, mantis and rock requires them to be in the build which in turn makes the ship lean towards a boarding oriented role.

Weapon loadout needs a lot of work. might change it to a mini beam + ion bomb + anti personnel drone

Beam type weapon is needed for a blue option.
Ion type weapon is needed for a blue option.
Bio-beam/anti-personnel drone/boarding drone is needed for Giant Spiders. (what would be the point of making a blue option oriented ship if it couldn't deal with those stupid spiders)

I really need feedback on this as I'm having a hard time balancing it.

OP. :P

I don't feel the need to say anything else. ;)

Edit: Also, I think an Ion Burst and Mini Beam would be much better. Throw in a Basic Laser or Dual Lasers if you're feeling generous. :)
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:38 pm

A ship ready to deal with all blue options will not leave much for the player to upgrade. Maybe try to cover some blue options or nerf the ship in other ways?

For example you'd need a Glaive Beam to torch the Mantis War Camp, so give it to the player, but don't give them the system power or energy to power it at the start of the game. The Glaive is also slow as hell and hard to use early on without benefits of xp or other weapons. Much better choice than the asskicking Mini-Beam imo.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Yeah it's hard to put a teleporter, a rock man, and a mantis on a ship and have it NOT be OP :)

If I may suggest, try one or more of the following:
  • Drop the laser altogether. Lack of damage-dealing can help curb early-game OPness.
  • Swap the LRS for a level 2 scanner. Unless I'm mistaken most if not all LRS blues are also Advanced Scanner blues, and LRS is one of the best augments in the game.
  • Swap the Ion Blast for a Heavy Ion. Longer charge time and frequently does the same thing the Ion Blast does. Also, it'll force the player to put another power into weapons to get it online with the Bio beam.
  • Alternatively (or as well if you're feeling mean) drop weapon power to 2.
  • You could drop door control, just to weaken the ship a little more.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Lanvi

Postby Lanvi » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:46 am

My original reasoning for the LRS instead of l2 sensors was that you would have to rely on your slug to judge the crew of the other ship but in my playtests having the LRS meant that I was too strategically choosing jump points instead of relying on my diverse loadout. so I might switch that

The first version I played of this I had no damaging weapons but the game threw like 4 auto-assaults at me in a row so I got a bit frustrated and gave it a weapon. (haven't unlocked/played Mantis ships yet so no idea how those deal)

I'm thinking about removing the teleporter and changing it's main offensive to a beam weapon + ion weapon.
(maybe Halberd + Ion bomb) and adding an anti-personnel/boarding drone for spiders.

The Giant spider blue-option stuff is REQUIRED. NON NEGOTIABLE
(seriously. fuck spiders)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:42 am

Lanvi wrote:The first version I played of this I had no damaging weapons but the game threw like 4 auto-assaults at me in a row so I got a bit frustrated and gave it a weapon. (haven't unlocked/played Mantis ships yet so no idea how those deal)

The Mantises have a trick strategy for dealing with auto-assault ships: Run away! :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:48 am

Lanvi wrote:The Giant spider blue-option stuff is REQUIRED. NON NEGOTIABLE
(seriously. fuck spiders)

Lol, fair enough. Ion+Halberd sounds too good, problem is there aren't any weak beams except maybe ABB. Coincidentally i'm not sure, but the ABB may work on the Mantis blue option too.

Mantis cannot deal with auto-scouts but with a lvl2 teleporter it's possible to wreck their weapons long enough to escape.

You know, all this OP talk is irrelevant if the ship is fun to play, so make that your goal.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.