FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Torchwood202
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:37 am

I just though of something... what if we can make events for specific player ships. Is that even possible/legal?
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:58 am

Pretty sure that's against the law. Would be way too much fun. Just like dancing in the streets. Also I guess there is no proper way to make a certain player ship a requirement. Dummy augmentations could do it, but they take an aug slot and would enable you to sell your ships characteristic. Thinking about it: Slug Gel, Mantis Pheromones and Crystal Vengeance could offer some unique blue options, just like Rock Armour does. The player would still be able to sell off the ships characteristic trait and loose the events this way...
Torchwood202
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:07 pm

We need moar augmentations. I heard that in order to add a aug, you need to replace one...is that true?
User avatar
kartoFlane
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:13 pm

It is possible to create custom augmentations, but they won't be able to do anything. You can just carry them around like jewelry and sell them for scrap, but no new functionality (or even two augmentations of the same type, but with different values)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Torchwood202
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Event Idea, Found in Nebula

Thunder rolls through uncharted nebula. Even though your sensors are disabled, you can clearly see a ship in the distance...well, as clearly as you can. As you maneuver closer, you see that this is a large AI rebel ship! It appears to be deactivated. Through the clouds, you can see it has a weapon attached!

1. Attempt to take the weapon
2. Leave it
3. (Blue option) Have your Engi take the weapon

1a. You successfully take the weapon without danger. (REWARD: random weapon)
1b. As you move closer, lightning strikes the rebel ship! It suddenly comes to life and attacks! (REWARD: a fight)
1c. As soon as you try to take it, the ship slowly comes apart. It seems it was held together barely. The weapons has been destroyed. (REWARD: low scrap)

2a. That ship is probably deactivated for a reason. Better not mess with it.

3a. Your Engi finds not one, but two weapons! "AI defensive program active. Anti-virus will cause destruction of one at chance of 100%." Which weapon do you take?
1. Take (Random weapon)
2. Take (Random weapon)

1a. Sure enough, when you take the weapon, the ship's AI deactivates the other weapon. (REWARD: chosen random weapon)
2a. Sure enough, when you take the weapon, the ship's AI deactivates the other weapon. (REWARD: chosen random weapon)
Torchwood202
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Event Idea

Your sensors detect a trace of something...unnatural.

1. Investigate
2. Ignore it

1a. You find a ancient artifact! Years ago, humans used this pig-shaped jar to store what they referred as "money". (REWARD: Piggy bank augmentation, can be sold for high amounts of scrap)

1b. You find a small AI scout with pirate markings! You can't quite understand how pirates managed to make a AI or if they just painted the markings on, but the ship attacks anyway! (REWARD: a battle)

1c. You find remnants of a old battle, decaying ships everywhere. Some of ships are still salvageable. (REWARD: Med scrap)
agigabyte
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 am

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby agigabyte » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:21 am

EVENT IDEA
You find a damaged Blue vessel made out of crystal... that is almost twice the rebel flagship's size.

1a. Leave it alone.
1b. Scrap it. Result one: A shard of crystal flies off and passes through your shields. (1-3 damage taken.)
1c. Board it. Result one: You find Multiple stasis pods, all damaged. (Linked to choice set 2)
1d. (2 or more shields) Scrap it without fear of retaliation by unknown defenses. Result one: A shard of crystal flies off but is deflected by your shields, this happens a couple more times. (Medium scrap)

2a. Scrap them. Result one: (10% chance of this happening) You scrap the pods and feel a little bit sorry for it. (High scrap, High conscience damage. :D ) Result two: (90% chance of this happening.) The pods open and three crystal step out, they attack and force you back to the ship. (Three crystal boarders.)
2b. (Zoltan\Crystal\Engi Crewman) Have your crewman open the pods. Result one: A crystal steps out of one pod and thanks you, offering to join your crew after giving his crew a space funeral. (One Crystal crewman)
snowhusky5
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby snowhusky5 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I know you can't add augments that actually affect battles, apparently, but I can think of one that would be nice: asteroid miner piloting. Would give a blue option at all the asteroid field events, and the engi scrapyard event, (not the ones where you always fight a ship, the ones where you explore an asteroid field) to give a 0% chance of taking damage, but all the other results of any specific event (nothing, scrap, crystal ship w/stasis pod, fuel, etc) were still possible with the same probability. Only exception is that if you do it on the 'dense asteroid field w/distress beacon,' you will always get the crystal ship event, and not the abandoned pirate ship. The rock armor does the same thing on that event.

description of the augment would be something like 'Used by asteroid miners to navigate through asteroid fields. Ineffective in a battle.' The price would be 80 (expensive because if it wasn't, why would you encounter so many illegal miners being crushed by rocks?).

You can buy it from shops, find it as a random augment in an event which gives you one, or maybe as a reward in a specific event. If you want a specific event for it, someone else will have to make it. This augment should be most common in civilian and engi sectors
snowhusky5
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby snowhusky5 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Another idea! when you defeat a slave ship by killing the crew, you know how there is a chance that you get to choose between mantis, engi, and rockman? I think you should change it so that, while the overall chance to get to pick a race is the same, 75% of those picks will be between rock, engi, and mantis, but 25% will be slug, zoltan, or human. Or you could mix it up and make like 30 different events each with a 1% chance of happening (basically) with all the possible race combos to pick from.

TL;DR I think it's strange how, if you get it, you always pick from rock, mantis, engi when you kill the crew of a slave ship, and never the other 3 (normal) races
aaaaaa50
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: FTL Captains Edition: Call for Events/Textlists

Postby aaaaaa50 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:13 pm

snowhusky5 wrote:TL;DR I think it's strange how, if you get it, you always pick from rock, mantis, engi when you kill the crew of a slave ship, and never the other 3 (normal) races


That's because, with the system the devs used, making it work that way would mean making a separate script for each combination, and modding it in means a really big chance that one of the chances would have an error and maybe crash the game.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests