Event troubles

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Zaffre

Event troubles

Postby Zaffre » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:31 pm

I've been trying to mod events in for a long time now but it always seems to not work. Whenever I launch the game with a modified event, it crashes after the loading bar finishes, with the error message "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Here is my events.xml.append. Currently I've only modified one event, which is the mercenary one. (Note that the eventList has two of the same event to increase the chances of that event happening, could this be my error?)

Code: Select all

<!-- Adding stuff to existing events -->

<event name="MERCENARY">
   <text load="MERCENARY"/>
   <ship load="PIRATE" hostile="false"/>
   <choice>
      <text>Hire the mercenary to delay the Rebels.</text>
      <event>
         <text>The mercenary ship masks its jump signature to mimic your own and then jumps off in the opposite direction. This should keep the Rebels guessing.</text>
         <item_modify>
            <item type="scrap" min="-25" max="-10"/>
         </item_modify>
         <modifyPursuit amount="-2"/>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>Hire the mercenary to scout the sector.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Your map has been updated.</text>
         <item_modify>
            <item type="scrap" min="-20" max="-10"/>
         </item_modify>
         <reveal_map/>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>Fight the ship.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Mercenaries are worse than rebels. The only honorable course is to engage the mercenary in battle.</text>
         <ship hostile="true"/>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice>
      <text>You have no need of his services.</text>
      <event/>
   </choice>
   <choice hidden="true" req="wildfire_blast">
      <text>(Wildfire Blast) Blackmail the merc into giving you free service.</text>
      <event load="MERC_WILDFIRE_RESULTS"/>
   </choice>
</event>

<eventList name="MERC_WILDFIRE_RESULTS">
   <event>   
      <text>The mercenary panics and arms his weapons and begins attack!</text>
      <ship hostile="true"/>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>"No need to get so hasty! Take these star charts and leave us alone." Your map has been updated.</text>
      <reveal_map/>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>"That's a nice-looking weapon you have there..." The ship moves closer toward you and fires off a missile. It hits before you can begin evasive maneuvers.</text>
      <damage amount="3"/>
      <ship hostile="true"/>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>The mercenary appears to be unfazed, and cuts off communications. That went badly.</text>
   <event/>
   <event>
      <text>"No need to get so hasty! Take these star charts and leave us alone." Your map has been updated.</text>
      <reveal_map/>
   </event>
   <event>
      <text>The mercenary jumps away but you realize that they've masked their jump signatures and delayed the Rebel fleet.</text>
      <modifyPursuit amount="-2"/>
   </event>
</eventList>

It's been a while since I've modded so it may just be a simple error. Either way, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sleeper Service

Re: Event troubles

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:15 am

Hm couldn't manage to find an error there. Have you validate with GMM?

Also, did you place the eventlists in events.xml.append.? Cause I'm not sure if they override correctly if they are not in the append for their original xml file. Most eventlists for the civilian sectors are placed in newEvents.xml, I think that’s also where the mercenary event is normally found. If it is also part of other lists then the new lists should be in the corresponding .appends as well. Maybe you can give some details on which event-lists you modified and where you did put them.