[Mod Request] Alien Variety

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
slye20

[Mod Request] Alien Variety

Postby slye20 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 pm

First off, if I'm an idiot and this mod already exists, feel free to tell me.
Second, I don't know the damndest thing about modding, so bare with me if I'm sort of shooting for the impossible here.

Anyways, what I'd like to see is a mod that adds more sprites for the other races of FTL. Like, the Humans have their two variants, the short hair and the long hair, but all the other races have just one static appearance. So, what if, for example Crystals could be either blue or red - like the Crystal Cruiser's alternate layout. Or maybe brown slugs to go along with their yellow brethren? I think it'd add a nice little touch of variety to the universe while not really sacrificing anything.
Also, I could do recolouring of the sprites if need be, but I just don't have the know-how to access FTL's sprite images on my own, nor do I know how to implement them into any sort of code or .ftl file.
Again, if this isn't possible, or already exists, let me know. I tend to be oblivious at times.
And thanks for your time :3

EDIT: I now realize this is currently impossible. Thanks to those who took the time to answer, though :P
Last edited by slye20 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
speedoflight

Re: [Mod Request] Alien Variety

Postby speedoflight » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Thats not possible.

The 2 variants are only present in the human crew, besides u cant create new crew sprites, u can just modify the ones that are already there. Modding crew is one of the long list of failures in the modding possibilites. :(
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 am

slye20 wrote:Anyways, what I'd like to see is a mod that adds more sprites for the other races of FTL.

I've wistfully thought of this so many times, unfortunately it's impossible. Maybe it could be possible with Overdrive? http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2866
Kit

Postby Kit » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 am

I've been wishing for this to be possible for a while now too. I would've loved to try my hand at creating new sprites for each race myself.

A Mantis variant based off the gorgeous Malaysian Orchid Mantis, a Zoltan with different shape or glow colour, a more vibrant and intricate Slug, a more elegantly or uniformly shaped Rock, red-coloured Crystals, my list of ideas goes on.

If Overdrive really can make this kind of thing possible, you can count me on board as part of the development.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 am

You can make new sprites to replace the vanilla ones, but that's the extent of what can be done.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
slye20

Postby slye20 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Alrightie, I should have figured someone would have already done this if it were possible. Oh, well, thanks for informing me.

We shall have to wait for Overdrive to see then, I take it :3
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Kit wrote:I've been wishing for this to be possible for a while now too. I would've loved to try my hand at creating new sprites for each race myself.

A Mantis variant based off the gorgeous Malaysian Orchid Mantis, a Zoltan with different shape or glow colour, a more vibrant and intricate Slug, a more elegantly or uniformly shaped Rock, red-coloured Crystals, my list of ideas goes on.

Well this are really neat ideas I'd say. You could event do it as a replacement mod for now If you are motivated. Wouldn’t increase variety, but people still might like to play with completely new, replaced crew sprites for a change.

Some of the FTL Fan Art also includes great ideas of how the individual aliens could look like in detail.
Omen267901

Postby Omen267901 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Yeah, I wish there could be better sprites (Or at least more variety in the normal ones), but I guess we'll have to wait for Overdrive. I wish I knew C# now. :cry: