Calling all modders

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DryEagle

Calling all modders

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Greetings humans and others and robots etc.

I have in my head a rather expansive idea for a major modification for FTL. We're talking total conversion.
With pirates.
Oceans.
Battleships.

However, this is far too much work for 1 person to do in a reasonable amount of time.
So, if this is to be realised, I would like to gather a group of ~5 people, perhaps more, who would be willing to contribute to the project and get it done. Release time would be 8th of June at the latest, to give you a time frame (>6 weeks, basically). Primary communication would be done via sync.in as this is similar to IRC but with persistent chatlog and document section where you can post links and text etc (to-do lists, yeaaaaah).

If this interests you, and you are willing to put in a suitable amount of time/effort to cover your section of the project, then this is what we need, in order of priority:

- Graphics artist(s). 2 or more would be great. Graphics for the ships, weapons, crews, backgrounds, UI. In that order of priority.
- Event writer(s). 2 kinds here: those who will write the text and event chains, and those who will put it into code.
- Ship/equipment designer(s). Ship layouts, weapon stats, systems, etc.

This would be a major project. Looking at 9 playable ships (possibly with B-versions to come later when everything else gets done), at least 10 different enemy ships, complete from-scratch rewrite of all events/sectors, new types of stores, etc... you get the idea.
Basically keep the game mechanics and basic framework, and change everything else.

I'll see how many replies we get by 20th April. If we have enough people by then, this will commence in earnest. Otherwise... well, it's a thought.

Note that you don't need to have a great deal of creativity to be of great use to this project. The overall designs and even more specific details will be provided as necessary. It's just there's a lot of things to do for something like this and one person can't do it alone in this kind of timeframe while still keeping up standards of quality.

The (very cursory) roster so far:
brothershogo - ?
Avalrin - art
DCChuckles - art
5thHorseman - events and maybe more
VanguardofValor - maybe events
BrenTenkage - playtesting
Last edited by DryEagle on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
BrenTenkage

Re: Calling all modders

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm not a modder, but perhaps you would like a tester, meaning you give me the file to use, and I record it and put it on youtube as private, it will be put in as a beta video, not released until you release the mod. What you think?
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
BadgersCanSpace

Postby BadgersCanSpace » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:54 pm

What era are we talking here? Like... tea clippers and caravels in the early 1600s, or aircraft carriers and destroyers in the mid 20th century? Or like... a mix of both?
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

I can attempt some sprites, if you want. I'm up for it and at least competent :)
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 pm

We're talking cannonballs and sails era... think Master and Commander, for want of a better film (i refuse to use that disney stuff as a reference point)
ImageImageImageImage
brothershogo

Postby brothershogo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Hey DryEagle,

Never been part of a modding team since R:TW Europa Barbarorum. But would love to be part of a new modding team. I've gotten tired of the egotistical Nexus (Skyrim,Fallout,New Vegas) modding community so I'm up for some cooperation among modders. Count me in if you want....
ImageImageImage
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:13 pm

I can do pixel-art size things, weapons and crew for example, much less full-size things like the ship appearance itself. I will be needing fairly clear instructions on where to find original images for size/palette comparisons.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Sp what can I do, can I do a test and make videos to show me testing aspects?
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Avalrin, the crew is basically a single sheet which contains all frames for their animations. Here's an example of the human one:
Just so you know how much you'd need to do before you commit to it, if you plan on doing crew graphics.
Images are stored as 32-bit PNG.
If you have unpacked data files they're in resources/img/people
ImageImageImageImage
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:34 pm

I might be willing to write some events, but I'm not entirely sure yet. Looks like this could be a fun little project to be a part of though!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...