Calling all modders

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ThePieman

Re: Calling all modders

Postby ThePieman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:17 pm

DryEagle wrote:
Pieman -

As I said, the weapons here will be quite substantially different. We're basically going to have the split of 2 categories being "cannons" (lasers) and "bolts" (missiles) - bolts will include things like harpoons, which cause breaches, and incindary bolts which cause fires, etc. Basically one is for direct damage and the other is for special effects.

Hrm, seems like a good idea. So will Cannons use ammo or bolts, or both?
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 am

Canons can use cannon-balls, incendiary ammunition, grape-shot.

About crew races (well, specialization) - Zoltans-drunkards would drink all the grog and leave the crew with less... How about chaplains? Don't drink and inspire the crew, giving more energy.

EDIT - somewhat happy with fighter...
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am

Alvarin wrote:Canons can use cannon-balls, incendiary ammunition, grape-shot.

About crew races (well, specialization) - Zoltans-drunkards would drink all the grog and leave the crew with less... How about chaplains? Don't drink and inspire the crew, giving more energy.

EDIT - somewhat happy with fighter...

They look great, nice job!
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Those are looking quite nice ;)
If you want it to be chaplains then go for it, that makes sense too. Both of them also have good reason to have the HP reduction ;)

The bolts will be replacing the missiles, since those are a bit more crafted and high-end kind of ammo, compared to cannons, which basically just shoot whatever lump of metal you stuff into it.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:14 pm

I feel like it'd make sense for cannons to do hull damage and breach. Just curious, what are you guys gonna do for bombs, ions, and beams?
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Next two went fairly quickly. Now stuck on the slug stand-in.
I'll be starting the animation soon. How do I incorporate the new image sheet into the game iles?
I've got the unpacked resources folder, but replacing the file there does nothing, as it gets overwritten...
I'll need to test the animation sequence somehow...

DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:41 pm

those are looking really cool so far! for the armored guy, think you can add a bit of a plume to the top of the hat? :D

To get it ingame,
1. create a zip file
2. put the appropriate folder tree into the zip... the folder [img] and inside that [people]
3. put the art file into the people folder in the zip
4. rename the .zip extension to .ftl
5. use GMM to patch it in

if a telescope is too complicated, maybe binoculars or something?
or whatever you can do that makes sense for seeing things from further away, without it being magical or mystical etc, since we're trying to not go down that path
if it's too hard to make any kind of sensible graphic for it we'll just leave them out, same as we're leaving crystals out cause lockdown is nonsensical in this context

also, do we have anyone willing to do ship hull graphics, or other images? if not, I'll be working on them myself, but I'm no artist...
for the ship graphics we can do it one of two ways, either I give you the floor layout and you draw around that, or you draw a graphic and a floor plan will be added on top. so let me know, whoever is interested in doing that
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks for the file inclusion explanation!

I don't think they used to decorate their actual armors, but fiction is fiction.

ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey Dry, I'd be happy to do a bit of testing and such once you have a working version of the mod, would that be alright with you?
Alvarin

Postby Alvarin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:46 am

I figured the scholar doesn't have to stick the scope to his eye constantly...
Unless there are rejects, I'll start animating in several days.