Yes, flooding will certainly be the way to go. Funny thing is, if you think about it... putting lots of water in the ship is the same as putting lots of vacuum in the ship, in terms of it running out of oxygen, so we don't have to worry about that bit of the UI initially
I had considered a side-on view, as this would certainly be better, but there were a few issues:
1) all of the extra animation work compared to just recolouring and adding a little detail to the current models,
2) vertical movement. Since systemless rooms can't have room graphics, you can't just put in ladders and stuff, which would mean it wouldn't look very nice, or alternatively would limit your ship design quite a bit.
3) drones movement...
4) the way the guns are done, in terms of projectile angles etc, it wouldn't really make sense for side-on if you're being suddenly shot from below...
5) enemy ships shoot up, not to the side, meaning they'd either have to have a rotated side-on view, which would mean the crew sprites would be wrong by 90 degrees, or they'd have to be shooting their guns vertically, which wouldn't make sense since they're still using the same guns as the regular players in most cases.
1) - No recoloring, it needs to be done from scratch anyways, that was my reason for the turning.
2) - Layers of thin halls with the doors being trapdoors.
3) - I don't see any problem with the drones...
4) - It's not really from below - just like current isn't exactly top view, but slightly isometric, so would be the "side view", making the shot direction possible (same as drones movement)
5) - Is the shooting hardcoded to "up"? If not, shooting "down" will be perfect.
Anyhow, just an idea. I just am really struggling with the re-design of the crew - just way too few pixels to add any detail... Think about it - the legs are just two pixels long currently, so if I want to curve the cutlass, even by single pixel, it looks to be curved the whole 80cm, which is just wrong...