[SHIP] Firestarter - request graphics help please

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
arcuspilot

[SHIP] Firestarter - request graphics help please

Postby arcuspilot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 am

It's my new ship - taken it to the end and it can be a blast. I''ve been mucking around with custom room graphics and they all work fine but I'm not happy with my own art. The starting crew, a human and an engi find that there are no sleeping quarters and have put their bedrolls in the sensor and pilot room. I've put them in but they don't really match the FTL graphic style.

Would somebody please make me a bedroll like the ones I added but that, well... that look like they belong better? More pixel-ly? Then I could add them to the sensor room and pilot room. Or, feel free to unpack the file - link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc70qdu929r7h ... tarter.ftl and add them for me :D

Another artistic add-on I'd love somebody to help me with would be adding some flame graphics to the leading edges of the wingtips and fuselage.

If I could get these things added, I'll write a story for it and post the speedy little bugger.
BrenTenkage

Re: [SHIP] Firestarter - request graphics help please

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:22 am

....a fire ship....*eye twitch* when can I play with it?
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
arcuspilot

Postby arcuspilot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 am

Hi Bren

Take her out right now - follow the link and download The Firestarter. It's just the jazzy graphics I want to change. She works fine as is. I'd love your feedback too.

Arcus
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Looks amazing, you really like making Mantis ships, don't you?
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:19 pm

My only complaint to this ship is that it has no custom fire starting weapons LOL
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
arcuspilot

Postby arcuspilot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm

I do love the look of mantis ships - in my opinion they're the ships that really look like they mean business in the game.
Mmmm... custom weapons. That's something I've yet to try but want to. My main concern there is play balance. Especially if I'm posting it on the web. I'll have to think about that in the future though.

Thanks for the feedback so far, fellas.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:48 am

balance, screw balance, make them fun LOL
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:35 am

I can't help you on the graphics, but I have to say I had fun with the ship.

If you're taking suggestions, I'd suggest you remove the availability to buy the items you can't mount (teleporter, drones. I assume you can't mount them as there are no rooms for it) and drop the cloak to start. It's wholly unnecessary as the ship is pretty awesome without it.

And maybe drop the extra scanner and other stuff, to justify starting with the pre-ignitor.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
arcuspilot

Postby arcuspilot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:32 am

Great ideas, 5thHorseman. Could you please tell me how to drop the ability to buy drones and teleporter? I wanted to do that.
I also like the idea of having to buy the cloak - again, I didn't know how to make that possible.
The reason for the extra scanner is that Flint, the pilot, loves to watch his enemies well... burn. He's a bit deranged, I know and I explain why in this ship's story.

Thanks very much

Arcus
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:19 am

I'm not a modder, sadly, but I know it's possible. The forum is not letting me search for any of the words I can think of as keywords, either, which is making it harder.

I recall that in the ship's .ftl file, someone was discussing how there were 2 settings, one for if the ship starts with something and one for if the thing is available in stores. I could be misremembering details, but in general that's roughly correct :)

Hopefully someone with experience in this will stop by to give more information. Sorry I can't help more!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."