Create-a-mod challenge - template included!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DryEagle

Create-a-mod challenge - template included!

Postby DryEagle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi guys!
I am here to present a challenge to you. Or perhaps, to give it a better name, an opportunity.
Using this basic template of a ship that I have made and included here, I would like you to design the most interesting and complete ship/mod you can come up with. Take some time and get the little details right; the basics have already been done. Use the checklist below to make sure you haven't missed anything important.

.ftl download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?clm0wiyets1c6ll

full size hull graphic (the mod uses a smaller one obviously): http://i.imgur.com/KTJaCsL.png
(just included here incase it's needed e.g. to make nicer gibs or something)
- image by Troodon80 from dA

What this contains:
- ship hull graphic, shield, both correctly aligned
- room layout, and all doors correct and working
- weapon mounts correctly aligned (probably)
- basic loadout of crew, weapons, systems powered for testing
- nothing else. basically, it works and won't crash the game, but it's INTENTIONALLY INCOMPLETE.

Required to-do list:
(this stuff must be done before you can call it a complete ship)
- room slot alignment, room graphics
- gibs leave transparant if you can't make one, but at least include the file)
- floor image layer (leave transparant if you can't make one, but at least include the file)
- starting loadout - at the very least, balance it (it's OP as it is)
- description
- miniship image

A drone system may be added; the blank room numbers were probably 8 and 9. Cloaking should not be added, as the UI was not intended for cloaking and artillery on one ship.

Optional to-do list:
(this stuff will make your mod stand out... this is a short list of a few ideas. much more can be done!)
- unique weapons and weapon graphics
- starting augments
- custom upgrade pricing and levels
- custom events
- unique shield graphic
- modified shop inventories
- sound effects
- ui overhaul - load screen, menus...
- 17 other ships from the mass effect universe :lol:

The whole point of this is to see what kind of high-quality mod people can put out. I want you to polish the bells and sharpen the whistles before you declare it ready.
This is not a competition, there is no prize, this is purely for self-improvement and fun. Don't be shy to ask for help or suggestions on how to do a certain thing you have in mind, or how to fix it when it breaks.
Everyone who makes good mods started somewhere, and probably most people's first attempts were not the best. I know mine was definitely terrible. That is why I am doing this, to help encourage others to try their hand at modding. You are given a basic mostly-working ship, now it's time to show off what you can do.

I'll be watching this thread to answer any questions you have. I promise I'll be nice ;)
You can also contact myself and other friendly people on #ftlgame on quakenet irc, or feel free to hop on my teamspeak at dry.no-ip.org - server is up whenever I'm online.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
ThePieman

Re: Create-a-mod challenge - template included!

Postby ThePieman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 am

If I could actually mod, I'd love to try this out, but...
EDIT:
After looking up some info on the M-44 Hammerhead on the Mass Effect Wiki:
An integrated mineral collection system allows the Hammerhead to retrieve any resources it finds during a mission.
...improve its weak armor plating, but the refit was not completed...
The Hammerhead is armed with a single gun...boasting a fairly high rate of fire and a guided missile system that ensures accuracy even during aggressive maneuvering.
So, maybe start it with one missile cannon, maybe just firing a few projectiles at a time? Crew teleporter for sure, maybe a scrap recovery arm, and less hull health. Best of luck to the modders who decide to try and make this!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:29 am

@ThePieman
Well, if we were to be so hard on lore, then might I mention that Hammerhead isn't even capable of space flight (its thrusters are "turbines" IIRC, so they need an atmosphere to function). It's a terrestrial exploration vehicle for hazardous environments, and is the size of a small fighter (around 10 metres length), hence it is carried to planets and (after a mission is completed) retrieved by proper spacecraft, like frigates and cruisers. In ME cruisers can only descend on low-gravity worlds, so that only leaves frigates as eligible for optimal Hammerhead usage and transport.

...Yeah. Sorry. :geek:
You definitely should give it a try, modding FTL isn't hard at all. Take a while to look into the files and the documentation we have gathered.

@topic
I like it, trying to get the community more engaged :D It actually might not be a bad idea, for example to get Mantis to hold a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly inspiration thread with a theme, to get people to create more quality mods.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 am

kartoFlane wrote:@ThePieman
Well, if we were to be so hard on lore, then might I mention that Hammerhead isn't even capable of space flight (its thrusters are "turbines" IIRC, so they need an atmosphere to function). It's a terrestrial exploration vehicle for hazardous environments, and is the size of a small fighter (around 10 metres length), hence it is carried to planets and (after a mission is completed) retrieved by proper spacecraft, like frigates and cruisers. In ME cruisers can only descend on low-gravity worlds, so that only leaves frigates as eligible for optimal Hammerhead usage and transport.

Haha, I sorta looked over that. I've never played Mass Effect, so I literally scanned the page in 5 seconds while writing an English paper.