The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Chrono Vortex

Re: The Shipyard

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:28 pm

TaxiService wrote:
Chrono Vortex wrote:As for updating ship graphics mid-fight, the only way I can think to do that is making the entire ship a weapon animation.

What is this wizardry!? :0 Like, you mean a transparent hull image or is there a way to use an animation as the hull??

I meant for an enemy ship. There isn't a way to use a weapon animation as the hull, but replacing the hull of an enemy ship with just a big weapon animation wouldn't make much of a difference, since it would only disappear if it jumped away. Wouldn't really work on a player ship unfortunately, your suggestion would probably be the best way to go for that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 pm

I tried making some planets in FTL's art style that I'll probably never use. Here they are in order of size:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:57 am

Since there is talk about weapons as hulls, I will point out my attempt: Chain Vulcan 900. The download link is near the bottom of the post, since it was a bonus ship that didn't fit in with the main mod.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
LaytheDragon

Postby LaytheDragon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:12 pm

TaxiService wrote:Yeah, i was about to link that but i'm slow af. Also check out glows in GIMP. The color used originally is #FFAABA, and i think a good width would be in the 20-30 pixels range but it depends mostly on your ship. Try multiple values, and be sure to add a dark background to check how the glow would actually look in space!

Updating ship graphics is not possible as far as i know, but you *could* maybe come up with an artillery weapon that, when bought from a store, could "add" parts to your ship; keeping in mind that whenever you jump to a new beacon those parts would disappear. :| like in this example, the animated parts are not included in the hull image and they disappear while jumping.

Chrono Vortex wrote:As for updating ship graphics mid-fight, the only way I can think to do that is making the entire ship a weapon animation.

What is this wizardry!? :0 Like, you mean a transparent hull image or is there a way to use an animation as the hull??

If a bomb weapon artillery were to target your own ship, would it still fire when not in combat? If so, this could be extended to moving ship parts both in or out of battle. For example, if this is possible, one could maybe try to make a visually-moving centrifuge that runs by "firing" an invisible, useless bomb on your ship (I might try this if possible). The hull itself would only include a black outline of the centrifuge in the example, or maybe the whole ship's "hull" would just be a black outline + glow (the whole ship could be part of the animation, just only certain parts moving), so jumping would look like your ship fades out into hyperspace in addition to creating a large flash. For just combat, one could make a "ramming" weapon as an extending and retracting part of a ship that deals damage every so-often to the other ship.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:16 am

LaytheDragon wrote:If a bomb weapon artillery were to target your own ship, would it still fire when not in combat?

I've experimented with this before, and the answer is no. Bomb artillery weapons only target the enemy ship.
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:55 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:I've experimented with this before, and the answer is no. Bomb artillery weapons only target the enemy ship.

Does this apply to artillery weapons in general? Do they only target the enemy ship?

I'll have to keep this in mind when programming artillery weapon behavior in Overdrive, perhaps implement a tag or setting that allows self-targeting options when modding artillery systems.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:41 pm

John Luke Pack Hard wrote:
Chrono Vortex wrote:I've experimented with this before, and the answer is no. Bomb artillery weapons only target the enemy ship.

Does this apply to artillery weapons in general? Do they only target the enemy ship?

I'll have to keep this in mind when programming artillery weapon behavior in Overdrive, perhaps implement a tag or setting that allows self-targeting options when modding artillery systems.

From my experience, it only targets enemy ships.

Also from my memory the Artillery fires the same way enemy weapons fire hence why enemies never bomb themself or why their burst weapons fire all over the place.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Discord: ATLAS#9226
Lamina

Postby Lamina » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 pm

---
Last edited by Lamina on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Lamina wrote:It was meant as a player ship, but I realised It would be way to small.

too small? well then these https://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=29609 can't possibly be player ships :twisted: