UltraMantis

The Shipyard

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:22 am

The home of abandoned wrecks.
Cutting floor of unused cruisers.
Playground of broken weapons.
Junkyard of discarded drones.

- The FTL modding image repository.

MAKE SURE YOU OWN THE RIGHTS TO AN IMAGE! Or at least that it's public domain.
Respect other's work and only submit images with permission.

What is the Shipyard?

Drawing ships is pretty dificult. Many a modder has resorted to recoloring or reusing bits and pieces of existing imagery. And fair enough, talented artists are few and far between. But what if there was a place where one could look for existing ship images and adapt them for their mod? The Shipyard is one such place.

So if you've got an idea for a custom ship, but can't draw one, OR if you have images that you would like to share, use this thread to share or browse modding images. Ships, weapons, drones or anything that could be usefull in mods.

Happy modding.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
UltraMantis

Re: The Shipyard

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:22 am

I will kick off with several images of ships i have created in the (very sexy) GalCiv2 ship designer. These ships were part of my Ursor race mod which was never released. You may use any of these for your FTL modding purposes.
If you would like a better screenshot, contact me. The ship designer places a light on top of the ship in the preview display, so all top-down images come out with harsh lighting. Screenshots taken in game use neighbouring stars as a source of light so they look better.

I have several hundred ships designed in GalCiv2. Some are pretty, some not so much. Some are pretty ugly. If there's interest, i'll upload some more. For now there's the Ursor flagship and two others, as well as several screenshots taken from the designer (with bad lighting and all).

Enjoy:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

What is the GalCiv2 ship designer?

GalCiv2 is a pretty damn good space strategy game in the 4x vein. While it has it's share of faults and dumb moments, it's ship designer is a wonderfull toy. You are given plenty of parts to use to slap a ship together in nice 3d. While the looks are a bit limited, the shapes are infinite since you can resize parts as you tack them onto the base.

It can be yours for 20 bucks as a digital download (Ultimate Edition).
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Moar ship images:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

All of these were created by me in GalCiv2's ship designer. You may use them freely in FTL mods.
- Contact me if you want a better quality image.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:30 am

Gratuitous bump to this dead topic. Maybe it catches some interest this time 'round.

The excuse for bumping is to let everyone know that GalCiv2 Ultimate is off 75% on Steam for this weekend. It's still one of the best designed 4x TB games, despite much silliness and plenty of downsides. The game is greatly moddable so if you want to go against Daleks and Zerg with a combined Ferengi & Sower alliance, there's little to stop you from making it a reality.

The sexiest part of the package is the wonderfull ship designer. Even with stock parts it's pretty awesome but with mod parts you can go absolutely banana, as some of these screenshots show: http://steamcommunity.com/app/202200

I won't lie to you. The game is pretty old and it has drawbacks, but it's one of the best 4x games i have played and it's very moddable. Perhaps too moddable. ;) You could do a lot worse than give it a shot. Check out some gameplay videos and screenies and head on over to: http://store.steampowered.com/app/202200 if you want to buy it. Offer ends on 21st October, and the price in euros is 4.74 Worth it for the ship designer alone.

Endless Space and Sins are also on sale. Might have some trouble getting keys to activate as it seems a million people jumped at the sale and clogged Stardock's server.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:55 am

You did mention

Ion drones - spliced and recolored some in game drones.
Image ImageImageImage

Recolored Rebels - quite a few people are found of making playable rebel ships, how about good quality recolors I done? all the shadows are exactly where they were.
some modders tend to forget certain shadows or merge layers of shadowing.

Image Image

Image Custom miniship for the rigger (you still need to resize it though, just needs to be a bit taller and more wider to not be stuck in the corner)
I hope this can go here, you did make recolour/ splicing look like something that is a no no here and costume is the aimed target... but recolouring (for some people, due to skill, eye/mental/ visual disability, or programming (eg using paint and no transparent background) to do recolours)

If not I can easily edit my own post and leave the nearly 60% original drone (40% = splicing)

This thread seemed like a good way to help people and some people fall short on image supply and left (if I remember correctly that's why Dry Eagle left) or simply stop or slowed down in progress.

I am trying to make a custom hull but I am still learning how to use gimp, I only learned how to make small custom sections and part. I can't really draw straight lines...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Mantis, if I'm not mistaken, those images of yours can't be used unless you cut them out of the background first. I know I don't speak for all of us, but I for one would be more likely to find a use for this stuff if they were ready-to-use ship sprites.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:55 pm

We he did say PM him for better quality images.
Maybe it also means background free as well? just guessing.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Good point. Why I've been suddenly given the idea of doing a GC2 conversion mod, I have no idea... :oops:

Edit: Key word here is "idea". I have yet to even consider transferring it into FTL.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:25 pm

I won't crop images that will never be used, but if someone asks for a specific one, i can do it. Some hulls also have crap lighting (blame the editor) but they can be screenshotted in the game quite nicely. Cropping sns't really all that difficult, esp. if the source image is clean. The above are mostly examples. :)
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:13 pm

UltraMantis wrote:I won't crop images that will never be used, but if someone asks for a specific one, i can do it. Some hulls also have crap lighting (blame the editor) but they can be screenshotted in the game quite nicely. Cropping sns't really all that difficult, esp. if the source image is clean. The above are mostly examples. :)

Actually, it's quite difficult when all you have are Paint and FastStone Image Viewer. (which I actually managed to use for repurposing ingame assets)