[MOD][WIP]The Halo Mod Updated V1.0.1 Feb 23

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DauntlessK

Re: [MOD][WIP]The Halo Mod

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:07 am

Lord0fHam wrote:Well I'm no artist, but it seems you are...

At least you're not like the salespeople here at my work hahaha. They all think they're the artists while us ad designers who went to college for design are merely good for operating a mac and copying and pasting things... sigh...

Anyway, I'm pretty close to being done with my first ship, so as soon as that is done I will begin work on the Pillar.
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 am

I know it wouldn't be exactly like the original FTL style, but keeping a little bit of the 3d perspective by seeing the top of the ship in the original image might be nice.

EDIT: posted while you were too :D Please feel free to do your mod first of course. It's not like you work for me, you just offered to help.
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 am

Updated to V1.0.1 for increased compatibility!
Lord0fHam

Re: [MOD][WIP]The Halo Mod Updated V1.0.1 Feb 23

Postby Lord0fHam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 am

I am now working with DauntlessK to get a new picture for the Pillar of Autumn. This is his first sketch. Please tell me if anyone has any suggestions to make it better. Keep in mind that this is a first sketch and shadows and final touches are yet to be added.

DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Also, I wanted to suggest, since you're doing a side view layout, maybe you could look into redoing the race pictures (I am pretty sure you said you are anyway, to replace them with halo-themed races) so that they appear as a side view instead of from above, as well as laying out the ship in a way that it really seems like it is a side-view interior. I know some things still won't look right... but you could redo the room images and perhaps make like "elevator" rooms that are long, 1x8 rooms or something that extend dorsal to ventral for the sake of going up and down. I know this also wreaks havoc with air and such... and I'm not sure if there's a way to fix that or not.

Just a thought!
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 am

Yeah I was going to redo races but I'm not that good at art... *hint hint* I do think that I will leave it as a top down view even though it is actually a side view. Redoing all the pictures like that would be really hard. And as you said, the no oxygen stripes wouldn't work for longer rooms.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:21 am

Lord0fHam wrote:Yeah I was going to redo races but I'm not that good at art... *hint hint* I do think that I will leave it as a top down view even though it is actually a side view. Redoing all the pictures like that would be really hard. And as you said, the no oxygen stripes wouldn't work for longer rooms.

I thought there was a workaround or a fix for differently-sized rooms, but maybe not, I'm not sure. It was just a suggestion. I might be able to whip up some new races given time... :D
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 am

Nope, no work around I don't think, and YAY!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:09 am

There is one way to avoid the graphical problem. Well two actually, but both will have an impact on playability.

One way is to use non transparent room sprites, or put "carpets" in rooms. This will make the strips almost impossible to see and will affect the way the player deals with airless rooms. It's not ideal but it can work.
You don't necessarily need to fill the entire room either. As long as you know where the low-oxy stripes end, you can paint machinery, carpets, whatever over the part that is missing the strips and hide the fact. This will only work for system rooms since you cannot paint empty rooms. Even then, it may be possible to stick a "fake" system in a empty room, and paint that. Extra work for sure, but can be pulled off if the ship simply must have a non standard size room.

Another way is to replace the stripes with blank images. This removes them entirely so the mod will play like pre-1.03.1 FTL with the rooms turning pink only. It will again affect the playability and is probably the worst solution but i'm throwing it here as an option.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
theomorphical

Postby theomorphical » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 pm

my favorite mod, keep up the good work you guys (I say guys because 1 of you are doing the animations, and the other is doing the scripting) :P