[MOD][WIP]The Halo Mod Updated V1.0.1 Feb 23

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DauntlessK

Re: [MOD][WIP]The Halo Mod

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 am

Lord0fHam wrote:
DauntlessK wrote:Really cool. Always loved the UNSC ships like the Pillar. If you'd like some help on the graphic side of things, I might be able to help.

Check out my current WIP : http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11604

That's a very cool mod you've got going there! In terms of graphics for mine, the Pillar currently looks ok but not great. If you want to take the picture I have and somehow convert it to a more FTL style drawing, that would be great! Also a cool looking weapon strip for a nuclear missile launcher would be good. Tell me if you want the picture of the Pillar or to help with anything else like weapons or races.

I don't know if you intend to do this with your mod, but I understand pretty well how to code in new weapons and things, so if you want help with that I can help you out too.

I'm sure everyone would love to see the Pillar. Post it here, or you can send it to me if its top secret. We can go from there.
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 am

Here is the Pillar image. (open it in a new window to get the stuff at the far right)
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am

Lord0fHam wrote:Here is the Pillar image. (open it in a new window to get the stuff at the far right)

Beautiful ship. So its going to be from the side and not top down?
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 am

Well, I couldn't find a good image for the top down view, so I just used this one. I also think it wouldn't even look very good that way because it would just be a sort of thin rectangle or something.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 am

Lord0fHam wrote:Well, I couldn't find a good image for the top down view, so I just used this one. I also think it wouldn't even look very good that way because it would just be a sort of thin rectangle or something.

I agree. I am sure I could find a top-down view but yeah it would be very very difficult in terms of playability.
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 am

Feel free to try and make it more in the style of FTL, but please try to keep it the pretty close to the same size, because then I don't have to change anything regarding rooms and stuff.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 am

Lord0fHam wrote:Feel free to try and make it more in the style of FTL, but please try to keep it the pretty close to the same size, because then I don't have to change anything regarding rooms and stuff.

My only issue with that particular image is that there is too much shadow at the bottom where the hull angles away. You lose all of the detail that you can see quite clearly at the top. Something like this works well for info and sizing but obviously is only a simple illustration.

Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:30 am

Well, that's ok but I don't love it. I think it's a little too flat with no angle at all. Though if you are good at art, that could be changed I guess... Also you might be able to get another picture on google and fill in the details.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 am

Lord0fHam wrote:Well, that's ok but I don't love it. I think it's a little too flat with no angle at all. Though if you are good at art, that could be changed I guess... Also you might be able to get another picture on google and fill in the details.

No no it is meant as a reference, not to be used as the final product. If you've seen my project, I've had to use a few different pictures to put together my own illustration of the cruiser I'm using. Its merely used for sizing purposes so things are accurate, and you can use your photo to get fine details and such.

I guess I say that because if you want to pixelate it and give it that FTL look, it needs to be an illustration, a 2D sprite to be specific. The reference you're using for the Pillar is a "photo" (not really since its from a video game, but its a 3d model, so close enough) If you're okay with using that, that's fine, no problem. But if you want to make it look like it belongs in FTL, it needs to be more of an illustration.
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:00 am

Well I'm no artist, but it seems you are, so do what ever you think will make it look best in the FTL setting, but remain true to the original. Then put it up here when you are done.