[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - version 13-5-14

Postby kartoFlane » Tue May 28, 2013 3:50 pm

They're only used to allow you to link them without having to edit the files manually. Purely for convenience.

And that they're not referenced when saving a project, huh... A bug. Gotta get it fixed.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 am

kartoFlane wrote:They're only used to allow you to link them without having to edit the files manually. Purely for convenience.

And that they're not referenced when saving a project, huh... A bug. Gotta get it fixed.

No. Wat i mean is, there is no need to reference any glowing image, since u cant. The game picks the glow image automatically, same way it picks the cloak and shields based on the name of the main sprite. I dont need to manually reference any glowing image, since the game does it by itself, if u notice the blueprint, u will not see any reference to the glowing sprites. This is obvious, but just in case we are not talking about the same thing. Thats the reason its useless to select the glowing interior images.. cuz u cant even see the results, and that will be the only purpose of it.. or maybe the purpose is to have the glowing images copied when u export the project??
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed May 29, 2013 12:12 pm

speedoflight wrote:or maybe the purpose is to have the glowing images copied when u export the project??

Precisely. During exporting, superluminal copies and renames the referenced glow images, so that FTL will use them.

Of course, you can't see the results in editor - that's why I said it's purely for the user's convenience.
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Thu May 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I have a question. When I try to make two variants of the same ship and load them at the same time with GMM, the one I load last always overwrites the gibs and hull of the other ship. Does anyone know of a fix? (I made both with superluminal)
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu May 30, 2013 12:48 pm

That's how FTL modding works. To fix, you have to name your files differently. So, if the second ship is a variant of the first ship, change it from myship.txt/myship_base.png (etc) to myship_2, also remember to change the layout and img properties in the ship's blueprint accordingly.
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Thu May 30, 2013 8:54 pm

kartoFlane wrote:If the second ship is a variant of the first ship, change it from myship.txt/myship_base.png (etc) to myship_2, also remember to change the layout and img properties in the ship's blueprint accordingly.

I think I understand? I just have to rename the files inside the .zip file for the ship?
Example:
If the ship is called ChickenHawk, I have to rename it to chickenhawk_2.txt and chickenhawkbase_2.png? (just add a _2 to all of the file names?)
I'm fairly new at this, so if you can, please explain like I know very little.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Pretty much, yeah. The only other thing you'll have to do is, inside the blueprints.xml.append file, add the _2 to the layout and img names.
So, for example, this:
<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD" layout="kestral" img="kestral">
Should be changed to this:
<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD" layout="kestral_2" img="kestral_2">
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Fri May 31, 2013 2:22 am

How do I edit the .xml file?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am

It's a normal text file. Just open it with any text editor.
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Fri May 31, 2013 11:54 am

kartoFlane wrote:Just open it with any text editor.

Okay, thanks much!