[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - version 13-11-12

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Well, I don't own a Mac, so you actually know more about Macs than I do... You can easily google up a solution, try a phrase like "mac change active java vm", including your Mac OS' version in there.

In case you don't manage to find anything, tell me your MacOS version, I'll try to find something tomorrow.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
opticlops

Postby opticlops » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Cheers, I'm currently using Maverik OS X 10.9
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:53 pm

I googled a bit, from what I found Java may also be located at
System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
so check there.

Either way, what you ultimately need to find is the Java preferences panel, which should also be accessible via:
  1. Click on Apple icon on upper left of screen.
  2. Go to System Preferences
  3. Click on the Java icon to access the Java Control Panel.
opticlops

Postby opticlops » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Well... The problem is that apart from the control panel in preferences, that frameworks folder doesn't exist at all...
I fear somehow it may have been deleted, and now I need a way to completely reinstall Java 6- Folder in Library and all. That, I have struggled to find
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 pm

The Java folder doesn't have to be exactly there, it's just another place where it may be located. It's totally possible that for whatever insane reason, for Maverick Apple decided that such files have to be stored somewhere else completely.

Can you access the Java preferences panel at all, though? That's the thing you need to find in the end, there you (should) have a list of all Java versions currently available on your Mac. Deselect all other Java environments you have installed, so that only the newest (1.7 as of now) will be selected. Exit the window and try to run Superluminal again.
opticlops

Postby opticlops » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Ye I've done that, there is just 1.7, and there is also no Java folder etc. (looked it up on computer wide search)
However here is a pic of the control panel Image
So yeah... Still doesn't work. That is why I'm wondering if I can completely reinstall it.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Well, it appears that it's not possible to switch between JREs.
Which kinda might explain why I initially got it to work with a JDK.

Either way, uninstalling Java 6 and 7, and then installing Java 7 again, should work.
opticlops

Postby opticlops » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh my god, you are an amazing person, thank you sooo much. I am so grateful :'). Now time to make a ship- love you ;)
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:07 am

Hi. Had a couple crashes with v 13-11-12. Not sure what exactly I was doing first time; second time I loaded vanilla ship, tried to add airlock.

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.Main.isDoorAtWall(Main.java:3862)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.elements.CursorBox.canPlaceDoor(CursorBox.java:649)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.elements.CursorBox.mouseMove(CursorBox.java:544)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.MouseInputAdapter.mouseMove(MouseInputAdapter.java:131)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.Main.open(Main.java:763)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.Main.main(Main.java:428)

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.elements.CursorBox.registerDown(CursorBox.java:180)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.elements.CursorBox.mouseUp(CursorBox.java:273)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.MouseInputAdapter.mouseUp(MouseInputAdapter.java:165)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.Main.open(Main.java:763)
   at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.Main.main(Main.java:428)

Also, I guess you can't use project from previous version? I would make changes, save, and ship image would disappear, instead gray box was where it would be. Also cursor was gray box that could make grid disappear when moved over it (left gray trail). Exported ship, loaded it, but it had no weapons or systems or anything but crew, which suffocated.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:24 pm

The Captain wrote:Hi. Had a couple crashes with v 13-11-12. Not sure what exactly I was doing first time; second time I loaded vanilla ship, tried to add airlock.

Both crash reports are puzzling... The first one can only ever occur if the editor failed to load the ship (in which case you shouldn't even be able to edit it), and the other only if a list contained a null item... Which is possible, given how that list is used all across the editor, but it shouldn't really happen :S

TheCaptain wrote:Also, I guess you can't use project from previous version? I would make changes, save, and ship image would disappear, instead gray box was where it would be. Also cursor was gray box that could make grid disappear when moved over it (left gray trail). Exported ship, loaded it, but it had no weapons or systems or anything but crew, which suffocated.

Huh, projects from a way earlier version are working perfectly fine for me. Weird :S
The thing you describe usually happens if there's an error with the drawing part of code, but it usually crahes as soon as you try to do anything...
From what you describe, it looks like something went wrong during exporting. It should print some error messages in the errors console (View > Open Errors Console)

*sigh* I did slap on some blind fixes, and included some artillery changes I made by NewAgeOfPower's request -- basically, weapon mount associated with artillery should now display the artillery weapon's image, if it has one.
Let's say this is still the 13-11-12 release. Updated the dropbox directory.