[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
speedoflight

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - b18-2-13

Postby speedoflight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Thanks for the explanations kartoFlane, i will investigate further and see if i can start making some mods around ;) , i think the possibilites are great but on the opposite of some other modable games out there, this one looks a bit more complicated, well, not complicated but worthy of more patience :D
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 am

Making progress, but i have more doubts. How to add custom cloak and shield graphics? when i go to, the console says "Error: default resources list not found in the package.". Of course im trying to get the graphics from a custom folder, not the game one. It worked with the base image and floor image, but not with cloak and shields. Wat im doing wrong?
And wat is the mini ship image?
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 am

Hmpf. This error should show up either when path to the file you're trying to load is incorrect / doesn't point to a file (which should be impossible), OR when an internal file is missing from inside the program's package. So this leaves only the latter as a possibility, which means that somehow this file was not included.
This is really really weird. I'll look into it tomorrow.

As for miniship, it's the image that is displayed in the hangar in the menu that shows all 9 ships.

edit: Yup, the file is missing, but it can be fixed by just placing the neccessary file next to the .jar (attached the file to this post).
However, even without the list, the images themselves should be loaded regardless - you can display the cloaked image by pressing the Cloak system icon at the top-right corner of the edtior (you may have to resize the window to see it). The edtior might protest a bit during exporting - should it happen, you can silence it by checking the "don't check if files are already present" checkbox before exporting.
Last edited by kartoFlane on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
President Larry

Postby President Larry » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 am

Glitch where I pick a weapon for a ship mount, but it shows up as a glaive beam no matter what weapon I choose. Problem with resource directory or error?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 am

This is weird, it should load the weapon's image without any sort of error... Have you set weapons up before placing the mounts? In that case, open the ship properties and click accept - you don't have to change anything, only to refresh it. If it still doesn't work properly, check whether the glaive beam is the last weapon declared in your blueprints.xml file, I think I know why this bug happens and this information would allow me to confirm it.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:46 pm

kartoFlane wrote:Hmpf. This error should show up either when path to the file you're trying to load is incorrect / doesn't point to a file (which should be impossible), OR when an internal file is missing from inside the program's package. So this leaves only the latter as a possibility, which means that somehow this file was not included.
This is really really weird. I'll look into it tomorrow.

As for miniship, it's the image that is displayed in the hangar in the menu that shows all 9 ships.

edit: Yup, the file is missing, but it can be fixed by just placing the neccessary file next to the .jar (attached the file to this post).
However, even without the list, the images themselves should be loaded regardless - you can display the cloaked image by pressing the Cloak system icon at the top-right corner of the edtior (you may have to resize the window to see it). The edtior might protest a bit during exporting - should it happen, you can silence it be checking the "don't check if files are already present" checkbox before exporting.

Thanks, that worked. 1 thing, when i load the cloak graphic , the editors shows it bigger than it should be, even if it has exactly the same size as the base graphic. Is this how it should be or there is something wrong there?
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Yes, cloak graphic gets stretched to fit dimensions 10 pixels wider in each direction than the base hull image - that's how it is in the game, and Superluminal simulates that.
I assume you've made a common mistake and made both images the same size - just change the cloak's dimensions to be 20 pixels bigger than hull (for example, if hull is 100x100, cloak should be 120x120), and it'll be fine.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:02 am

I encountered a serious bug. I was working on a new ship, i changed some values on the properties section, then i went to save the project and the program crashed. I tried again, and same result. I can only export the ship but i cant save the project. There must be something wrong that makes the program to crash, but i cant find it. I even changed all the values in the properties to default values and still crash. I coudnt find any log file, so im really lost.

Any ideas?
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 am

I'm working on the next version right now, and I might have fixed it already... Anyway,if you're on Windows, try running the application from the .bat file (just double click on it), and try to do what caused the last crash. The log file should appear this time, attach it here.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Hmm, it appears that i removed the main proyect file, so i cant reproduce the bug again.

But, i did this -> since i already had the ship merged with the game, i loaded the ship in superluminal, and i saved the project again with "save project as". And no crash happened. So i cant tell for sure wats happened before.
ImageImage