[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Lord0fHam

Re: [Tool] Yet Another FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - u6-2-

Postby Lord0fHam » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:22 am

I found what I think is a bug (Mac) or I'm doing it wrong and help would be appreciated. When I chose Load Ship and I put in my paths correctly, the options below (player ships, enemy ships, other) become available to click on. However, no amount of clicking actually makes them do anything. Is this a bug or am I just stupid?
Door placement is also not working, as well as system operation places. I also get errors when trying to save over a ship, which I am not really sure how to do. The menu for this seems to be not working right as well.

Keep in mind I might just be doing everything wrong...
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:05 am

kartoFlane wrote:ugh, I really should get myself a Mac VM of sorts (Vagrant?) to test out how the UI aligns. Or a full-fledged Mac, at best. I'll never get the UI right without it ><

Vagrant is an automated system for configuring standardized VMs in VirtualBox, for collaboration or rebuilds.

Article: MacBreaker - How to install OS X Mountain Lion in Virtualbox with iAtkos (2013-01-27).

Historically, virtualizing OSX has been hit or miss, but at least that guide's recent.
Pumpkins10

Postby Pumpkins10 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:50 am

@kartoflane
As of now, I have almost no idea what the package should contain

uhh, I had a quick skim through my applications, and they all follow the same basic structure,

Code: Select all

nameofapp.app / contents / _CodeSignature / CodeResources
                         / Info.plist
                         / MacOS / nameofapp (unix executable file)
                         / PkgInfo
                         / Resources / nameofapp.icns
                                     / - any other resources - FTL has .xml and .txt files in data.dat, and audio, fonts and image files in resource.dat. other files found in this folder include; .strings and .nib found either in folders with an .lproj extension or just standalone in the resource folder and .png files. this folder is different with every application, some containing just the icon, and others having pretty much all of the resources used in the app.

no idea if this helps, but it's worth a shot.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 am

Pumpkins10 wrote:Would it be possible if you or even someone else on the forum make some instructions on how to make the bundle in OSX?

The guide for doing so on Windows should work equally well on OSX, except use some other icon editor (should be easy to find a Mac icon editor for OSX), and drop the ".exe" off tar and gzip.

The main benefit of having OSX is being able to see whether the bundling succeeded.
Once that's confirmed, each new release is only a matter of bumping version numbers in the plist and runme, and dropping in the jar. That can be done blindly on Windows.
Last edited by Vhati on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pumpkins10

Postby Pumpkins10 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 am

@Vhati

as I said earlier, I'm not a coder, the most complex program I've ever written was the standard "hello world"

so If you've already written a guide, I have no idea how to recognise it, It's all jibberish to me.

I just need step by step instructions that show what to do with the files I already have, what application to use etc.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 am

@LordOfHam
Yes, those are all bugs. The door tool turned out to be my fault, I've began laying down groundwork to rewrite the painting system and apparently messed something up. Fixed.
System operation tool, on the other hand, I've no idea what could be wrong... What exactly is happening? Keep in mind that they can only be placed in man-able systems - weapons, engines, shields, pilot and medbay (as occupied slot)

As for the ship browser, this is an expandable tree; once you've selected both paths, ships should be loaded and the three basic categories should become expandable to reveal selectable ships. If that doesn't happen, then this means that the autoBlueprints.xml and blueprints.xml files were not read correctly...

Well, I'm going to try the OSX VM now
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Pumpkins10 wrote:so If you've already written a guide, I have no idea how to recognise it, It's all jibberish to me.
Heh. Okay, less a guide and more an exhaustive description of what should be there.
I was referring to the firehose post. That should look familiar now that you've seen inside other bundles.

I threw together a bundle with an icon of a barcode I had lying around. See if this works.
Edit: Link removed.

When you extract that archive, there should be a "Superluminal_mac_x64_6-2-13" folder, which contains a barcode-skinned bundle.
If it's there and double-clickable, I amended the unix-executable-file (runme) to hopefully write a log in the barcode's folder in case anything goes wrong.
Last edited by Vhati on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heathen

Postby Heathen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Splitstack wrote:Okay managed to fix my problem, turns out I needed to name my hull image file "anything_base." Maybe I missed that somewhere in the read me.

This fixed it for Starbug too. Unfortunately after uninstalling/reinstalling java in an effort to fix this on wednesday Superluminal x64 (Installed x64 java RTE) can no longer find any weapons or augments. This program hates me :P

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday, ended up pulling a 22 hour shift at work and got rudely awoken this afternoon by the wife :evil:
Heathen

Postby Heathen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm

My last post needs to be approved by a mod (maybe next post, as this one needs no approval :S), so can't edit it atm but disregard it. As I redownloaded Superluminal I forgot to set the data/resource paths :P
Pumpkins10

Postby Pumpkins10 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:51 pm

@Vhati

k, the new bundle gives the message "You can't open the application Superluminal because it may be damaged or incomplete"

If applications aren't runnable then they won't have the icon, just a prohibitory symbol over the generic app icon

I can't find an error message in the console, so I can't give you any information about whats going wrong.

inside the bundle looks slightly different to other applications I have, there is a folder called _CodeSignature in the contents folder of all my other applications, it contains the file CodeResources - not sure what it does, but it looks important

none of the other apps have jar files directly in the resources folder either, the minecraft launcher has launcher.jar in a folder called java which is in the resources folder. - I don't know how important that information is, but it's worth a shot