[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - version 13-08-29

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:04 am

@Tassyr
That's really weird. Have you loaded a project, a default ship, or a modded ship? It is possible that someone messed up image names, and glow images don't have the _glow# suffix.

@dalolorn
The feature was intended to be used with single-ship mods, so I didn't implement the ship selection... But seeing as I already have that coded in other parts of the editor, it shouldn't be too hard to wire it up.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
ApexMods

Postby ApexMods » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Well, after loads of trial-and-error with both version 13-08-29 and 13-07-11 I am still at a loss when it comes to room IDs and (subsequently) connecting doors. With the latest release everything still gets messed up no matter what I (don't) do.

I delete all (game and editor) prefs, backup archives, caches, and whatnot, re-install everything from scratch, launch Superluminal (13-08-29), load a ship (via "Load Ship" menu), export it (untouched!) via "Export Ship" menu and all rooms IDs and (formerly) corresponding doors are changed to a total mess in the exported TXT file. Again, without any other interaction by me. After a lot of headaches I had to give up on the new version and returned to the previous release.

With the older version (13-07-11) import and export works largely fine. It maintains room IDs, but will occasionally alter door assignments by itself (again, no manual editing involved). My current workaround for this is to export the ship, install it into the mod and game, quit Superluminal and reset it (delete its game archives, prefs etc.), load the ship in Superluminal again, delete all doors and re-create them (btw - I never use the manual door-linking feature, as I feel the current construct is fragile enough as it is).

It's a completely different story for room IDs. There seems to be no way to predict an exported ship's room IDs with any confidence. Deleting all rooms and recreating them in proper sequence one-by-one often won't yield the expected result, and I cannot see any other underlying system in the resulting IDs either, as they are neither ordered by room creation sequence nor appear to have any any x/y-axis relation (e.g. left-to-right, top-to-bottom), but rather seem to be assigned in a completely arbitrary way.

Sorry if any of this sounds too critical. Please rest assured that I very much appreciate all the hard work you pour into this project, kartoFlane. Just trying to provide feedback in hope for a solution.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:56 pm

The room IDs are bound to be shuffled around, due to how the editor works, but there should be no way at all for it to mess up IDs and link doors/systems to wrong rooms.

I've tried doing what you said, loading a ship via Load Ship, and then exporting it -- and everything is fine for me.
Have you actually tested the exported ship in-game?

Also, don't worry about being too critical, I'm just confused as to what's wrong and why it's not working correctly (when it does for me), trying to figure out what I've missed.
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:13 pm

This tool has been a great help with all of my mods, but there's one thing that's happening that makes it really frustrating to use:

Whenever I move the hull image to attempt to correspond to the grid or the rooms I've already laid out, as soon as I let go of the mouse, the image jumps back to where it was before I moved it. Same goes for when I try to use coordinates. Sometimes it'll move, but never to where I wanted to and whatever this is makes it impossible to successfully create ships. I don't know what's happening or if this is a setting I have turned on but I would like to know how to turn it off.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Definitely not a setting, and definitely should not be happening... Especially since mouseUp action does not execute any position-related function :?
The only thing I can think of that could cause this behaviour is your ctrl + z being stuck somehow...

Does it happen with hull image only? Or any other images/objects (rooms etc)?
ClockALock

Postby ClockALock » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 am

kartoFlane wrote:Definitely not a setting, and definitely should not be happening... Especially since mouseUp action does not execute any position-related function :?
The only thing I can think of that could cause this behaviour is your ctrl + z being stuck somehow...

Does it happen with hull image only? Or any other images/objects (rooms etc)?

Just the hull image. And when I want to, ctrl-z works fine. What's weird is that when I click on the hull image, the coordinates say it's where I put it, but it's not. It'll jump to where I want it, but as soon as I select something else, it jumps back. I can work around it, it's just annoying. I tried updating to the latest version and the same thing happened.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 am

For some reason, I can't give the teleporter room interior images nor glows using your editor. Otherwise, this is the smoothest ship editor I've used.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:53 am

NewAgeOfPower wrote:For some reason, I can't give the teleporter room interior images nor glows using your editor. Otherwise, this is the smoothest ship editor I've used.

The teleporter automatically gets the "teleporter pads" room image. You can't set it, though you can change that image.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:40 am

5thHorseman wrote:Though you can change that image.

This is what I'm looking for. How?
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 am

I forgot where that image is stored, take a look around your unpacked resources. But the problem is that ALL ships with teleporters will use your custom image.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.