[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] Yet Another FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Yes, you can do this using the editor - you have to double-click on the room with the system you wish to change, and in the small window that pops up you have to uncheck "Available At Start" box.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 pm

this editor does everything!!
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
shark

Postby shark » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:59 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@shark
Thanks for the suggestion, will do -- I'm still learning all the programming "etiquette", for lack of a better word.

Coding practices :) np, if you have questions - just ask and some of our superusers will probably support you. Or PM me.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:01 am

This looks good from the screenshots - my last few ships have been done by writing all the room/door and everything code by hand in notepad since the other available editors I tried were... well, terrible (no offense to anyone!) ...I have a plan to release a mod of ~8-10 ships in the next month if I can get an artist to do me a set of graphics for them, and this would certainly speed that up... so, maybe I'll be using it soon too. Nice job in any case.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Sorry for not responding to the posts reporting issues, I've noted the suggestions on my todo list and then forgot to reply... ._.
Either way, another update is ready.

Changes:
  • Added - It is now possible to add ghost crew to ships.
  • Added - Weapon mounts now display image of the weapon that is associated with that mount - it should be displaying exactly as it is going to in the game. It also should load custom images correctly, as long as they're properly named and declared. However, due to the way the image modifications are done, transparency on those images is lost, and sometimes there are weird bugs/artifacts caused by the transformation. Also, weapon images and mounts are now below the hull, as they are in the game.
  • Added - It is now possible to choose the miniship graphic for player ships (it's the image that is displayed in the ship choice menu in the hangar).
  • Added - It is now possible to override shield graphic in player ships with another default shield graphic, without having to include the image in the .ftl package (ex. Engi Cruiser with Kestrel's shield graphic). Just click on the "Shield" button under the tool bar and choose the default graphic you wish to use.
  • Added - Position of any selectable element (except for doors) can now be set to an arbitrary position, relative to the top left corner of the display area.
    Menu -> Edit -> Arbitrary Override allows to set whether you want to allow movement of pinned elements.
  • Fixed - Fixed a bug where it was possible to resize shield selection on player ships.
  • Fixed - Modded ships should now be loaded properly - the latest modification will always be loaded (the one nearest to the end of the file), which is the one that the game uses.
  • Fixed - Fixed placeholder shield alignment on ships when there's no shield image loaded.
  • Fixed - a couple other potentially annoying bugs that have now escaped my memory.
  • Known Bug - the Y coordinate in the arbitrary position box is not being refreshed as often as the X coordinate (it should still be accurate once you've stopped moving, however).
Details can be found in the Documentation, appended at the bottom.

Download directory: Superluminal 2-2-13

@DryEagle
Well, thank you. Frankly, I've had somewhat unfavorable experiences with other editors, too; that's the main reason I decided to take a shot at this project :E

@shark
I'd take you up on this offer, though it seems I have to post a bit more to be able to send PMs. Anyway, there are several issues that I'd like to get some insight on, preferably from someone who's had some experience with 2d graphics in Java, to point me in the right direction.
Chane

Re: [Tool] Yet Another FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - u2-2-

Postby Chane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:06 pm

after redirecting the loading of data to my c/FTLunpacked/data folder it just crashes and fails to start up if I try to, no error message nothing
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:30 pm

C:/FTLunpacked ? Seems like I forgot to delete my config file from the 64 release, again... Just delete the config and run the app again, it'll be re-created, then set up the paths to your unpacked archives in the ship loading window. If the problem persists, then somethings's gone terribly wrong.

Edit: seems like some some pretty nasty bugs snuck into this update, mostly due to the weapon image feature. I've fixed what I could find;
- other ships were classified as enemy;
- loading an enemy or modded ship would crash the app;
- ships with unknown augment (SYSTEM_CASTING in Federation Bomber is a prime example here, due to typo in original blueprints.xml) were always loading SLUG_GEL augment;
- note: enemy ships with weapons defined by preset will load with placeholder weapon mounts, this is intended.

Also added an errors console that I started working on right before I noticed the bugs; was intended for next update, so it won't display everything yet.
Chane

Postby Chane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:02 pm

after also unpacking the resources folder it works. just a tiny little bug it was then
Capt. Spongeatom

Postby Capt. Spongeatom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:07 pm

I've spotted another bug... I think.
Whenever I change the ship's properties and go to hit "confirm," the whole program closes without saving.
Will this be fixed later on?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Got it, found where the error lies, working on a fix now.
...damn, so many bugs, that's what you get for coding at 4 AM. .__.

edit: I have narrowed it down to some weapons' images causing problems (specifically CRYSTAL_1 and FED_ARTILLERY). Is that what you were trying to change in the ship properties? If you could narrow it down to one specific element, that'd help me a great deal.
Last edited by kartoFlane on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.