Renaming New Crew Members?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
KyoPewz

Renaming New Crew Members?

Postby KyoPewz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:36 pm

So pretty simple question, does anyone know of, or has anyone made a mod that lets you rename the crew you obtain through your journey? It really irks me that you cannot do this already. If not, any modders out there care to give it a go? I know me and my stream would surely love it.
thashepherd

Re: Renaming New Crew Members?

Postby thashepherd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Short answer: no.

Medium answer: you can edit the event files to set the name of all the crew members you could possibly get before any given playthrough so they'll always be the same.

Long answer: you can select the name of any crew member you are given in any event if you feel like writing x(n!) events, where x is the number of spawn events and n is the name length you want to support. This still won't help you with stores, and unless you're really fond of asian names like "Wu" or "Oni" you're kind of SOL.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 am

I'd imagine you could edit your save file after getting a new crewmember to change their name, as well...
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:15 am

thashepherd wrote:Long answer: you can select the name of any crew member you are given in any event if you feel like writing x(n!) events, where x is the number of spawn events and n is the name length you want to support.[...] unless you're really fond of asian names like "Wu" or "Oni" you're kind of SOL.

No need to do every letter. A prefab list of any-length names, with choices only for the first few letters, would work too. Still tedious though.

Thread: [REQ/question] regarding names
KyoPewz

Postby KyoPewz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 am

Damn, I thought I had searched the forum good enough for something similiar, guess I was wrong. :P

Well, damn if that doesn't seem a lot harder to do than I thought it would've been. And personally what I was looking for is, for instance a button in the crew menu next to dismiss that lets you rename, because I'm not particulary sick of the original crew names, I'd just like to either rename them all with a theme ( Serenity anyone :P ) or simply rename them with viewers names if they want to be on my ship. Sucks that this seems a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Oh well, guess I'll have to rename them in my head. :D