[MOD][WIP] The Buffalo: Beta (v0.9)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
EchoesofOld

[MOD][WIP] The Buffalo: Beta (v0.9)

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:41 pm

THE FINISHED SHIP HAS BEEN POSTED

You are still welcome to play with my beta versions if you want, otherwise, the full version is here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11327

The Buffalo, Mk I
Buffalo Mk II.JPG

Downloads:
Beta v0.1
(This file is horrendous, and I would NOT reccomend playing with it, but that's up to you in the end.)
Beta v0.9 FST
(This is a Full System Test, for balance purposes. Feel free to play around with this and let me know if I should change something to improve the balance of the ship.)
Beta v0.9
(This is the official ship. Complete with missing systems, and limited power.)

Again, the starting stats on this ship are:

Hull Points: 30

Max Power: 7

Crew:
1 Human
1 Zoltan
1 Engi
1 Rock

Systems:
Engines, Level 4
Medbay, Level 1
Cloaking, Level 1
Oxygen, Level 1
Teleport (4 Man), Level 1
Weapons, Level 1

Sub-Systems:
Sensors, Level 2
Pilot, Level 1

Augments:
Adv. FTL Navigation
Long-Range Sensors
Last edited by EchoesofOld on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
DCChuckles

Re: [MOD][WIP] The Buffalo

Postby DCChuckles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Personally, I would add the weapons system so people don't have to screw around for ages to get a weapon, and up the cloak and engines by 1. But it is pretty cool :)
Last edited by DCChuckles on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 pm

DCChuckles wrote:Personally, I would add the weapons system so people don't have to screw around for ages to get a weapon, up the cloak and engines by 1, and give it a 4-man TP. But it is pretty cool :)

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. So, to make sure I understand you correctly, I should roll with Engines level 4 and Cloak level 2? The 4-Man Port is already in place, so no worries there.

DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 pm

EchoesofOld wrote:
DCChuckles wrote:Personally, I would add the weapons system so people don't have to screw around for ages to get a weapon, up the cloak and engines by 1, and give it a 4-man TP. But it is pretty cool :)

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. So, to make sure I understand you correctly, I should roll with Engines level 4 and Cloak level 2? The 4-Man Port is already in place, so no worries there.

Yup :) I would also (personally) move the O2 back a bit, so it's inbetween sensors and doors, and turn those three 2x1 rooms between the cockpit and the new O2 room into one long corridor. But these changes don't really provide anything new, and ATM it's already great :)
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:12 pm

DCChuckles wrote:
EchoesofOld wrote:

Yup :) I would also (personally) move the O2 back a bit, so it's inbetween sensors and doors, and turn those three 2x1 rooms between the cockpit and the new O2 room into one long corridor. But these changes don't really provide anything new, and ATM it's already great :)

Alright. Sounds like a good idea. I'll change things around and upload the new screenshot this evening.

alextfish

Postby alextfish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:12 pm

When making rooms of nonstandard shapes, be sure to try venting them of oxygen and check how they look with the low-O2 stripes. In most cases they'll look wrong, and you can only have rooms of size 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 :(
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm

alextfish wrote:When making rooms of nonstandard shapes, be sure to try venting them of oxygen and check how they look with the low-O2 stripes. In most cases they'll look wrong, and you can only have rooms of size 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 :(

That's good to know! My first in-game test is going to be this weekend sometime, so I'll make sure I test that. Last I looked, I dont think my FTL has updated to that version yet, so I'll also be updating it.

DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 pm

1x3 rooms are not supported fully by the game; when they have no air, they will have incorrect no-oxygen graphics.
The supported room sizes are 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2. - split the two 3x1 rooms into three 2x1 rooms instead.

Other things I would mention: you may want to put in 2 doors between medbay and teleport, to make sure you can more easily move a group of 4 between them.
Also make sure your medbay is 4-slot by setting the slot number to -2 in the blueprints.

I would also recommend moving the 2 airlocks from teleport/shields to the corridor directly behind piloting, as this way you don't immediately vent potentially important systems (and have to evacuate shields crewnab etc).

If you know how to, I would load up the background image in an image editor and try to tidy it a bit, there looks to be a lot of artefacting, though I can't tell if that's just from your screenshot or the actual background image.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm

DryEagle wrote:1x3 rooms are not supported fully by the game; when they have no air, they will have incorrect no-oxygen graphics.
The supported room sizes are 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2. - split the two 3x1 rooms into three 2x1 rooms instead.

Other things I would mention: you may want to put in 2 doors between medbay and teleport, to make sure you can more easily move a group of 4 between them.
Also make sure your medbay is 4-slot by setting the slot number to -2 in the blueprints.

I would also recommend moving the 2 airlocks from teleport/shields to the corridor directly behind piloting, as this way you don't immediately vent potentially important systems (and have to evacuate shields crewnab etc).

If you know how to, I would load up the background image in an image editor and try to tidy it a bit, there looks to be a lot of artefacting, though I can't tell if that's just from your screenshot or the actual background image.

Thank you for your input good sir! I was already thinking of downsizing the 1x3 rooms to multiple 1x2 rooms (Great minds think alike.) Also, I had no intention of making a 4-slot medbay (unless you think that would help from a balance/power perspective), and I thought crew could move through doors simultaneously? I also do agree about Airlock placement, that seems to make more sense from a ship design standpoint, not to mention gameplay standpoint. And to address your final comment, the background image is not mine, I just found it while browsing Google one day. It IS a bit Hi-Res for FTL's standards, but regardless, that filters into the "Final Tweaks" stage, so it will be a while before I address that issue, if I even need to.

BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 pm

I'd make a new lets play of it, but I want to see some original weapons as well
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269