Custom Augmentations

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
TheSilverErrow

Custom Augmentations

Postby TheSilverErrow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:24 am

I've been playing around with the unpacked FTL data files recently, and I've found coding for Augmentations notably the unimplemented "Personnel Teleporter" yet the code within the blueprints.xml file does not seem to determine what augments actually do. for example even when I make the Personnel Teleporter available in game It doesn't seem to actually work. If anyone knows how to change this help would be greatly appreciated.
Kieve

Re: Custom Augmentations

Postby Kieve » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:46 am

Augment effects are hardcoded into the game, unfortunately. We can technically create 'new' augments, in name only, but they won't do anything. The only purpose to that would be writing an event sequence which uses the new augment as a choice requirement check (much like some events ask you for upgraded systems or specific augments already).

Modifying the effects of existing augments is only possible in very limited fashion, and the ones that are commented out don't have any effect currently.
shark

Postby shark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:09 pm

In other words, augmentations that aren't in the default set can better be called "Valuables" or "Quest Items". It's a viable choice for giving your ship a scrap boost at the start, or as a tie-in hook for custom events.

Other than that they're useless like Kieve said.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
mcbmaestro

Postby mcbmaestro » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Yeah, this is what always gets me about modding: it's often hard to tell what's moddable and what's off limits in the .exe.
shark

Postby shark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:13 pm

mcbmaestro wrote:Yeah, this is what always gets me about modding: it's often hard to tell what's moddable and what's off limits in the .exe.

Ergo, cut your job out for you by asking first?

In essence, there are no limits in .exe .... But without changing the .exe, there are serious limits. Which you need to poke out, or ask about.

If you're not the guy that's gonna dive into the executable, your best bet is to ask first, and turn on the idea-machine last. Or do it the other way around and get disappointed.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.