[TUTORIAL] Creating Player Ships with FTLEdit

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Tails

Re: [TUTORIAL] Creating Player Ships with FTLEdit

Postby Tails » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Cross posted from the FTLEdit thread...

This happens when I run GMM for the first time at the end of Step 6 in the tutorial, any ideas at what I did wrong?
NOTE: I'm running it in command line so that I can read the output and get a screenshot, it rolls by too fast in the console window that GMM launches and then closes when it fails...

http://i.imgur.com/CNGf6tr.png

...Looking at this, It is possible that I haven't installed GMM correctly.

Although it appears to work completely correctly when the only .ftl in the folder is the beginning scrap advantage mod that comes with GMM. Completes packing and launches FTL appropriately.

http://i.imgur.com/SiZRWWd.png
ImDotTK

Postby ImDotTK » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 am

I'm having the same problem, all the other ships work fine, but when I select the kestrals 2nd layout (The ship I'm using for my ship) the game crash, no error, just closes.

Went through the tut step by step up until step 6, tried it, and then it crashes.

I've gone through the files a hundred times checking everything that's been said in this thread, but I can't get it to work.

If anyone figures out how to fix it, please respond to one of these posts.
Tails

Postby Tails » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:04 pm

ImDotTK wrote:I'm having the same problem, all the other ships work fine, but when I select the kestrals 2nd layout (The ship I'm using for my ship) the game crash, no error, just closes.

Went through the tut step by step up until step 6, tried it, and then it crashes.

I've gone through the files a hundred times checking everything that's been said in this thread, but I can't get it to work.

I fixed my particular problem, turned out I was zipping it into a .7z instead of a .zip. But I would suggest for you ImDotTK to start again from scratch and see if it works with you doing all the same things. GMM and FTLEdit have been known to do strange things for strange reasons. I've had to re-start a couple projects and they've worked fine the second time around for absolutely no reason at all. Sorry man and good luck.
Nightshot13

Postby Nightshot13 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:38 pm

I came here in hopes of the guide actually telling you how to install it. It appears not. Its also the only thing im having a problem with now, since i cant install it.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:33 pm

You can create a ship by hand if you learn how to edit the blueprints.xml shipname.xml and shipname.txt files.

In the long run, it's much easier to do it this way. Try looking at this: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Ships
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Nightshot13

Postby Nightshot13 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm

UltraMantis wrote:You can create a ship by hand if you learn how to edit the blueprints.xml shipname.xml and shipname.txt files.

In the long run, it's much easier to do it this way. Try looking at this: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Ships

The only problem with that one, is it doesn't tell me what to actually do, which i find is missing in a lot of tutorials these days.

Edit: Disregard that. I got it working. Now i have the problem of 'wtf do you mean by copy your ships image?' From where do i copy it? I didn't know you had to go through a training course for this.
ImDotTK

Postby ImDotTK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Tails wrote:
ImDotTK wrote:I'm having the same problem, all the other ships work fine, but when I select the kestrals 2nd layout (The ship I'm using for my ship) the game crash, no error, just closes.

I fixed my particular problem, turned out I was zipping it into a .7z instead of a .zip. But I would suggest for you ImDotTK to start again from scratch and see if it works with you doing all the same things. GMM and FTLEdit have been known to do strange things for strange reasons. I've had to re-start a couple projects and they've worked fine the second time around for absolutely no reason at all. Sorry man and good luck.

Damn, first time I tried it after reading this (I changed the FLT file to always open with .zip so that I could edit it and still have it in .ftl) and it works...

Just as I was about to give up on FTL modding. Seriously, where is this like button at?
ImDotTK

Postby ImDotTK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Nightshot13 wrote:
UltraMantis wrote:You can create a ship by hand if you learn how to edit the blueprints.xml shipname.xml and shipname.txt files.

The only problem with that one, is it doesn't tell me what to actually do, which i find is missing in a lot of tutorials these days.

Edit: Disregard that. I got it working. Now i have the problem of 'wtf do you mean by copy your ships image?' From where do i copy it? I didn't know you had to go through a training course for this.

To get the ship image you have to have the resources unpacked already, if you've done that all you have to do is go into the FTL game folder, resources and then go into resources unpacked and grab your ships image (The exact one) from the ship folder.
Last edited by ImDotTK on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:53 am

Or maybe not? Game resources are not to be distributed.

Unpacking game files is very easy. Use the Dat Manager to unpack resources.

Inside your FTL folder is a subfolder named resources. In it are two files: data.dat and resources.dat
Make a backup copy of those files.
Create a folder called unpacked.
Use the Dat Manager to open resources.dat, then export all files to unpacked.
Again with Dat Manager, open data.dat, then export all files to unpacked.

You now have all the game files unpacked. img/ship contains the ship images, layouts, shields etc. data contains the ship configuration files and the blueprints.xml file. Those are most important for ship editing.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
ImDotTK

Postby ImDotTK » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 am

UltraMantis wrote:Or maybe not? Game resources are not to be distributed.

Sorry, edited post.