3D Ship

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kinorunner

3D Ship

Postby kinorunner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Done a quick 3D ship, weapons too ( heavy laser and ion bomb )- based on the Vortex's layout, still unable to properly use ShipEditor... but it seems not as it is.
Question: does anyone know if it's possible to increase the game resolution? Many small details disappear when packed to FTL resolution...
Thanks for the help!

[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/692/basilisklayoutcopy.png]
[img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/23/basiliskcopy.png]
Last edited by kinorunner on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kieve

Re: 3D Ship

Postby Kieve » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Whoa...! Now that is a fascinating ship...
Glad to see you've gotten things functional on the modding front, despite the troubles with the ship editor. I'd suggest learning the "old skool" method and writing out your ship.txt layout file manually - it's tedious work, but good knowledge to have.

-Sorry to break it to you, but FTL's resolution is fixed. As of 1.02, it'll scale down to play on smaller monitors, I think, but doesn't go any higher than the default 1280x720.
Springy

Postby Springy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Impressive I must say. I do think however that the inside doesn't fit too well due to some overlapping corners, otherwise that's really well done.
That doom player. My Doom speed demos: http://doomedsda.us/player435lmps.html
Youtube: D4V35PR1NG Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198050485606/
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm

Kieve wrote:Whoa...! Now that is a fascinating ship...
Glad to see you've gotten things functional on the modding front, despite the troubles with the ship editor. I'd suggest learning the "old skool" method and writing out your ship.txt layout file manually - it's tedious work, but good knowledge to have.

-Sorry to break it to you, but FTL's resolution is fixed. As of 1.02, it'll scale down to play on smaller monitors, I think, but doesn't go any higher than the default 1280x720.

You can play FTL on smaller screens now? YAY!
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:11 am

kinorunner wrote:Question: does anyone know if it's possible to increase the game resolution? Many small details disappear when packed to FTL resolution...

No it's not possible. The graphics assets are designed for a fixed 1280x720 resolution. You have to design your 3D model accordingly, and render your final image to a compatible size.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
kinorunner

Postby kinorunner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Thank you all!

@ Kieve: right, i'll go for the txt layout, I didn't realize I could... good advice man, as always!

@ Springy: yes, maybe the two upper corners are overlapping the chassis - I'll scale the ship a bit up. ( Anyway, I like to think that rooms are not really as they appear, it's just a schematic representation to make the game experience more comfortable to the eye...I mean, I can't believe I got perfectly square rooms in my ship, just as houses have...no, those corridors MUST be claustrophobic tunnels, those rooms must be irregular in shape and filled with equipment attached to every wall, and so on...much more like ISS than NCC! ;))

Now, back to the new Slug cruiser...thanks again guys!
kinorunner

Postby kinorunner » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:44 pm

Slugs like it...
celozzip

Postby celozzip » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:24 pm

can you take better compressed screenshots? most of that looks like jpeg artifacts to me.
kinorunner

Postby kinorunner » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:29 pm

@ Celozzip
Yes they are low res jpgs. Honestly I don't know how to post hi res!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:10 am

kinorunner wrote:@ Celozzip
Yes they are low res jpgs. Honestly I don't know how to post hi res!

Use a separate image-host like imageshack or photobucket and the [img] tags, rather than trying to save the screenshot as an attachment.
Also, REALLY loving the look of these, they're just visually fascinating to me. Definitely not suited to FTL's default "sprite" theme, but in this instance I don't care. I do have to ask though, how do you account for the gibs when they get destroyed?