[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Darkfrost

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: An FTL Ship editor NEEDS TESTERS!

Postby Darkfrost » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 am

Aha, thank you very much! I'll fix those asap :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:31 am

New version up with several fixes, same url: http://toastedlemons.com/FTLShipEdit.zip

Fixes:
- Crash on cancelling loading images
- Not saving augments
- Not saving offset
- Not loading offset
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
xnemth

Postby xnemth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 am

Using the updated FTLEdit, Steam Install, Windows 7 64bit, running the editor with admin rights

1. Does not Extract data or resource.dat files.
----Used Download ftldat function, downloaded latest version, installed. Still did not extract. Window pops up and closes real fast after selecting the two files. Did command line extraction using ftldat, that works fine.

2. After manually extracting dat files, the program sees the correct folders to allow editing. However, I can't figure out how to get the edits to work in game, and often the EXPORT .FTK button in options results in an unhandled exception. Could not append the blueprints file for some reason either. Ideas? What am I doing wrong?
kalen2701

Postby kalen2701 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:59 am

Is there a difference if I have the steam version? I'm just not understanding where to put the paths to where the files go and such.
Choggomac

Postby Choggomac » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:15 am

Ok, tested out the latest version, it still doesn't save Augments, BUT, it doesn't remove the default ones anymore

When you load a BG and reposition it...it doesn't seem to change anything in game, or at least rooms were offset to the up and left

Here is my little request list.
Ability to set default reactor lvl
Ability to Edit crew

Otherwise things work well, and btw...I can't thank you enough for taking the time and writing this program
Choggomac

Postby Choggomac » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:29 am

Ok, for those of you who need help getting the everything to work. It doesn't matter if you have the Steam version or not, they are the same game, just Steam chooses your install folder (well used to)

First you need to go into the options and click download ftldat, then run the installer for ftldat.

The Extract Files button didn't work for me, so you'll have to manually extract the Data and resource files using ftldat (It's not hard, if I can figure it out, anyone can.)

once you get that done, the rest is easy, keep in mind it doesn't matter where you extract the data and resource files, this is just for editing.

this may be a bug, but when you choose the path for the extracted data and resource file in the ship editor, choose the main folder not the sub folder. in my case, right now I have my data.dat files extracted to c:\FTL\data and my resource.dat file in c:\FTL\Resource. BUT as above, in the ship editor options, the path to extracted data.dat and resource.dat is just c:\FTL
hellcatv

Postby hellcatv » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 am

Darkfrost wrote:Ah, yeah, instructions, sorry! Knew I forgot something!

As for putting it on github - I'm planning to, but I need to tidy up a lot of the code first, as there's a silly amount of things I'm unhappy with at the moment!

You rock, Darkfrost!

Let me know if you want help tidying things up.
xnemth

Postby xnemth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:36 am

Then we need to repack the data file manually I guess?

I replaced the extracted text file for a ship, repacked, and got it in game that way. The blueprint.xml appending is an issue for me still. I'm using the correct command line, it appends the file, I repack data.dat but no changes (aside from the text file floorplan) make it in game.
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:58 am

Don't repack it, export it as a .ftl, or seperately and repack it into an ftl and load it with GMM

this may be a bug, but when you choose the path for the extracted data and resource file in the ship editor, choose the main folder not the sub folder. in my case, right now I have my data.dat files extracted to c:\FTL\data and my resource.dat file in c:\FTL\Resource. BUT as above, in the ship editor options, the path to extracted data.dat and resource.dat is just c:\FTL

Not so much a bug, it's kinda how the file is structured.
In data.dat, there's a folder called data, with the files in
In resources.dat, there's various subfolders
So you pick the root folder for both, if that makes sense

Ability to set default reactor lvl
Ability to Edit crew

Going to bed now, but will do it tomorrow :)
Choggomac

Postby Choggomac » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:39 am

for people who dont plan to dab much in other mods, I recommend just export to .ftl and using GMM, does all the work for you unpacking, replacing, and repacking the data/resource files.

Right now I'm using this ship editor, Diversity Mod, and HighRez background Mod with no issues, obviously as each mod changes different aspects of the game.