Ship engine effects?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
producer123

Ship engine effects?

Postby producer123 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before, I didn't find anything in my search on the forums, but at the same time no ships currently made have what I'm looking for, unless they are a Kestrel >_>. I refer to the glow effects on the Kestrel's engines. its not repeated anywhere at all, I can't find the effects in the game files and there really isn't any mention of it.

now because of the sparsity of information I assume this has been asked before and isn't reproducible (I vaguely, remember a thread about the engines being hardcoded?) which is sad if true, any mentioning of this changing in FTL AE?

and what is the feasibility of altering the System glow images to fake the engine glow on the back of a ship?
Jumbocarrot0

Re: Ship engine effects?

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 pm

There is an image in, i belive, the effects folder of the img folder showing the engine glow. This glow appears on the kestrel and federation ships. The animation and where it appears is hard coded and the only way to have it appear on your ship in vanilla game is to have your ship completely replace all files of either any kestral or federation ship, specifically the ship's images and files, i.e. kestral.xml and kestral.txt. And the engine glow will only fit on the custom ship if the engines of said ship are in the exact same place and are the exact same shape of the kestral/federation crusier's engines.
Sorry if this is confusing.
ImageImage