[MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.2

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
mqstout

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3

Postby mqstout » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:38 am

I verified I do not have the 2-cost-repair-drone problem.
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:39 pm

I just tried out "Better Planets and Backgrounds" and "Better Asteroids" mods. Wow, great stuff! Thanks for providing these excellent mods!

"Better Asteroids" still has a bug with nebula animation. (Running FTL v1.03.1 on Mac, running with "Better Planets and Backgrounds" v1.3 but no other mods.) I can't wait for a new version!

I'm really torn between v1.2 and v1.3 of "Better Planets and Backgrounds". I like the Hubble pics, but I love the original artwork and would like to see more of it. If I only want to see the original artwork, is there a better option than simply hanging on to a copy of v1.2?
Sacarathe

Postby Sacarathe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:42 pm

mqstout wrote:I verified I do not have the 2-cost-repair-drone problem.

I spent sometime looking into that, and i think that my game was rolled back by the mod manager.

/me amateur hour

EDIT:

Deleted FTL, reinstalled FTL(steam), reinstalled mod manger, reinstalled mod, ran game, drone needed 1 energy, ran mod manager patched the mod onto the game, drone required 2 energy, anyone help?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Sacarathe wrote:... i think that my game was rolled back by the mod manager.

Deleted FTL, reinstalled FTL(steam), reinstalled mod manger, reinstalled mod, ran game, drone needed 1 energy, ran mod manager patched the mod onto the game, drone required 2 energy, anyone help?

Did you delete unpacked files and backups? See this. If you did, is it possible steam cloud restored them?
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Sacarathe

Postby Sacarathe » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 am

I did manually delete the contents of the resources folder, they are still in the recyclebin, i will repeat the tasks stated including checking up on steam cloud and removing all files. Has anyone else confirmed the other problems with this great mod I have encountered?
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm

I love the planets and backgrounds in this mod -- great stuff! But I really don't like the poor rendering artifacts of the nebula on the Mac. Is there a version of this mod that doesn't include nebula? Or is there any easy way for me to turn off the nebula part of this mod?

I've rolled back and am just using the "High-res graphics" mod instead. Very nice but doesn't have the diversity and startling beauty of a lot of the graphics in this mod.
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:02 pm

is it possible to show a screenshot of those artifacts ?

because i did something maybe not optimal with the nebula, its double the resolution than the original... but i never had any problems unless this little bug where the mouse pointer gets a bluish thingy over one or more buttons...

i run the game in full screen @1920x1200... i don't know if it has anything to do with that, so if anyone has any problems it would be good to know how you run the game, maybe it will turn out this is just a problem that occurs in windowed mode etc...

and you could rename the .ftl file back to .zip, extract it, search for the nebula pics, delete them, repack it back to a .zip and rename it to .ftl, just keep the folder structure. or maybe disable nebula animation if you ok with a non animated nebula.
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Ah, thank you both for the offer of support and for explaining how to run w/o nebula. I'll try both.

I run in windowed mode on a Mac, and not via Steam. I'll capture some screenshots of the artifacts, then I'll try running in full-screen mode to see if it works better. If it doesn't work better, I'll try ripping out just the nebula pics as you describe and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Really looking forward to turning on this mod again! The high-res graphics mod is fantastic but it doesn't take your breath away as often as this mod does. :^)
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 am

The Mac version has 4 video modes. Every mode renders nebula badly, though some are worse than others. If there's a new version without this problem, I'd love to see your nebula backgrounds, I'm sure they're excellent. :^) Otherwise, I'll try hacking them out and see how that works.

Pic 1: fullscreen "borders" mode
mac-fullscreen-borders-low.jpg

Pic 2: fullscreen "native" mode
mac-fullscreen-native-low.jpg

Pic 3: fullscreen "stretch" mode
mac-fullscreen-stretch-low.jpg

Pic 4: windowed mode
(See next post.)
rhaining

Postby rhaining » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:06 am

Pic 4: windowed mode
mac-windowed-low.jpg

Notice that in 2 modes, you see some sort of vertical scan lines, but it's not so bad. But in the other 2 modes, there are 2 nasty problems. 1: several UI elements are glowing making it very difficult to see or use them. 2: there is some sort of bleed through from other background images behind the nebula. (There should be no rebel fleet or asteroids behind the nebula.)