[MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.2

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Estel

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.1

Postby Estel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:31 am

...and it was answered already, that there is no way to make them go across the screen, as we're limited to using planet images for making those hyperspace trails. So, going across the screen, they would end abruptly, making it look REALLY unnatural.

Honestly, I'm very fond of how hyperspace events are working now, with this graphical effect and sound. BTw, the ship isn't traveling anywhere, cause it's just sitting on our top-down view - we have to imagine that it's flying through space, dodging, making attack runs, etc. Heck, all ships except kestrel doesn't even have different effects for engines enabled and disabled...

If we can imagine this thing actually dogfighting, noticing that the stars-trails is what we actually see from bridge shouldn't be too hard ;) Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind making it look even more coherent, but I don't see any available mechanic, so call it modding limitation.

/Estel
scooterbaga

Postby scooterbaga » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 pm

So... If I put together some background fixes for some of the Captain's Edition... I should post them only to that thread, right?

I've used/"tweaked" hubble images for desktop wallpapers for years. I've noticed, for whatever reason, that a bunch of them look like they were taken with Grandma's old camera. They're all the same tinge of yellowish, and it bothers me. Basically, another one of those things no one in their right mind would ever notice... (To the extent that I'm betting quite a few people wouldn't even notice the changes via the replacer...)

I'm testing a couple pulsar replacers now...
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 am

Estel wrote:...and it was answered already, that there is no way to make them go across the screen, as we're limited to using planet images for making those hyperspace trails. So, going across the screen, they would end abruptly, making it look REALLY unnatural.

Aaaahhh, I didn't quite understand before. :roll: In that case they are perfectly fine. :D
The hyperspace sound is a pretty cool addition too. How did Sleeper add that in? And where did he get it from?

scooterbaga wrote:So... If I put together some background fixes for some of the Captain's Edition... I should post them only to that thread, right?

I'll have to look at those more closely. They look a lot more colorful. Sometimes I think that the darker, "yellowish" tinge though is done on purpose to be a bit more easy on our eyes. :geek: And then even in addition I've noticed a lot of people use .flux which makes everything yellowish anyway.

I tried a better ship colors mod that makes all of the player and enemy ships have brighter colors, but in the end I decided that I liked the vanilla ships more. When I think about it, the darker colors give sort of a "Firefly" western feel. ;) A lot of other sci-fis too don't have incredibly bright colors.

Keep up the good work though, I would really like you to continue all your little tweaks. I think you should actually make a whole new thread and include all of your fixes so they are easier for people to find. ;)
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:04 pm

As for tweaked hubble images - I agree that some old ones were too yellow, but new ones seems too red, all of sudden :D Probably a habit, but sticking back to old ones, here.
scooterbaga

Postby scooterbaga » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Estel wrote:As for tweaked hubble images - I agree that some old ones were too yellow, but new ones seems too red, all of sudden :D Probably a habit, but sticking back to old ones, here.

Well, I didn't edit all of the hubble images... Somewhere along the line nasa stopped the yellowing thing. I just stuck to the ones where it stood out.

I think there's some sort of in-game color filter effects. I also noticed some planets/images eerily having the same color schemes at times. I think FTL overlays tones, which threw me a few times when images I know I'd replaced didn't seem to look the same in-game.

If you wouldn't mind opening up the ftl as if it were a zip file and calling out the filename of the image/images in question?

If my above theory isn't true, then there may be some quirky color mode issue that I'm unaware of. (Or I just screwed up.)
scooterbaga

Postby scooterbaga » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 pm

For those still watching this thread... Versions 3/4 of the pds shot. (From here out stuff goes here.)

FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:25 am

I'd like to ask a small question, if I may. I love this mod, it's absolutely gorgeous and I'd kill to use it all the time like I want to. But my laptop doesn't seem to like playing ball with it and CE together, mostly due to the size of Better Backgrounds (when I tried it without CE, it alone skyrockets FTL's size to lag limits with me having 4GB of RAM, so playing it with CE is kind of out of the question). Is there at all any way to make a smaller version of the mod that won't be as memory heavy?

Either way, it is a beautiful mod, and I have to thank the maker for it ♥
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:27 am

FortunaDraken wrote:when I tried it without CE, it alone skyrockets FTL's size to lag limits with me having 4GB of RAM, so playing it with CE is kind of out of the question). Is there at all any way to make a smaller version of the mod that won't be as memory heavy?

I'm on 4GB RAM here without any slightest issue, and I don't think FTL with all modded bells and whistles even comes close to using 10%of it. I would suspect other issue in your system.
scooterbaga

Postby scooterbaga » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:16 am

It's a 32 bit program, right? So unless you've used the Large Address Aware thing, it can't use more that 2GB of memory... I believe that's explained somewhere in the Captain's Edition OP. Another thing to look into is if there are any other "needy" programs running. Chrome can be a ridiculous resource hog with only a few tabs open. The Task Manager might help ferret something out.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:24 am

My system does have a habit of freaking the hell out when anything large opens (I've watched the System in Task Manager suddenly skyrocket to using over 100% of the disk when opening Infinite EL CE before), so it may be that, but I have no idea how to stop it :c

Admittedly I did change browsers from Chrome to Pale Moon since the last time I opened FTL with Better Backgrounds on. I'm the kind of person who likes playing while listening to a video, and multitasking a lot. Having a game eat up all the memory saddens me because of that. I'll see if it's still being an issue, but yeah, a smaller version would be amazing all the same. I don't know how you'd do that without losing image quality though, so I am a useless person, sob.