[MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.2

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
scooterbaga

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.1

Postby scooterbaga » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:46 am

Unless you're willing to quit some other apps, your solution is more ram. And make sure you're used the LAA thing on FTL exe. Check your task manager, see what's using resources. There could very likely be some stupid program that you never use in your notification area eating up resources.

From the Captian's Edition OP:
Nicb1 wrote:GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
I got Endless Loot 0.97 working by using a program to allow FTL to access more ram.
You just have to apply this fix to the FTLgame.exe and it'll launch without any issues.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... re.112556/
I just tested the game properly after applying this patch and it runs perfectly :)
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Laptop means getting more RAM is probably way too hard for a tech newb like myself, orz

Also this is odd. I tried to add Better Backgrounds to see how much memory it was taking up, and while the Slipstream doesn't give an error or anything, it very clearly isn't installing as I'm getting all the old backgrounds (plus it apparently takes like, no time at all to patch, while CE takes a little bit and it's much smaller). I just recently redownloaded the latest version, and other mods work fine...hmm.

EDIT: This is what the mod manager says: "This mod doesn't append. It clobbers."
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:32 am

Because it clobbers ;) It's normal. I would suspect, that some stupid thing (Steam? Windoze?) rollback your files just after you patch them. Solution? either spend a lifetime trying to determine WTF, or spend a day and install some sane operating system, like Debian (or any other GNU/Linux based OS). Then live in eternal happiness and curse all the time you've wasted on dealing with windows, which, incidentally, is the OS that bravely fight problems and demons, that doesn't exist under any other OS ;)

/Estel

// Edit @below:
So much for reading with understanding :/
Last edited by Estel on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Not Steam, because I didn't have it open at the time, and I have no idea what the other thing is. Please don't mock me for having an issue, because your post sounds very much like you're talking down to someone, and I don't appreciate it. Every other mod works just fine. I play Infinite Captain's Edition a lot with absolutely no issues. It's this one alone that is giving me issues, and I'd like to find out what it is, so that I may fix it. I already close most of the programs I have open when I run my PC in order to keep memory consumption down.

So please don't treat me like an idiot, because while I don't know modding very well, I do know my laptop, and I know it isn't interfering with my game. Simply 'downloading another OS' is not an answer to an issue.
19acomst

Postby 19acomst » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:34 pm

can someone put up a .ftl download link? because i lack the admin password and permission from the admin to install 7zip.
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:31 pm

you can extract 7z files with winzip and winrar too, and probably other archive programs.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 pm

Ih he lacks admin privilleges to install 7zip, the same apply to other non-system-default programs, I guess. Anyway, extracting on other machine, and bringing extracted file on a pendrive/whatever would still work.

Or, if we're talking about unsafe system, like any_windoze (which I suspect is the case here), go rogue and use kon-boot, the log in as admin anyway ;)
But I haven't suggested that, this isn't the solution you're looking for, move along...

/Estel
19acomst

Postby 19acomst » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:49 am

Estel wrote:Ih he lacks admin privilleges to install 7zip, the same apply to other non-system-default programs, I guess. Anyway, extracting on other machine, and bringing extracted file on a pendrive/whatever would still work.

Or, if we're talking about unsafe system, like any_windoze (which I suspect is the case here), go rogue and use kon-boot, the log in as admin anyway ;)
But I haven't suggested that, this isn't the solution you're looking for, move along...

/Estel

Thanks for the reply. Does the 7zip file extract into an ftl file?
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:03 pm

19acomst wrote:Thanks for the reply. Does the 7zip file extract into an ftl file?

It's actually easier to save the file as an .ftl to begin with. That's how I've been saving my files, because everything wants to download as a .zip file that extracts out into the components of the mod rather than the .ftl file.

When you save it, you should be able to change the "Save file type as" option from the 7zip to "All files types". Name it whatever you want and put .ftl on the end of it and it'll save as the .ftl file you need. It's handy.

Still would love a hand working out why BB doesn't work on my machine. I am saddened by the lack of pretty.
19acomst

Postby 19acomst » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:46 pm

FortunaDraken wrote:
19acomst wrote:Thanks for the reply. Does the 7zip file extract into an ftl file?

It's actually easier to save the file as an .ftl to begin with. That's how I've been saving my files, because everything wants to download as a .zip file that extracts out into the components of the mod rather than the .ftl file.

When you save it, you should be able to change the "Save file type as" option from the 7zip to "All files types". Name it whatever you want and put .ftl on the end of it and it'll save as the .ftl file you need. It's handy.

Still would love a hand working out why BB doesn't work on my machine. I am saddened by the lack of pretty.

I understand that, but if you unzip the .7zip file, does it lead to resource folders or a .ftl file?