[MOD] Weapons of Mass Distraction v0.7

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
VanguardOfValor

Re: [MOD] Weapons of Mass Distraction v0.7

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:24 pm

I think "Hades Missiles" or "Titan Missiles" could be a good name for the Hull Smashers.

And maybe "Hydra Missiles" for the rapidfires? Going for the whole "multiple heads attack quickly" thing. :P

EDIT: Turns out you already used Hades for the Hull Smasher missiles? Guess I should have looked earlier. :P
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Ruko

Postby Ruko » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:56 pm

no, I used Hades missiles for my anti-crew missiles ;)
I like Titan and Hydra however!
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:05 pm

I usually take a more military bent with my weapon names, but these resources might help you:

World missiles by name
United States missiles by name

There's some great stuff in here. "Skeeter", "Tern", "Green Flash", "Shillelagh", "Falconer".
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm

thashepherd wrote:I usually take a more military bent with my weapon names, but these resources might help you...

The thing is, all of the missiles that are already in the game are named after things from greek mythology, so if you use something else for custom missiles, they don't really fit in with the rest of the scheme.

I imagine people could also make mods that just rename everything to other schemes... I kind of like the mythological angle, though. :P
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm

VanguardOfValor wrote:
thashepherd wrote:I usually take a more military bent with my weapon names, but these resources might help you...

The thing is, all of the missiles that are already in the game are named after things from greek mythology, so if you use something else for custom missiles, they don't really fit in with the rest of the scheme.

I imagine people could also make mods that just rename everything to other schemes... I kind of like the mythological angle, though. :P

See if you can work Kronos in there, somewhere. He's kinda the OG of the greek mythological, uh, mythos.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
alextfish

Re: [MOD] Weapons of Mass Distraction v0.6

Postby alextfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Ruko wrote:Still on my list of things to do:
Ruko wrote:
    -Add new weapons to some enemy ships
    -Completely overhaul the flagship battles... hopefully
    -Add an event which awards the nuke
    -Find a way to tweak weapon appearances.. and I'm terrible with art-related things. At the very least I want my two Ion beams to be blue instead of red, both weapon and laser.
Good luck with those... I don't think it's possible to make the ion beams blue, much though we'd like to. (Similarly the Anti-Bio Beam should be green, but I don't think we can do that either.) It's just about possible that with disassembly and sufficient hacking of the raw code, you could work it, but I suspect the best you'll be able to do is make all beams green or blue.

Similarly, the flagship battles aren't anywhere near as scriptable as you'd like. We can change the weapons the flagship has, and its layout or ship design, but not its special attacks or how it does its running away trick or anything like that.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
marted

Postby marted » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:15 pm

You should replace the anti-bio beam drone with a fire beam drone. :ugeek:
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:58 pm

marted wrote:You should replace the anti-bio beam drone with a fire beam drone. :ugeek:

I can agree to that one
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
POM_Fenris

Postby POM_Fenris » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey all, I don't know if this thread is still living, but I'm having troubles with the mod. For whatever reason the Drill Beam isn't causing hull breaches. It fires but does precisely dick. Any help?
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 pm

POM_Fenris wrote:Hey all, I don't know if this thread is still living, but I'm having troubles with the mod. For whatever reason the Drill Beam isn't causing hull breaches. It fires but does precisely dick. Any help?

For whatever reason, no one can get breach beams to actually work. It isn't just this mod. :P