[MOD] The Kestrel MK II

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Soberized

[MOD] The Kestrel MK II

Postby Soberized » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:40 pm

This mod changes the Kestrel.
It now has a better layout, comes with better Equipment and a four-man crew.

Download (RS) -This ship requires Grognak's Mod Manager to install.

BrenTenkage

Re: [MOD] The Kestrel MK II

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Think I'll lets play this in the near future, looks like an interesting ship design. Ever think about altering the design of other ships.

Try doing that, I'd like to see the other original ships altered a bit
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
NizmoGTS

Postby NizmoGTS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 am

Well, it is a better design than the original Kestrel.

There is one glaring problem: The facade of the shield. I don't know if its just me, but while the "shield" that I see covers the entire ship, the actual shield is much smaller and is outlined by the defense drone. This causes some parts of the ship (cloak, teleport, bridge, part of the engine, back airlock) to be effectively exposed to ANY attack outside of the real shield.

Besides that, nice design.
fylth

Postby fylth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Looks nice, except it desperately needs new room sprites, the stretched ones in the screenshot really look bad
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, you need to fix the shield ellipse and the room sprites. There's a big list of things that FTLEdit leaves not particularly well done, and the shield ellipse and room sprites are near the top of the list.

You ought to be able to use images that already exist in the ship/interior directory for the pilot, shield, drone and oxygen rooms. The 6-space rooms (engines and medbay) are new so you'll have to edit an image yourself for that, but it's really easy to do.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Merf Avenger

Postby Merf Avenger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Was doing so well and I was defeated because the shield flaw by the Overpowered Ubercruiser known as the Rebel Flagship. So sad. Apart from that issue this is my favourite ship so far.